Thread: how to use voice dialing with my bluetooth phone

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5

how to use voice dialing with my bluetooth phone

I just installed a ULF module. From what I've read it has voice dialing built into it. Ok I pressed the sneezing man button on my steering wheel and held it till the display reads PHONE. I said dial Paula since Paula is stored in speed dial. The voice said SORRY. I repeated that with several numbers and it just keeps saying SORRY.

How does voice dialing work. Step by step please. Yes my phone is paired to the car. I can download the phone book and make calls manually. I want to use the voice dial.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Well I found a PDF copy of the BMW Voice Command manual.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...8&d=1117201283

My Cars
    ‘15 F31d Msport
    In other words, you have to activate the system, then program "Susan" verbally by name an number to the car.
    Having it in your phone's contact list isn't enough.
    If I were to give my Touring a first name, I'd probably name it "Alan".
    Mostly because I like puns.
    Mutual Admiration Society #5

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
    In other words, you have to activate the system, then program "Susan" verbally by name an number to the car.
    Having it in your phone's contact list isn't enough.
    Correct. If all else fails read the instructions. Of course you have to find them first. Programmed in a few phone numbers. Voice control works great.
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 06-13-2017 at 07:20 AM.

My Cars
    2003 330ci
    flyfishvt, can I ask what phone you are using to connect to the cars bluetooth? I've had terrible results with various android phones, having to root and change kernel settings to even let it connect. Even though I don't need it anymore as I have integrated bluetooth calling into my in-dash tablet install, I am still curious to what can successfully work with the cars outdated bluetooth module. I hear that iphones don't have the same trouble as android phones.

Penis,
    Hellmet

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    3 year old iPhone5. Pairs up easily and after the initial pairing it connects instantly as soon as I turn on the ignition. I've read that a lot of cars came wired for Car Phone like mine did. The car phone uses a different module. The car phone uses a TCU which can be coded to also allow Bluetooth operation. Im not sure if it allows Voice Control. I removed the TCU and installed a ULF module. The ULF is only Bluetooth. On 2003+ cars the wiring is all there. It needs to be added to VO for the car but that's pretty easy with the correct software. I'm also missing the pairing button. There's an easy fix for that though with a jumper wire.

I also added factory Aux Port so the only thing I'm missing is Bluetooth/Steering Wheel control of my phone. That's not a huge deal for me. I'm looking for a head unit that looks OEM that doesn't cost $400+
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 06-13-2017 at 01:29 PM.

My Cars
    2003 330ci
    Yes, my car came with the ULF module but i think anything past android 5 has problems connecting and staying connected. It looks like Iphones don't suffer from this issue. I understand the issue with the OEM look aftermarket headunits, they're expensive and the hardware seems to be lacking even compared to the 2013 nexus 7 which I have installed. That's why I went the tablet route.... its a PITA to set up but it's a fun learning experience and once it's working its a cheap, powerful and expandable alternative. If you are interested in taking this route feel free to pm me for more information.