Thread: New tire problem - BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.8 Roadster

New tire problem - BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2

I have a 2000 Z3 2.8. I just installed a set of BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2, 225 50 R16 92W SL. While they seem to perform ok on regular roads, the car is very squirrelly when I drive on any road or interstate with rain grooves. My car has 75k miles and I have been told suspension and bushings etc are good. I am going to return the tires and have them replaced with something else. Can anyone recommend tires you are specifically happy with and keeps the car tracking straight on roads with rain grooves? Thanks.

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    Michelin Pilot Super Sports have been fine for me.
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Suspension and bushings may be good, but wheel alignment may not.
    If you have it presently set up at track settings, which most prefer at zero toe,
    have your toe specs adjusted for slight toe-in, as that will increase stability,
    and help lessen the squirrelly symptoms at highway speeds.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Michelin Pilot Super Sports

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Suspension and bushings may be good, but wheel alignment may not.
    If you have it presently set up at track settings, which most prefer at zero toe,
    have your toe specs adjusted for slight toe-in, as that will increase stability,
    and help lessen the squirrelly symptoms at highway speeds.
    Definitely start here
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Continental ExtremeContactSport. This is the new tire that came out in 2017. I read a lot, compared, and bought a set. They are good, really good. I had the BFGs (old and worn) on it just before. There is a patch of road that would cause the car to get squirrly with the BFGs, much better with the Contis. They are also quieter and smoother, but the main difference is handling/grip, where they are great.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    Continental ExtremeContactSport. This is the new tire that came out in 2017. I read a lot, compared, and bought a set. They are good, really good. I had the BFGs (old and worn) on it just before. There is a patch of road that would cause the car to get squirrly with the BFGs, much better with the Contis. They are also quieter and smoother, but the main difference is handling/grip, where they are great.
    +1
    Love Continentals!
    Recommend them, after alignment specs are corrected.

My Cars
    E34 525iT, '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    CONTIS Yes! I'm running them on our DD in all kinds of weather and they are superb. I've got Goodrich on my M Coupe and am underwhelmed.
    Last edited by paul4223; 06-11-2017 at 11:47 PM.

My Cars
    1996 Z3 E36(7) M44
    I just went through this. I was in need of tires and did my diligence. I had previously had some Nitto's and then Eagle Authorities. I just put on some Pilot Sport A/S3+. 225 / 50 ZR 16.
    The Nittos did very well but wore very quickly on the rears. I replaced them out of need with the Good Year Eagles. They were not the zr rated tires. They felt for lack of a better word "squiggly". They wore well (30k miles ) but didn't feel as solid or give feed back as the Nitto's did. I had looked at the Pilot's, the G-force Comp-2 a/s and the Conti Extreme contact DWS -06

i could not be happier with the Pilot's. They ride very well, corner extremely well in comparison to what I have had on my car. They feel firm, solid and not harsh. I have Sachs struts and shocks and had recently replaced my lower control arm bushings. I don't pound the car as it is a 1.9, but enjoy a good curve or two. I would recommend you look at the Pilot Sport a/s 3+.

My Cars
    02 Mroady,2007 Z4 coupe
    I currently have the BFG Sport comp 2 on my car and they have been very good with no issues. I have about 4k on them so far.
    They are not as good as the Pilot Sports that I had on before them but I bought them on a recommendation and tire rack tests and also a deal of a price.
    I would say that I probably at this stage buy them again if I got that same price again.

My Cars
    '98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob M View Post
    I just went through this. I was in need of tires and did my diligence. I had previously had some Nitto's and then Eagle Authorities. I just put on some Pilot Sport A/S3+. 225 / 50 ZR 16.
    The Nittos did very well but wore very quickly on the rears. I replaced them out of need with the Good Year Eagles. They were not the zr rated tires. They felt for lack of a better word "squiggly". They wore well (30k miles ) but didn't feel as solid or give feed back as the Nitto's did. I had looked at the Pilot's, the G-force Comp-2 a/s and the Conti Extreme contact DWS -06

i could not be happier with the Pilot's. They ride very well, corner extremely well in comparison to what I have had on my car. They feel firm, solid and not harsh. I have Sachs struts and shocks and had recently replaced my lower control arm bushings. I don't pound the car as it is a 1.9, but enjoy a good curve or two. I would recommend you look at the Pilot Sport a/s 3+.
    This is what I have on my M and I like them a lot. Very grippy in the dry and very good in the wet.
    Jim

1998 ///M Roadster
    2007 Audi RS4
    2016 Audi S4

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JPK Omaha View Post
    I have a 2000 Z3 2.8. I just installed a set of BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2, 225 50 R16 92W SL. While they seem to perform ok on regular roads, the car is very squirrelly when I drive on any road or interstate with rain grooves. My car has 75k miles and I have been told suspension and bushings etc are good. I am going to return the tires and have them replaced with something else. Can anyone recommend tires you are specifically happy with and keeps the car tracking straight on roads with rain grooves? Thanks.
    While tread design and tire construction do affect behavior, the biggest factor in this type of behavior is alignment. I would have your alignment checked by a shop that doesn't just tell you "it's in spec," but actually adjusts everything to be equal- camber, caster and toe to be even from side to side and within spec.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0/5 roadster
    Not sure why, but recently switching from a directional set of tires to non-directional;yet asymmetric, tires improved the tram lining effect on my car. It wasn't terribly bad to begin with though.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Yesterday I had the BFG G-force Sport Comp 2 replaced since the car handled very poorly on roads with rain grooves. I installed Michelin Pilot Sport a/s 3 Plus 225/50/R16. The car handles much better now. The Michelin's are non-directional yet asymmetric. Thanks to everyone who recommended these.

I love my BFG AS Comp 2's....not much tramming at all.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Definitely start here
    I will give this a third vote. I got a pair of toe plates and have been playing with different toe settings. With my refreshed stock suspension, I am very happy with the factory specified 20 arc minutes of toe in.