Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 Schrick 276/270 cams DYNO

My Cars
    98' M3 264WHP!

E36 M3 Schrick 276/270 cams DYNO

Just copied this from my post in the dyno library, but I felt like it was worth posting. I had read about people asking how the Schrick 276/270 cams were. Spark notes: 264whp/239.75wtq

**Will update with better dyno graph soon!

I have been waiting years to post onto this section... I have read, I have guessed, I have hoped.. Quick introduction before I get to my numbers. I recently graduated college and have had my 98 m3 since the start of college and have always dreamed of making more power and throwing it on the dyno. Turns out, all I needed to do was money shift and bend all the exhaust valves (plus a job to make money and then throw it all into the car of course!). But to do this, I had to sit and wait 5 months to have the money to throw at this thing. And simply put, I am a very happy camper! The car is a beast and the tuning done by Dave Markert at Markert Motorworks in Atlanta was solid. So here are the mods and numbers!

(I'm going to post this and update with videos and dyno graphs as I get them loaded!)

Year:
    -1998 M3/2/5
    Build Date:
    -4/98
    Mods:
    -K&N Filter
    -3" Autozone 45' elbow
    -stock MAF
    -3" silicon elbow
    -stock throttle body
    -m50 manifold
    -24lb injectors
    -Schrick 276/270 cams
    -Supertech Springs
    -Raceland Headers to custom 3" exhaust w/ Vibrant Resonator and straight through muffler
    -Markert Motorworks tune
    -Fidanza? Flywheel to stock clutch
    Dyno Type:
    -DynoJet
    Dyno Conditions:
    -83 F
    -37.x Humidity
    -600ft of elevation
    Gear Dynoed:
    -4th
    Peak HP:
    -
    263.99whp
    Peak TQ:

-239.75wtq

Note that these numbers were achieved with the stock MAF maxing out at 6k rpm and then tuning the gap between 6k-7.2k rpm. With a euro MAF, 3.5" intake, and BBTB, I'm hoping for 5-10whp more than this!

Also, Dave was able to tune in launch control and burble tune (just for fun and can be turned off and on). Videos to come!

Graph:
    Attachment 602031

Exhaust Clip:
    https://youtu.be/eNFeWX7DECU

Burble Tune Exhaust:

https://youtu.be/w4fmp6H5iHA

Launch Control Video:
    https://youtu.be/47avLEhO-zQ
    Last edited by dhughes; 06-11-2017 at 10:06 PM.
    Current:
    1998 US m3 coupe.. Home-made Short Ram Intake with heat shield, BMW Factory X-Brace, Eibach Prokit Springs, Whiteline Front Swaybar, Sparco Front Strut Bar, Depo Headlights, Raceland Headers to full 3" with Vibrant Resonator & Muffler, m50 manifold, Markert Motor Works Custom Tune, Schrick 276/270, supertech springs, 24 lb injectors, all sitting on square Style 42s.

264whp/239wtq

Sold:
    1995 E34 525i ($400 daily)

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Great start. Looking forward to the Porsche HFM graph. Dyno that one in SAE. STD reads 2.5% high -- fine for comparing before and after but not for comparing to other graphs that are in the more realistic and common SAE. So you are really in the high 250s now in SAE, which can be done with 264/256 that don't give up anything on the bottom end. I think with a better HEM and more tuning there is more in the 276/270.

My Cars
    99 Dakar M3
    Did you end up swappin a new engine in or rebuilding the old one?

My Cars
    98' M3 264WHP!
    Thank you for clarifying! I know the dynojet is more consistent than the mustang dynos, and I will be dynoing after the 3.5" intake and proper HFM. I will try to dyno when the conditions are similar so we can see some comparison results. With the 2.5% error and with 5-10whp more, it looks like I should be sitting around 265whp all said and done (multiplying what my dyno should read x 0.975 to get SAE results). Regardless, the car feels amazing compared to what it was before cams. I'm also really enjoying the launch control. It sounds so mean and holds till about 5 mph.. I'll post more videos of the launch control, drive bys, exhaust when I have sometime and can borrow my buddies gopro.
    Last edited by dhughes; 06-08-2017 at 10:11 PM.
    Current:
    1998 US m3 coupe.. Home-made Short Ram Intake with heat shield, BMW Factory X-Brace, Eibach Prokit Springs, Whiteline Front Swaybar, Sparco Front Strut Bar, Depo Headlights, Raceland Headers to full 3" with Vibrant Resonator & Muffler, m50 manifold, Markert Motor Works Custom Tune, Schrick 276/270, supertech springs, 24 lb injectors, all sitting on square Style 42s.

264whp/239wtq

Sold:

My Cars
    98' M3 264WHP!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregarious7 View Post
    Did you end up swappin a new engine in or rebuilding the old one?
    I decided to rebuild my original engine. I had already had every gasket replaced, the oil pump nut secured, and everything seemed healthy given it has 174k miles before money shifting. The whole project was pricy given I had a shop do everything, extra exhaust work, and headers installed.. but I'm still very happy with the results! I know I could've gone SC or turbo and had more power, but I intend to start tracking and autoXing very soon.

Note, I can do minor work, but lacked the time to tackle this project myself.
    Current:

264whp/239wtq

Sold:

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Nice! Sounds awesome too. Any more info or pictures of your exhaust setup?

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    that's some good numbers! Sounds great too!
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    98' M3 264WHP!
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    Nice! Sounds awesome too. Any more info or pictures of your exhaust setup?
    I'll have to do some digging. I definitely have pictures of under the car with the 3" exhaust and stock headers, but I didn't take any yesterday with the longtube headers and y-pipe (dang it..).

Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    that's some good numbers! Sounds great too!
    Thanks! I'm going to try to get some exhaust clips the weekend!! Will update soon!
    Current:

264whp/239wtq

Sold:

My Cars
    E36 M3/4/5
    I was going to say "holy shit that's impressive on the stock intake manifold" and then I read your signature. :

Still, very healthy numbers. That's a great outline for a fun street car with some goodies.
    E36///M3/4/5 | BB6 Prelude | VA WRX Limited | CM7 Accord EX-L

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    how's the powerband feel?

If I were ever to go with cams etc. I'd go with basically the same mods you've done.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    How is the idle? Any audible cam lope? So just to clarify, any machine work to the head (port, polish, unshrouding of valves, multi angle valve job, etc.)? Great numbers!

My Cars
    1992 bmw 325i
    Great stuff man i was always curious to see what those shrick put out, i actual bought the vac 286/272 cams and i am hoping to put them on in the following weekends. i have a similar set up but i have the porsche hfm .i dont have the 3" exhaust just long tube headers to cat delete midpipe to rouge engineering exhaust if your curious i will post the numbers once i get it dyno tuned but great set up bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    skateboard
    Should be interesting to see the results with a proper mad/tune.

My Cars
    98' M3 264WHP!
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    how's the powerband feel?

If I were ever to go with cams etc. I'd go with basically the same mods you've done.
    The powerband definitely feels great! It does feel a little slow under 4k rpms (still 200 ft/lbs at 3800rpm), but after 4k, it screams and pulls all the way to redline!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bimma360 View Post
    How is the idle? Any audible cam lope? So just to clarify, any machine work to the head (port, polish, unshrouding of valves, multi angle valve job, etc.)? Great numbers!
    No machine work to the head other than what is done when when rebuilding a head normally. The idle isn't lumpy at all, but this is also probably because the idle is set at 1100 rpm... The tuner said the it might stall/was stalling where it was stock.. I'm going to get it bumped down because I really want that lumpy idle hahah

Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Should be interesting to see the results with a proper mad/tune.
    I'm definitely eager to get the proper MAF, 3.5" intake, and some BBTB and see what it puts down next time!
    Last edited by dhughes; 06-11-2017 at 10:09 PM.
    Current:

264whp/239wtq

Sold:

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by dhughes View Post
    The powerband definitely feels great! It does feel a little slow under 4k rpms (still 200 ft/lbs at 3800rpm), but after 4k, it screams and pulls all the way to redline!!!

No machine work to the head other than what is done when when rebuilding a head normally. The idle isn't lumpy at all, but this is also probably because the idle is set at 1100 rpm... The tuner said the it might stall/was stalling where it was stock.. I'm going to get it bumped down because I really want that lumpy idle hahah

I'm definitely eager to get the proper MAF, 3.5" intake, and some BBTB and see what it puts down next time!
    I'd say more then a stock s54.

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    325is, 96 M3 Euro

good to see people still doing NA builds man.

im guessing the exhaust is why you say it feels slow under 4k?

My Cars
    98' M3 264WHP!
    Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    good to see people still doing NA builds man.

im guessing the exhaust is why you say it feels slow under 4k?

I think its every mod compounding on itself. The m50 is for up top, the cams are for up top, and those longtube headers and 3" exhaust definitely dont help out the torque. I honestly believe its probably still just as fast below 4k as it was before, but when it starts to open up, it just makes everything before then feel slow lol

But to your other comment about NA builds, I have read a lot over the years and have heard people say, "skip the NA bit and just go FI" or "Skip the SC and go turbo"... I understand that it may be cheaper in the end, but I always wanted nice NA setup. I plan to start tracking it and maybe it will be turboed one day pushing 500whp, but for right now, I'm loving every second I push her up to redline and will keep it till the power bug comes back around! haha
    Last edited by dhughes; 06-12-2017 at 08:21 PM.
    Current:

264whp/239wtq

Sold:

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    But to your other comment about NA builds, I have read a lot over the years and have heard people say, "skip the NA bit and just go FI" or "Skip the SC and go turbo"... I understand that it may be cheaper in the end, but I always wanted nice NA setup. I plan to start tracking it and maybe it will be turboed one day pushing 500whp, but for right now, I'm loving every second I push her up to redline and will keep it till the power bug comes back around! haha
    NA represent.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    skateboard
    Tracking a 500whp isn't going to be so awesome . Loads of heat to deal with

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    If you want more torque for the track, a better rear gear really helps. I'm running a 3.46 on stock cams and love it. Your top speed will still be 147 with that. I have yet to hit 140 on VIR Full and Road Atlanta. If you are afraid of running out of gear, you can run the 3.38 from an automatic.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris99 View Post
    If you want more torque for the track, a better rear gear really helps. I'm running a 3.46 on stock cams and love it. Your top speed will still be 147 with that. I have yet to hit 140 on VIR Full and Road Atlanta. If you are afraid of running out of gear, you can run the 3.38 from an automatic.
    I agree.

― George Orwell

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Nice!

What is all this burble tune?? I see Jordan (RK) is having great success with it on other generations.

I'm guessing it's just fuel exploding in the exhaust. Or, I could be wrong.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    Nice!

What is all this burble tune?? I see Jordan (RK) is having great success with it on other generations.

It's what I call useless nonsense tune

― George Orwell

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    Nice!

Yes

Also yes. It's cool at first but the novelty wears off fast. My M3 already does it from time to time anyway when coming down from a high rev. The burble time just makes it more obvious by wasting fuel and dirtying up the cats some more. But to each their own.

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    SAE Graph Daniel Huges SAE.jpg

Look forward to getting some more out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

lol. It makes way more power than stock this way though......... .... ..when your foot is off the gas :P
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast