Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Formula One Championship Thread

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38

2017 Formula One Championship Thread

I thought a more general thread for this season could be useful to talk about topics that don't necessarily pertain to a particular race.

I'll start:

Is it just me, or does it seem that Perez has grown up a bit recently, especially since becoming lead driver at Force India? He is seriously quick, and I wonder what's next for him. Could a drive with Merc of the Scuderia be in his future?

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    he has a lot of sponsorship money, from Mr. Slim, who also sponsors Ferrari with Claro, and according to mexican rumors, he is tipped to be on the Ferrari list, but it depends on Raikkonen's form and if Alonso also is in the list. They also say an american, with the Brabham name, might be buying FI.
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    Unrelated, but a Kubica comeback would be very cool. Especially if he replaces Palmer.

My Cars
    TBD
    Yeah agree with both of your points:

Perez was very good last year. but as usual Hulk had terrible race luck. The two of them together pushed to match new heights.

Both hulk and Perez are showing up their team mates this year. Shows just how good both of them were last year.

Unfortunately, (I'd love to see Robert back in F1 because I consider him massively talented - better than Kimi by a long shot), but his right forearm and hand are toast. He can never be as good as he was due to his injuries. When he tested for Renault last week they moved the steering rear controls to the left side of the wheel so that Robert could use them.... i.e. his right hand/forearm is pretty much useless now. Such a shame. I really feel for the guy. Exceptional talent IMO.

Getting back to Perez though. He was still too "childlike" when McLaren picked him up. Now, I think he'd be really good at a top team - much like I think Hulk would be really good at a top team. Hulk's primary issue is that he's too tall for an F1 driver. Perez doesn't have that issue and he bring a ton of money - like Yonkers; says - Carlos Slim money.

Ocon did well today though (canadian GP) but Hulk shows up Palmer at every race. I think Jolyon is a middle/lower team driver but Hulk shows him up because he's that good. Much unlike Schumi and Nico Rosberg. Everyone thought that Schumi had lost it because they didn't give Rosberg the time of day. It was just that Rosberg can be that good when he doesn't try too hard.

Stroll on the other hand is just a waste of time in F1. Luckily for him williams need the money his father brings. Much like his previous teams have needed the money. Massa (who retired last year) has been .6 - 1.x faster than him every freaking race. hopefully williams will spend the stroll monies where it's needed - aero dev on the car.

Just some thoughts... usual disclaimers (I'm not an expert, I've been wrong before, I'm obviously biased but willing to forgive - i.e. RoGro and Perez etc).

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    Jolyon shouldn't be on F1 period.....maybe FormulaE.
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers320is View Post
    Jolyon shouldn't be on F1 period.....maybe FormulaE.
    Buemi, DiGrassi, Nick H, Sam Bird, etc would wipe the floor with him.

Formula e is very competitive.

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Well Palmer did win the GP2 championship. Surprising that he's doing so poorly in F1 with that under his belt.
    BMWs are fun in the snow too...

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeBack View Post
    Yeah agree with both of your points:

Perez was very good last year. but as usual Hulk had terrible race luck. The two of them together pushed to match new heights.

Both hulk and Perez are showing up their team mates this year. Shows just how good both of them were last year.

Unfortunately, (I'd love to see Robert back in F1 because I consider him massively talented - better than Kimi by a long shot), but his right forearm and hand are toast. He can never be as good as he was due to his injuries. When he tested for Renault last week they moved the steering rear controls to the left side of the wheel so that Robert could use them.... i.e. his right hand/forearm is pretty much useless now. Such a shame. I really feel for the guy. Exceptional talent IMO.

Getting back to Perez though. He was still too "childlike" when McLaren picked him up. Now, I think he'd be really good at a top team - much like I think Hulk would be really good at a top team. Hulk's primary issue is that he's too tall for an F1 driver. Perez doesn't have that issue and he bring a ton of money - like Yonkers; says - Carlos Slim money.

Ocon did well today though (canadian GP) but Hulk shows up Palmer at every race. I think Jolyon is a middle/lower team driver but Hulk shows him up because he's that good. Much unlike Schumi and Nico Rosberg. Everyone thought that Schumi had lost it because they didn't give Rosberg the time of day. It was just that Rosberg can be that good when he doesn't try too hard.

Stroll on the other hand is just a waste of time in F1. Luckily for him williams need the money his father brings. Much like his previous teams have needed the money. Massa (who retired last year) has been .6 - 1.x faster than him every freaking race. hopefully williams will spend the stroll monies where it's needed - aero dev on the car.

