Thread: Euro Spec E46 conversion to US Spec

My Cars
    2001 BMW 320i

Euro Spec E46 conversion to US Spec

Good afternoon,

I have an '01 320i (2.2L, 170hp, 5 speed manual) that is Euro spec. Im living in Germany for the next year and a half and I was wondering if anyone had any info on what I would need to do to convert it so I can bring it back to the states with me, or if it would even be worth it. I didn't plan on it at first but I ended up falling in love with it haha. I would love to bring it back and maybe make it a little fun project or something but anyway, I figured it maybe wouldn't be too terribly difficult because it is generally newer but i could be terribly wrong. I just have no idea where to go to find out costs, what I need, paperwork and such. So any help is appreciated or just point me in the right direction. I'll be able to ship for free because of the military if that has any factor. Any input would help and thank you for your time!

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

Well I imported the M535i down in my signature 19 years ago, and it was a real PITA. I for one will recommend that you just sell the car and get a E-46 in the states.

I went thru transcar, and ended up paying 8k, of course that was 19 years ago, and I am sure it has gone up two fold by now. If the car is a rare bird, it is worth it, but for a run of the mill E-46, I wouldn't bother.

So here is a list of what they would have to do:
    Replace the front windshield with a U.S. version to attach the vin number to the dash.
    Re-program the LCM for the U.S. lighting, and replace the front corner lights to add the reflectors in.
    I bet they will replace both cat's and all 4 oxygen sensors for it has to pass EPA standards right afterwards.
    Replace the speedometer, as yours will be in KM's, with a MPH one.

I am sure there are more, for that is just shooting from the hip, but be prepared to spend 10k on the shipping and conversion.

Lastly the U.S. Government will not ship that vehicle because it isn't U.S. specs or older than 25 years, so whom ever told you that is wrong.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by aklob View Post
    ...I have an '01 320i (2.2L, 170hp, 5 speed manual) that is Euro spec. Im living in Germany for the next year and a half and I was wondering if anyone had any info on what I would need to do to convert it so I can bring it back to the states with me, or if it would even be worth it. ...
    Start here - yours is too new so it has to be brought into compliance.
    http://jalopnik.com/here-are-the-fou...uni-1682067632

Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    ... I for one will recommend that you just sell the car and get a E-46 in the states.
    +++ This.

You've forgotten the airbags - USA/CA airbags are bigger because of the need to restrain an unbelted driver and passenger.
    The headlights are likely different, in addition to the side markers.

Here's the US's info:
    https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo.../importing-car.

My Cars
    ‘15 F31d Msport
    And you don't want a 2.2 here as it will never be emissions compliant.

Sell it and buy buy another one for 4-5k in excellent shape.
    Get a set of euro tails etc and bring those with you instead!
    If I were to give my Touring a first name, I'd probably name it "Alan".
    Mostly because I like puns.
    Mutual Admiration Society #5