Thread: Cylinder 5 Misfire in 2010 328i ---need suggestion for replacing it myself

My Cars
    2010 328i

Cylinder 5 Misfire in 2010 328i ---need suggestion for replacing it myself

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie here needing a little help...my 328i has been shaking a little in 1st gear or in P over the past few months, losing power during acceleration, making me panic. I didn't take it in because I lost my job and simply couldn't. However, the other week the Service Engine Soon light came on, then it went off, and then came back on, etc etc. Long story short, I took it to the mechanic finally and they diagnosed that there is a cylinder 5 misfire and quoted me $80 for the ignition coil and then $175 for labor. I am in a position where I need to replace it myself in order to save the money and drive the car safely. I haven't replaced any coils before, but have seen how to do it. I found this coil online and I want to make sure I am ordering the correct coil ---- http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW-3-...7594937e9x.htm If this is not the correct kind, does anyone know which one I need to order?
    it mentions that all coils should be the same brand, and all of mine are OEM--is Bosch what BMW uses?
    When I replace the coil, do I also need to replace the spark plug underneath, or is that optional? I'm assuming that it's probably necessary and that I should also order a spark plug.

Thanks for humoring my newbie questions

My Cars
    E91 Manual Wagon

Cylinder 5 Misfire in 2010 328i ---need suggestion for replacing it myself

Go ahead and do all 6 coils and plugs. If one is failing, the others are likely to follow.

Follow this tutorial, you can do all 6 plugs and coils for about what you are being quoted for labor alone
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm
    Here is a good socket
    GearWrench 80546 5/8-Inch x 6-Inch Swivel Spark Plug Socket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014ZVSVK..._NKmozbBT4KZV2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FASN8N; 06-07-2017 at 11:51 PM.
    E91 Manual Wagon

My Cars
    1996 328i vert
    To add to FASN the typical test for the coil packs is to simply swap with a no misfiring cylinder, clear the code with INPA or a blue tooth OBD2 scanner and start her back up. The more and more electronic failures I read about on the e90+, I keep thinking INPA is a have to have...

My Cars
    2010 328i
    Thank you both for the advice! I am definitely going to follow it, and will order that spark plug socket.
    Is Bosch the type of coils that I should order? Do you guys know what type of spark plugs I should also order? I haven't ordered a BMW part before on my own, and wasn't sure if Bosch was the right one.
    Thanks again!!

My Cars
    E91 Manual Wagon
    I just did the Bosch coils and NGK plugs in my 2012 328i about 10k miles ago and am very happy.
    In the bottom of the pelican parts tutorial it lists the plugs and coils for your car. I even put in 2010 328 to correspond to your model.
    You can always contact them if you need to discuss.

E91 Manual Wagon

My Cars
    2010 328i
    Ahh you rock. So helpful! Thank you very much. I am going to go get them tomorrow and will do the work this weekend.
    Much appreciated,
    H

My Cars
    E91 Manual Wagon
    Also, add a dab of anti seize paste on the spark plug threads when doing the plugs

E91 Manual Wagon

My Cars
    2010 328i
    Ahh, good to know! Ok i'll grab some of that too. Thanks a million! Just ordered the parts, they should arrive on Sunday.

My Cars
    E91 Manual Wagon
    How did everything go?

E91 Manual Wagon