Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 Schrick 276/270 cams DYNO

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Right now, you are giving up a lot below 4000 rpm. Hopefully more tuning will bring some of that back or at least add enough more to the top end to make the bottom end sacrifice worthwhile. My recollection was that the milder Schricks, with proper accompanying mods, gave up very little on the bottom end (but on the other hand they did not add a whole lot on the top end -- like 9 rwhp at peak power according to one magazine test). I would think the more aggressive Schricks would be adding about twice that at peak power (comparable spec sunbelts showed about 18 rwhp gain at peak power according to another magazine test). 270 would put you around stock S54 power, which should be entertaining in an E36.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...MW-E36-M3.aspx

The bottom dyno chart in this article shows the difference the 264/256 schricks make along with software if you look at the gap between the red and orange lines. Looks like they got around 12hp and 19ft/lb from the cams over the stage 2 setup (m50, MAF, injectors, CAI).
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...MW-E36-M3.aspx

The bottom dyno chart in this article shows the difference the 264/256 schricks make along with software if you look at the gap between the red and orange lines. Looks like they got around 12hp and 19ft/lb from the cams over the stage 2 setup (m50, MAF, injectors, CAI).
    Thanks for link, good reading.
    I especially like how they point out that these numbers are still with stock high-mileage cats and muffler.

Here's the next installment, where they slap on a Borla cat-back for 10 more ponies, perhaps the stock cams would've gained less?
    http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...t-Exhaust.aspx
    Eat, drink, and be merry - for tomorrow we drive.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yeah it's also a CA car so it has to pass all the CARB nonsense too. I love that article and series because it does a great job at documenting what each set of upgrades actually nets and what it does to the torque/power curves, in real-life with a real car that gets driven.

I'm planning on eventually following basically the same upgrade path as that article documents, once I finally address everything else on the car and can start adding power. I'll probably do the MAF/injectors, M50 manifold, and cams all at the same time and then throw on the stage 3+ Conforti tune. Already got the exhaust. With the 3.46 diff in my car it should be pretty damn quick off the line with around 290hp at the crank.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    In addition to the MotoIq articles, there are a couple of other good ones.

Super Street did a series on an E36 with Sunbelts, which are on par with the more aggressive Schricks. They got 265 rwhp with very little low end sacrifice, but track pipe so no cats.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...36-m3-project/

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...ms-project-m3/

And European Car got 246 rwhp with the mild Schricks and stock midpipe with cats.

Attachment 602455

My Cars
    1993 325is
    and then throw on the stage 3+ Conforti tune.
    How much will you be paying for an off the shelf tune? Why not hook up with a reputable tuner and get a tune specific to your exact engine configuration and condition? I've been working with Zack at 22RPD.com. We've seen some great results.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    How much will you be paying for an off the shelf tune? Why not hook up with a reputable tuner and get a tune specific to your exact engine configuration and condition? I've been working with Zack at 22RPD.com. We've seen some great results.
    It costs me $150 to upgrade from my current stage 1 software. I opted for this path instead of a custom tune because:

• This isn't a racecar or full-time track car so I don't care about custom options like EWS delete, SAP delete, or the various other emissions-related options
    • For the time being I don't have the desire to spend money at a dyno in addition to the cost of a custom tune
    • The Conforti software in the shark injectors meets my needs in terms of NA mods/options, is extremely easy to install, and has well-documented results in magazines and the community

If I get more hardcore about track performance or if I get into more exotic engine mods, I'll certainly look into the various custom tune providers. I hadn't heard of 22RPD before, but they look good. Looks like they probably specialize in custom tunes for the FI crowd.

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    It costs me $150 to upgrade from my current stage 1 software. I opted for this path instead of a custom tune because:

• This isn't a racecar or full-time track car so I don't care about custom options like EWS delete, SAP delete, or the various other emissions-related options
    • For the time being I don't have the desire to spend money at a dyno in addition to the cost of a custom tune
    • The Conforti software in the shark injectors meets my needs in terms of NA mods/options, is extremely easy to install, and has well-documented results in magazines and the community

If I get more hardcore about track performance or if I get into more exotic engine mods, I'll certainly look into the various custom tune providers. I hadn't heard of 22RPD before, but they look good. Looks like they probably specialize in custom tunes for the FI crowd.

Don't forget to check out our store
    https://www.store.markertmotorworks.com

And Dyno thread
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=327183
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    In addition to the MotoIq articles, there are a couple of other good ones.

Super Street did a series on an E36 with Sunbelts, which are on par with the more aggressive Schricks. They got 265 rwhp with very little low end sacrifice, but track pipe so no cats.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...36-m3-project/

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...ms-project-m3/

And European Car got 246 rwhp with the mild Schricks and stock midpipe with cats.

Attachment 602455
    Pablo from European car mag about 10 years ago made 264whp, and 236wtq with his s50 . Mods were schricks, super sprint headers, and full super sprint race exhaust. I'll search for the link. I'm not sure if he was running an AA tune or conforti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I hadn't heard of 22RPD before, but they look good. Looks like they probably specialize in custom tunes for the FI crowd.
    He has plenty of NA tuning experience as well.

My Cars
    96 M3 Coupe

He has plenty of NA tuning experience as well.
    He just did my 286 cam setup. We also got to hang out for a while. Cool dude, really knows his stuff. He's Volloso on here.
    @M3AMI
    96 BG/Magma Lux
    Mods. Lots of Mods.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Foda420 View Post
    He just did my 286 cam setup. We also got to hang out for a while. Cool dude, really knows his stuff. He's Volloso on here.
    What were your final numbers (SAE)?

My Cars
    96 M3 Coupe
    What were your final numbers (SAE)?
    We don't really know. The dyno brake wasn't releasing all the way and would pull up to 45whp on consecutive runs sometimes. We're not sure we ever got it to release fully.

Best guess based on what a turbo car put down that they knew, I'm anywhere from 275-295. I have vids of it on my IG

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    @M3AMI
    96 BG/Magma Lux
    Mods. Lots of Mods.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I saw the vid on Zack's Facebook.

My Cars
    skateboard
    I've been thinking about going with these schricks, or the epic sports cams. Just can't make up my mind.

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    325is, 96 M3 Euro
    man those epic cams are epic $$$. might as well go with a catcams. problem with cam grinders is they all use different specs so you cant even compare them properly
    Last edited by digger; 06-23-2017 at 07:41 AM.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    man those epic cams are epic $$$. might as well go with a catcams. problem with cam grinders is they all use different specs so you cant even compare them properly
    The question is how do they compare to the schricks . The price is a wash when you add in the fact you need upgraded valve springs for the schricks .

― George Orwell

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Probably if the cams have enough lift and duration to make a significant performance increase, you want better valve springs or at least fresh stock ones rather than 20 year old stock ones.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    The question is how do they compare to the schricks . The price is a wash when you add in the fact you need upgraded valve springs for the schricks .
    You need upgraded springs for the Epic cams, too. Plus, they recommend using even more expensive Epic springs for their cams.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris99 View Post
    You need upgraded springs for the Epic cams, too. Plus, they recommend using even more expensive Epic springs for their cams.
    That's if you go with the race cams. I'm going with the sports . Found a sweet deal on a second hand set.

― George Orwell

My Cars
    325is, 96 M3 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post

price aside, what would the lobes look like if you overlayed them, that i the main thing i look for with cams, made even more difficult being that they are hydraulic.... . big lobe area relative to the seat duration is the ideal direction. if it needs uprated springs it is usually an aggressive profile (velocity and accelerations) which good for performance and as long as it is not a full race grind it shouldn't pound the crap out of anything. in the other directionn you dont want extra duration without a proportional amount extra lift, it doesnt make a good engine with wide powerband

like what are the specs on the schrick? 276/270 does tell much and i havent found their latest catalog to see if they mention more info

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    price aside, what would the lobes look like if you overlayed them, that i the main thing i look for with cams, made even more difficult being that they are hydraulic.... . big lobe area relative to the seat duration is the ideal direction. if it needs uprated springs it is usually an aggressive profile (velocity and accelerations) which good for performance and as long as it is not a full race grind it shouldn't pound the crap out of anything. in the other directionn you dont want extra duration without a proportional amount extra lift, it doesnt make a good engine with wide powerband

like what are the specs on the schrick? 276/270 does tell much and i havent found their latest catalog to see if they mention more info
    From what Randy has told me, and from what a friend of mine has made with said cams 270-28X whp can be had with these cams.

They will be going in spare s52 I have along with a Vac set of valve springs that are more aggressive then stock.

That along with a set of Euro SS reps , and maybe a 3 inch exhaust . Should make better whp/wtq then a stock s54.

― George Orwell

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    What turbo are you going to run with these cams for manly power?

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    What turbo are you going to run with these cams for manly power?
    Can't own a turbo car as I don't drive my cars often enough . Hence the N/A route . Jump in the car and turn the key. I don't have time for boost leaks, and all of the odds and ends that come with F/I life.

Maybe some day I'll buy a car that comes with boost from the factory.

Even then I'd rather have an e36 with 270-280whp, and e30 m3 that makes about 200whp.

― George Orwell

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You just need a lift, a shop, and free time. Isn't that what you bought the CT house for?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast