Thread: Broken Intermediate steering shaft

My Cars
    2000 Z3

Broken Intermediate steering shaft

Today the steering shaft just snap in half when making a U-Turn, no apparent reason, no resistence when turning, just a big pop and no more steering......
    Glad that happened going 2MPH in a small residential street

Now the question, what could have cause it to clean brake like that?

IMG_8431[1].jpg

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Ok, that's kinda scary. How many miles? Any steering issues leading up to this? Ever had the rack replaced? Pump ok? Car ever wrecked?

My Cars
    2000 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Ok, that's kinda scary. How many miles? Any steering issues leading up to this? Ever had the rack replaced? Pump ok? Car ever wrecked?
    Got the car a year ago, 45000 Miles, no accident that I know of, no apparent steering symptoms.

had to move the car out of the way and was still able to steer holding and turning the lower part of the broken shaft by hand in the engine bay, so power stiring still work fine.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Well, certainly save the broken shaft when it is replaced for further analysis. I've never seen anything like that before--and at 45,000 miles too--it doesn't make sense. Did you pull a Carfax on it when you bought it? Did you really piss off you mechanic the last time you were in?

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    What does the lower part of the shaft look like? I wonder if the rubber flex disc was replaced in the past.

My Cars
    z3
    This is quite scary... I have some theories but I dont think we have enough info to figure out why this happened

Prior to this happening, had you ever observed any slack in the steering? A small dead spot near center perhaps?

My Cars
    2000 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Well, certainly save the broken shaft when it is replaced for further analysis. I've never seen anything like that before--and at 45,000 miles too--it doesn't make sense. Did you pull a Carfax on it when you bought it? Did you really piss off you mechanic the last time you were in?
    Carfax show no accidents and the engine bay look original factory, probably could have piss of the mechanic if he left some grease on the seat...:-)
    and yes I will have it review/test to see what could have happen.

Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    What does the lower part of the shaft look like? I wonder if the rubber flex disc was replaced in the past.
    Just ordered a replacement shaft, will have this one out over the weekend or during next week and I will be able to look at it better.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    This is quite scary... I have some theories but I dont think we have enough info to figure out why this happened

Prior to this happening, had you ever observed any slack in the steering? A small dead spot near center perhaps?
    nothing very obtrusive, maybe a slight wheel shake time to time around 45mph

Also a friend suggested maybe to look for something that was rubbing against it, i will have to look at that closely, but I think the only thing at that level are the brake lines.
    Last edited by wildspeed; 06-08-2017 at 02:32 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Are you sure you weren't keeping your electric angle grinder in there?

I can't wait to see what exactly the break looks like, how weird.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by wildspeed View Post
    ... had to move the car out of the way and was still able to steer holding and turning the lower part of the broken shaft by hand...
    With so little effort required to turn the shaft, I wonder what could have stressed it enough to break.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    With so little effort required to turn the shaft, I wonder what could have stressed it enough to break.
    Not the same thing, but I had a control arm ball joint stud snap (while pulling away from a light at less then 20 mph). My dealer said they had never seen this before. Sometimes there are unseen defects in metal which can fail with little stress.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe
    That is very scary....be sure to keep us posted on what you find.
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe--Sterling Gray/Sunroof Delete/5MT

My Cars
    2000 Z3
    Got busy and never got a chance to work on the car,
    My mechanic did the swap, apparently a bracket or something in that area had been push against the shaft and was rubbing to the point of cutting the shaft.

IMG_8502.jpgIMG_8503.jpgIMG_8504.jpg

Have been driving it and looks like everything is back in order.
    Last edited by wildspeed; 06-24-2017 at 06:08 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by wildspeed View Post
    ... mechanic did the swap, apparently a bracket or something in that area had been push against the shaft and was rubbing to the point of cutting the shaft...
    So how did the bracket get pushed against the shaft and cut it? What bracket, and who did it? This is not something that is the fault of the car, that any of us have to worry about
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Yes, I would want to know exactly what bracket it was, how it got there, and what the mechanic did to relocate it.