Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rumors of McLaren-Honda Split Resurface

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38

Rumors of McLaren-Honda Split Resurface

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36641.html
    Wild McLaren-Honda split rumors resurface

The deadlines are now coming thick and fast amid the deteriorating McLaren-Honda relationship.
    Reports this week suggested McLaren executive Zak Brown has imposed a 90-day deadline for Honda to up its game, but Bild newspaper claims the real ultimatum is much sooner than that.
    "Bild has learned that if the Japanese do not supply a competitive engine in the next few weeks, McLaren will not end the season with Honda.
    "In two more races, McLaren and Honda could divorce," it added.
    Germany's Auto Motor und Sport claims that because McLaren is bound by contracts, it is applying huge pressure so that it is Honda that decides to terminate the deal.
    In Canada, Fernando Alonso said he is not surprised about Brown's Honda ultimatum.
    "What Zak said is what you expect," said the Spaniard. "Things have to change for the team, and the same with me. So if you don't see things changing, maybe you change projects."
    Indeed, it now seems almost certain that Alonso will not renew his contract beyond 2017.
    "We have to win," he said. "If we are winning before September or something like that I will make a decision and I will stay."
    So with the prospect of McLaren-Honda divorce now looming, it means Sauber could find itself as the factory Honda-powered team in 2018.
    "We are not discussing this," team boss Monisha Kaltenborn said in Montreal.
    "We do not know what the situation is with Honda and McLaren, and it's not our business. We are engaged in a very different project that has nothing to do with McLaren," she added.

Took them long enough

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    LoL if Sauber is faster than McLaren next season.

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by badmonkey View Post
    LoL if Sauber is faster than McLaren next season.
    Oh man ....

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    I just don't get it. Mercedes AND Ferrari AND Renault have already figured out the new engine formula; why can't Honda after 2.5 years? I could understand if they were a little behind, but the utter incompetence is baffling to me.

I can't imagine they don't care, and even if they didn't, doesn't Japanese culture encourage a certain level of effort regardless of how one feels about a particular assignment?
    Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldUlysses View Post
    I just don't get it. Mercedes AND Ferrari AND Renault have already figured out the new engine formula; why can't Honda after 2.5 years? I could understand if they were a little behind, but the utter incompetence is baffling to me.

I can't imagine they don't care, and even if they didn't, doesn't Japanese culture encourage a certain level of effort regardless of how one feels about a particular assignment?
    +1
    BMWs are fun in the snow too...

My Cars
    TBD
    Honda had an extra year because they could develop while they weren't actually installing engines in the McLaren.

Merc has said they won't supply McLaren. Ferrari isn't going to supply McLaren. So Renault??? or someone else?

I wonder if McLaren will have to pay some of the Honda funding back... sucks for them because it's been nigh on impossible for them to get decent sponsorship.

IOW: I think McLaren will have to stick with honda through the end of the season.... I have known to be wrong though.

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    They should've just stuck with Mercedes power.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    i thought MB, Ferrari, and Renault were asked to help honda on the development, with that engine parity rule.... like some engineers or outside contractors from those manufacturers.

And, isn't Redbull running a Renault engine but their own hybrid unit? why can't Honda just design a good ICE and have McLaren make the hybrid unit, the one in the P1 is pretty good. IDK, just saying
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    TBD
    Honda did not accept any offered help with their PU. They are sticking to their Japanese way of engineering - i.e. not taking any outside help. This is one of the reasons Zack is now fed up and may be a "get out free" clause in their contract. But I doubt it.

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    Fantasy: McLaren-BMW.

Know what else was a highly-successful McLaren-BMW?

Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    I wouldn't hold my breath, BMW only seem interested in GT car racing anymore.

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeBack View Post
    Honda did not accept any offered help with their PU. They are sticking to their Japanese way of engineering - i.e. not taking any outside help. This is one of the reasons Zack is now fed up and may be a "get out free" clause in their contract. But I doubt it.
    I was under the impression that Honda did hire external consultants to help them with development. It's just that they hired consultants from the local grammar school though...

I would love for BMW to come back to F1, but burn is right - it's only GT racing for them right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by m3fuz View Post
    I was under the impression that Honda did hire external consultants to help them with development. It's just that they hired consultants from the local grammar school though...

I would love for BMW to come back to F1, but burn is right - it's only GT racing for them right now.
    They hired Ilmore but threw out his recommendations. Going back to old school Japanese way of doing things. Since then (last year when they consulted with Ilmore) they have refused assistance after McLaren asked Merc etc to help.

Edit:
    With regards to BMW in F1 - like you all say - it ain't gonna happen any time soon. BMW has had their "arse" handed to them in the last few VLN and Nurburgring Quali races. They have zero clue how to fudge the Balance of Performance numbers like the other teams do. Notably Merc and Audi can fudge the BoP really well. BMW isn't doing well at all.
    Last edited by RidgeBack; 06-10-2017 at 07:20 PM.

My Cars
    yay
    One of the other factors I heard about was that at the beginning of their partnership McLaren stipulated that the Honda PU must conform to some sort of design specs that McLaren had in mind. Honda had wanted to do things differently, but agreed to try to make McLaren's concept work. It didn't of course. I believe Honda are now trying to prove their own concept... Which seems to be going better than the other one, all things considered. I hope they continue making progress as I would be pleased to see McLaren Honda at the front again.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    They hired Ilmore but threw out his recommendations. Going back to old school Japanese way of doing things. Since then (last year when they consulted with Ilmore) they have refused assistance after McLaren asked Merc etc to help.

Edit:
    With regards to BMW in F1 - like you all say - it ain't gonna happen any time soon. BMW has had their "arse" handed to them in the last few VLN and Nurburgring Quali races. They have zero clue how to fudge the Balance of Performance numbers like the other teams do. Notably Merc and Audi can fudge the BoP really well. BMW isn't doing well at all.
    what about Porsche, remember the Tag branded McLaren-Porsche of Prost in 85

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers320is View Post
    what about Porsche, remember the Tag branded McLaren-Porsche of Prost in 85
    I think being mired in a emissions scandal has effectively ended any chance of VW/Porsche getting into F1. They'll be paying out billions for the foreseeable future.
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Merc has said they won't supply McLaren. Ferrari isn't going to supply McLaren. So Renault??? or someone else?
    Don't see anyone else throwing their hat into the ring half-way through the lifespan of an engine formula which is so cost prohibitive.

That said, the McLaren chassis is supposed to be pretty good, and we know that Renault needs the money. If the Red Bulls are relatively competitive with it, it wouldn't be a bad move for McLaren, IMO.

My Cars
    02 E46 M3 IR + 13 Honda
    Why is everyone surprised that the Honda "way" isnt working in the modern F1 era - Honda and Toyota, during their full on participation as manufacturers in F1 only yeild 1 race win for Jenson Button at Hungarian GP - Toyota never even got a win in-spite of pouring huge sums of money into their F1 programe, Honda did the same and were lucky to get that 1 race win.

I dont understand why they have to be so butt hurt about "their" way - grow a pair, move on and learn something - rather then being stuck and spending foolish money!

My Cars
    TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart951 View Post
    Don't see anyone else throwing their hat into the ring half-way through the lifespan of an engine formula which is so cost prohibitive.

That said, the McLaren chassis is supposed to be pretty good, and we know that Renault needs the money. If the Red Bulls are relatively competitive with it, it wouldn't be a bad move for McLaren, IMO.
    At this point I think a lawnmower engine would be better than Honda. They might not get pole or set any fastest laps but they'd finish the race.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    get the guys from HRC, granted they are from motorcycles, but should know a thing or two about building engines

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Can Mclaren build their own engines??

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    or Mugen, just saw the TT Zero bike, 180hp with a 117mph average down the mountain...... or just get Yousuck out of it, and get some face saving help.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    What engine would anyone like to see in a Mclaren?

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    What engine would anyone like to see in a Mclaren?
    Renault, Mercedes, Ferrari, m3fuz, burninator, auaq, etc. Anything but their current engine supplier...
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    What about hakentt?

Quote Originally Posted by m3fuz View Post
    Renault, Mercedes, Ferrari, m3fuz, burninator, auaq, etc. Anything but their current engine supplier...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast