Thread: Brake line bust or???

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328ic

Brake line bust or???

Last week as I was driving I was coming to a normal stop and I heard a "pop" sound and felt my brake pedal give way. I was able to come to a safe stop but had to continually pump my brakes. While stopped if I pushed my pedal it would offer a little resistance but would easily continue to the floorboard if not being pumped. I drove this way for a couple more miles to work, pumping my brakes at each stop.

When I left work later that day, upon starting my car and pressing the brake before putting it in gear, the pedal went to the floorboard with little if no resistance. However when this occurred the brakes did engage and would adequately stop my car, feeling like the old model manual brakes.

My questions are;
    1. Is this a brake line issue or could it be something else?
    2. Considering I drove the car back and forth to work for 2 more days with the current "manual" braking conditions can I safely assume this isn't a master cylinder issue?
    3. As a mid level DIY mechanic on my car (replaced pads and rotors, misc. evap hoses and canisters, window regulators and seat motor gears), without any flare wrenches or bleeder systems, should I just bite the bullet and take it to my (non-stealer dealer) repair shop to take care of the issue?

Thanks for any guidance gang!
    Andy

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Inspect calipers and hoses at all 4 wheels, the brake fluid should help identify the location of the leak.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    First inspect master cylinder fluid level

If you have an external leak pumping brakes on the spot will drop level easily.

"Pumping up" Sounds like master cylinder seals, you cam usually detect fluid in the servo by either unbolting master and easing forward or if bad dipping for level through the vacuum pipe apature.
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328ic
    Removed all four wheels, inspected lines at calipers and no sign of brake fluid leaks. All lines appeared snug.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328ic
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    First inspect master cylinder fluid level

If you have an external leak pumping brakes on the spot will drop level easily.

"Pumping up" Sounds like master cylinder seals, you cam usually detect fluid in the servo by either unbolting master and easing forward or if bad dipping for level through the vacuum pipe apature.
    I checked master cylinder fluid level and it was indeed 98% empty! Refilled reservoir with dot4, started engine, pumped brakes several times and felt a return of what I would call a soft resistance but pedal would still go to the floorboard. I inspected all the lines, seals and areas around the reservoir and saw no signs of fluid leaks but the reservoir went from full to half full. Where's the fluid going??

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by acarmel View Post
    I checked master cylinder fluid level and it was indeed 98% empty! Refilled reservoir with dot4, started engine, pumped brakes several times and felt a return of what I would call a soft resistance but pedal would still go to the floorboard. I inspected all the lines, seals and areas around the reservoir and saw no signs of fluid leaks but the reservoir went from full to half full. Where's the fluid going??
    Already answered in the last line as previously written. If no external leak 99% it's going past the master cylinder seals into the servo. How to check was also in the previous post.
    Last edited by E36328Coupe; 06-12-2017 at 12:38 PM.
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Looked in the servo yet?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328ic
    Looked in the servo yet?
    Haven't had a chance until today. Is the servo the same as the vacuum booster?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    The great big round thing that holds the vacuum, yep, I'm English so using the English term

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328ic
    The great big round thing that holds the vacuum, yep, I'm English so using the English term
    Yep! That was it! Thank you kind sir. Now gotta decide whether to try to tackle this myself or bite the bullet and take it to my mechanic.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by acarmel View Post
    Yep! That was it! Thank you kind sir. Now gotta decide whether to try to tackle this myself or bite the bullet and take it to my mechanic.
    So you found the missing fluid in there?