Thread: flashing red light on roof switch

My Cars
    03 z4, 08 x5

flashing red light on roof switch

I'm having a huge issue with the roadster. I went to close the roof, went 2/3 of the way and stopped with a flshing red light. I followed the instructions and manually closed and latched. I drove home and tried to lower it, but now as soon as I put my key in the on position, the red light flashes and it does nothing else (windows don't drop, won't unlatch).

Please HEP

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    have you checked the pin switch in the trunk?
    101_0053-1.JPG
    You can access it if you remove the luggage deck/shelf.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK8TLjdFC34

My Cars
    03 z4, 08 x5
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsweet View Post
    have you checked the pin switch in the trunk?
    101_0053-1.JPG
    You can access it if you remove the luggage deck/shelf.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK8TLjdFC34
    I appreciate your response.

It tested ok. From what I've researched, With a flashing red light and nothing else happening it is a fatal fault. I'm looking for direction on possible wiring trouble spots before I take the roof off and test each switch wire individually.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
    I appreciate your response.

It tested ok. From what I've researched, With a flashing red light and nothing else happening it is a fatal fault. I'm looking for direction on possible wiring trouble spots before I take the roof off and test each switch wire individually.
    "Fatal fault" what does that even mean in this context? Blinking red light means there is a problem in the system... could mean the top motor is bad or a wire is frayed.

Most common culprit is the microswitches. The most common microswitch to fail is the one cdsweet pointed out. If the top goes down 2/3 of the way and then stops then the trunk microswitch is most likely the problem. How exactly did it "test ok" - did you use a multimeter? Or did you just look at it and notice the metal arm was intact? I'd remove the switch and jumper the wire, make sure the storage tray is down, and see what happens when you try to lower the top from there.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    03 z4, 08 x5
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    "Fatal fault" what does that even mean in this context? Blinking red light means there is a problem in the system... could mean the top motor is bad or a wire is frayed.

Most common culprit is the microswitches. The most common microswitch to fail is the one cdsweet pointed out. If the top goes down 2/3 of the way and then stops then the trunk microswitch is most likely the problem. How exactly did it "test ok" - did you use a multimeter? Or did you just look at it and notice the metal arm was intact? I'd remove the switch and jumper the wire, make sure the storage tray is down, and see what happens when you try to lower the top from there.
    The micro switch for the shelf will give an amber LED, not a flashing red one as soon as the key is turned on. Yes I tested the switch with a meter, that's why I said it tested OK. I really appreciate the input though.

My Cars
    z3
    When my top had problems, I remember the top going back 2/3 then stopping and the light would then blink red. It was a microswitch - the compartment was in the right spot, the switch itself tested good, but was not being physically engaged by the top and thus not working. So yes amber does mean the compartment shelf is down, IF the microswitch is working. I jumped it with a wire and it worked. Later, the top would pop off the windshield frame then not move and the light would blink red, this was when the top was bad.

I have a feeling yours is flashing constantly now because you closed it manually... did you try using the power function to close the top after it stopped working at the 2/3 mark? Maybe that in itself is likely an indicator of what the problem is... one of the microswitches thinks your top is open now when it isnt?
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 06-09-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    04 Z4 3.0i 6MT
    With the top in the down position try doing a hard reset of the battery.

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    Testing the micro switch to indicate its "ok"... Doesn't mean that the shelf is engaging the "silver arm" of the micro switch .....

Also make sure the shelf tray is properly engaged with the side hinges that fold up/down as you turn the shelf position knobs..... If they aren't the shelf won't properly engage the silver arm of the micro switch and allow its proper activation...

Had that happen to me ....

Sent from my iPad using BF.com

My Cars
    03 z4, 08 x5
    ***UPDATE***

I had to replace the entire wiring harness for the top. Took it in for a diagnostic and it had five codes for the top. Too many damaged wires to repair. I would like to thank everyone for the input

Cheers

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
    ***UPDATE***

I had to replace the entire wiring harness for the top. Took it in for a diagnostic and it had five codes for the top. Too many damaged wires to repair. I would like to thank everyone for the input

Cheers
    Out of curiosity what did that cost you?