Just some thoughts... usual disclaimers (I'm not an expert, I've been wrong before, I'm obviously biased but willing to forgive - i.e. RoGro and Perez etc).
    Re: Kubica - did you watch the video? He seems confident in his abilities, and even the turds over at Sky sound hopeful about it. We don't know what times he put down in Valencia.

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    Looks like I get to eat my words re: Perez growing up. He risked both cars today and ignored a legit team order to let Ocon by, possibly preventing him from getting a podium finish, and resulting in a 5-6 finish for the team. /facepalm
    Last edited by burninator; 06-11-2017 at 06:42 PM.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by burninator View Post
    Looks like I get to eat my words re: Perez growing up. He risked both cars today and ignored a legit team order to let Ocon by, possibly preventing him from getting a podium finish, and resulting in a 5-6 finish for the team. /facepalm
    You lose respect as a racer if you let other racers go by. It was doubtful that Ocon could of do something, after all he could not overtake Perez.

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    There is a difference between letting a driver go by and risking both cars trying to block a faster driver. People moan about Seb not following multi 21 but this stuff is just fine, I guess.

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Seb's multi 21 was different: AFIAK they were in a situation where Webber was under the impression that they both were going to be driving with engine modes turned down (and apparently hold position). Then Seb took advantage of Webber driving probably less than at 100%, and definitely less than at full engine power, and Sebastian turned his engine to full power (it was a long time ago, can't remember for sure, this is the issue right?) and made a pass when his teammate was not at all expecting it, as he would've if he'd not have been DUPED into thinking that the guy right behind was a) not going to pass and b) had agreed to turn down the engine to the same mode.

My Cars
    02 E46 M3 IR + 13 Honda
    I really hope Renault replace Palmer asap and put Kubica in t here - its a perfect marketing tool given where they are, Kubica is a top-notch guy (right up there with the best), he did what 115 laps and his times were consistent during the recent test, IIRC he had .400 on Sergey Sirotkin, no?

I would love for Kubica to be back in F1 - and running competitively! Alonso, always had high regards for Kubica.

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    I'd also like to see Kubica back, but he'll never get medical clearance. Switches and buttons notwithstanding, the actual problem is that he is unable to go lock to lock with the wheel while in arm restraints. Even if a medical waiver were granted, he wouldn't physically be able to turn the wheel far enough to negotiate half the circuits on the schedule.

My Cars
    TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by burninator View Post
    Re: Kubica - did you watch the video? He seems confident in his abilities, and even the turds over at Sky sound hopeful about it. We don't know what times he put down in Valencia.
    Sorry, I had read a couple of articles about his test time and one in particular made by Renault's Alan Permane. I just watched the vid and Kubica seems like he's a match. I got the impression from Permane's comments (could have been taken out of context) that while Kubica was good (for having very little use of his right hand) during the test they wouldn't say anything other than that.

If he can drive 100% for an entire weekend then I'd love to see him back in F1. If he cannot then I would hate to see him struggle in F1. But I'd be 100% supportive if he gets a seat. I really like him.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by MagneZium View Post
    Seb's multi 21 was different: AFIAK they were in a situation where Webber was under the impression that they both were going to be driving with engine modes turned down (and apparently hold position). Then Seb took advantage of Webber driving probably less than at 100%, and definitely less than at full engine power, and Sebastian turned his engine to full power (it was a long time ago, can't remember for sure, this is the issue right?) and made a pass when his teammate was not at all expecting it, as he would've if he'd not have been DUPED into thinking that the guy right behind was a) not going to pass and b) had agreed to turn down the engine to the same mode.
    Yes, he turned his engine mode to full power to pass Weber.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I thought Hulk was pretty good from the start when he arrived in F1 while Perez was a-okay but improved a lot over the years. Both are solid drivers. I think if both of them pair up in a really good, strong team they could become strong contenders.

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    Long-overdue Force India rebrand in the works...

Looks like they'll be "Force One" going forward. Not the best name, IMO, but whatever.
    Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldUlysses View Post
    Long-overdue Force India rebrand in the works...

Looks like they'll be "Force One" going forward. Not the best name, IMO, but whatever.
    Just make it 'Air Force One'. Afterall, Vijay owns an airline business under the name Kingfisher Airlines.

My Cars
    '94 MX-6

Well played.

Raises an interesting question though: Dumbest F1 team names?

I thought Brawn was pretty bad. Footwork doesn't rank highly either.
    Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    I'm still hoping that Bernie buys a team but instead of naming it Brabham again I'd really want him to name it Jersey OffShore Racing, Scuderia German Court Grease, Thanks German Bankers Team or something...
    Last edited by MagneZium; 06-28-2017 at 12:34 PM.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Trump Racing Inc.

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Trump Racing Inc.
    We're gonna be winning so much. I love winning, believe me.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast