Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another E39 down.😞

My Cars
    3 540i / 1 528i

Another E39 down.😞

Hello guys haven't been on for a while but needed some advice on my accident. What you guys think total loss or should I fix. Took a exit and hit loose gravel and lost control taking me into a tree. I'm not looking for dumb replies or mean posts . I fked up I'm owning up to it and just want to see what you guys think. Currently waiting on the insurance company to get back at me. Year 2000 540i ,Car has m5 wheels(2 of them are destroyed and 2 look still good but not sure til I have them taken off and inspected. m5 headliner, oem m5 side mirrors, m5 front and rear bumpers (reps) ,102,000 miles very very well taken care of , have had EVERYTHINg replaced since I got it at 70,000 miles. This car was clean and strong . Almost like new . When I say everything replaced i mean pretty much mean everything that goes wrong with these 540s replaced. Thanks for reading .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jetblackE39; 06-08-2017 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Added info

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    Not that it can't be fixed, but done. Air bags,etc.
    Insurance will say done also. So by it back and do a parts transfer to the next one.
    And jet blackE39,... thats white

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    It can be fixed but it is expensive work.
    Unless you do your own body work, it is roughly $5K+ for the front end work.

My Cars
    are slow
    Get another E39 and transfer

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    It's dead, Jim.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    3 540i / 1 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by wagons ho View Post
    Not that it can't be fixed, but done. Air bags,etc.
    Insurance will say done also. So by it back and do a parts transfer to the next one.
    And jet blackE39,... thats white
    thanks for the reply. Appreciate it. Yea was thinking the same. Swap everything over.I have 3 e39s one jet lack , titanium silver , and alpine white.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    It can be fixed but it is expensive work.
    Unless you do your own body work, it is roughly $5K+ for the front end work.
    Wow 5k. Yea it's done lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    Get another E39 and transfer
    Yea I been thinking about buying a 540i that has a blown engine and swaping the engine and tranny into it and going from there, I've been quoted 2400$ for swaping the engine and tranny and all miscellaneous stuff since I know my engine car s drivetrain is good. What you think on the price. I think it's good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    It's dead, Jim.
    Yea I was thinking the same thing .just wishful thinking lol
    Last edited by jetblackE39; 06-08-2017 at 11:51 PM.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Any car can be brought back to life with enough time and money. If you did the repair work yourself it probably wouldn't be all that much, but if you pay a shop it'll be really expensive.

It all comes down to how you feel about this car. Does it have a lot of sentimental value for you? If so, then just fix it and don't look at the costs. Otherwise, find another E39 to transfer the parts into. You don't even need to pay a shop, transplanting an engine + transmission is super easy, all you need is some space and a $200 engine crane from Harbor Freight.

I know if my Japan Red 540it got wrecked like that I would fix it in a heartbeat, regardless of the cost. But that's a much more rare color in a far less common body style.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    3 540i / 1 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    It's dead, Jim.
    I noticed you have a m62 540i. How much of a difference is the m62 compare to the m62tu? Is the vanos feature really "that" noticeable compared to the m62? Like some say ? I see a 98 540i being sold at a good price with only 65k miles on it. And was wondering if I will miss the vanos . I only have experience with the tu motor.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Any car can be brought back to life with enough time and money. If you did the repair work yourself it probably wouldn't be all that much, but if you pay a shop it'll be really expensive.

It all comes down to how you feel about this car. Does it have a lot of sentimental value for you? If so, then just fix it and don't look at the costs. Otherwise, find another E39 to transfer the parts into. You don't even need to pay a shop, transplanting an engine + transmission is super easy, all you need is some space and a $200 engine crane from Harbor Freight.

I know if my Japan Red 540it got wrecked like that I would fix it in a heartbeat, regardless of the cost. But that's a much more rare color in a far less common body style.
    Thanks Danny . You bring up good points and makin me think. Yea I just found another AW e39 in great shape body and interior wise with a blown engine, so I'm just gonna swap the engine and tranny out. Awesome post , yea you don't hear or see Japan red 540it's around definitely rare and special car.your a lucky guy. thanks
    Last edited by jetblackE39; 06-09-2017 at 03:00 PM.

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by jetblackE39 View Post
    I noticed you have a m62 540i. How much of a difference is the m62 compare to the m62tu? Is the vanos feature really "that" noticeable compared to the m62? Like some say ? I see a 98 540i being sold at a good price with only 65k miles on it. And was wondering if I will miss the vanos . I only have experience with the tu motor.
    The extra low end torque is worth it, but the NV can inch out up high. More reliable overall, still suffers from chain guide issues though.
    Last edited by XAlt; 06-09-2017 at 09:29 AM.

My Cars
    E39
    Ouch... sorry to hear and see.
    IMO, it comes down to what you have more of - time vs. money.
    Good-luck!

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it
    The main thing is you are OK. You can always get another one. 'Sorry about your loss. Buy it back from the insurance company and part it out.

My Cars
    3 540i / 1 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by givemeaname View Post
    Ouch... sorry to hear and see.
    IMO, it comes down to what you have more of - time vs. money.
    Good-luck!
    Thanks for your words , yea I'm going the buy back and part it out route. I'd rather just by another alpine white ,I just love alpine white lol then Transfer the engine and tranny and part the rest out. I don't wanna be riding around in a salvaged car, I'm sure it won't be the same. It'll be too expensive and time consuming to do all that work also. I loved the car but sometimes you just have to let things go. I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by easymoney View Post
    The main thing is you are OK. You can always get another one. 'Sorry about your loss. Buy it back from the insurance company and part it out.
    thanks easymoney , yea I'm buying another and gonna part this one out. I'll keep you posted on the wheels. Thanks again.
    Last edited by jetblackE39; 06-09-2017 at 02:42 PM.

My Cars
    3 540i / 1 528i
    The extra low end torque is worth it, but the NV can inch out up high. More reliable overall, still suffers from chain guide issues though.
    Yea I'm just gonna stick with m62tu . I enjoy the low end torque, thats where I spend majority of my time at. I live in a traffic ridden city so I hardly am able to hit the high rpms .
    Last edited by jetblackE39; 06-09-2017 at 02:47 PM.

My Cars
    are slow
    Cheap 2000 M5 and swap parts

worth it tbh

My Cars
    2000 540i Touring
    Sorry about your accident, happy to hear you are okay (at least physically, I have not doubt you are majorly bummed).

Car is an obvious total. You can probably fight for a strong settlement because of low miles and condition and keep the car for parts fairly cheap. If you have the space that is your best plan.

Good luck!

My Cars
    3 540i / 1 528i
    Cheap 2000 M5 and swap parts

worth it tbh
    thought about it but nah I'm satisfied with m62tu. M5 would be overkill for me, I don't need the extra power. I think m5 is best for people who can use it to the fullest .

My Cars
    3 540i / 1 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by msvphoto View Post
    Sorry about your accident, happy to hear you are okay (at least physically, I have not doubt you are majorly bummed).

Car is an obvious total. You can probably fight for a strong settlement because of low miles and condition and keep the car for parts fairly cheap. If you have the space that is your best plan.

Good luck!
    thanks msv. Yea I'm bummed but I guess life must go on. Got my eyes on perfect candidate for the transplant . Appreciate your post bro.

My Cars
    2002 530i Touring MSport
    Nice looking car (at least pre-accident). Bummed for you but yeah you're on the right path, rebirth all the good bits into a new shell and enjoy again!

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Its most definitely "totaled" from an insurance stand point. I would be curious what the insurance company estimates the repairs. You could buy it back and try and fix it...or part it out...lots of options...assuming you have the time and inclination.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    3 540i / 1 528i
    Uber5er , Thanks my friend. Will do.

- - - Updated - - -

F355spider. I will update with what the insurance offers . Thanks for the post
    Last edited by jetblackE39; 06-13-2017 at 02:26 AM.

My Cars
    3 540i / 1 528i
    Just wanted to update. Finally got a call from the insurance company and they paying me out $7647.96. Minus the $500 deductible its goes down to $7,147.96 and they are selling me back my car for $602 . So I end up with $6545 and a few cents. I'm happy about the buy back cause the new throttle body alone that I installed just last month was 455$ and all the other expensive big parts that I had installed in My car within the last 20,000 milesAnd all the Oem M5 mods .

My car was a A/W 2000 540i with 102,000 miles when crashed. Bought it in 2013 with 70,000 miles for 9k with rep m bumpers already installed. I tried to fight for a lil more for all the expensive extras I had put on the car and also all the expensive parts I've replace. But they wouldn't budge. But all in all I'm content with this unfortunate situation. Cause I have a lot of expensive kinda new spare parts now that I can use for my other 540i and the next 540i I'm buying with a blown engine to swap my 102,000 mile engine and tranny into. Oh and they payed for my girlfriends ambulance and emergency hospital bills and hooked her up with an extra 2500$ for her pain and troubles. thanks to all that wished me well with their kind words and advice. Oh and my insurance is progressive. Thanks for reading
    Last edited by jetblackE39; 06-16-2017 at 03:32 AM.

My Cars
    BMW
    Let me just go switch to progressive and crash my car real quick. NICE!

Sounds like you're on top with cash in your pocket, AND a fun project to build your new 540.

No way you'd have gotten that much for the car even if sold to an enthusiast.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Good to hear you made out OK with the ins company.
    I'm wondering how much they are going to bump your rates up next year.....keep us posted, OK.

My Cars
    3 540i / 1 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Good to hear you made out OK with the ins company.
    I'm wondering how much they are going to bump your rates up next year.....keep us posted, OK.
    I know that's what I was thinking also. I asked the guy And he said it'll go up but its the same as if I had a small fender bender? They say they don't go by how the crash was. Accident big or small it goes up the same. I don't know if he's just trying to BS me but I asked my sister to ask her bf who works for State Farm and he said it was true , but I guess I'll have to wait on the policy renewal next year lol. This was just to update and let people who might be in the same boat currently as me to maybe be able to Gauge their situation. Thanks for reading

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WBAD530i View Post
    Let me just go switch to progressive and crash my car real quick. NICE!

Sounds like you're on top with cash in your pocket, AND a fun project to build your new 540.

No way you'd have gotten that much for the car even if sold to an enthusiast.
    I know I was expecting a lot lower . Lol I was prepared to hear very low figures. Thanks
    Last edited by jetblackE39; 06-16-2017 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Brain fart

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    I hope your girlfriends injuries are minor and short term, some stuff will keep on nagging forever.

On the car I think you came out as good as you could have hoped, a good price and especially fairly inexpensive on the buyback, I've seen it as much as 25% of the price they give you, which changes the equation entirely.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast