Thread: Track Night in America events, dangerous / sketchy?

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S

Track Night in America events, dangerous / sketchy?

Have any of you gone out for one of these? I like the sound of it and the price is right, but I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that the oversight seems really low. I've heard there's no tech, and that you can essentially declare your own experience level. If you've done one of these, how did it go? Were you comfortable?

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    I've run two in the NE region and had a great time both times. Leaving work at lunch and spending a casual afternoon/evening at the track is blast. The idea behind TNiA is to lower the barrier of entry to get more people in street cars on track. A result of this is putting a little more responsibility on the entrant in exchange for less hassle.

So, yes, you're expected to self tech your car (you do sign a form saying so) and to classify yourself accurately. You can even do the driver's meeting online before hand in the Advanced group. It's as close to arrive and drive as can be. Show up, turn in a form, and wait for your time to go out. There are no in-car instructors either, but instructors do run with the groups and are watching and will provide some feedback as needed. Advanced drivers can also ride with others and have others ride with them.

Their customer service is also very good and its easy to cancel and move events, etc. Very helpful if you have questions about tech, groups, etc.

It may not be for everyone, but again, the whole point is to create cheap and easy track time. It's probably not the best format for instruction since you don't have an instructor. It's a progressive model that puts some faith in people to not be idiots. So far it seems to be working, but we'll see.

There are also lots of discount codes floating around, so look for those as well.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330ci
    It is true that you can declare your own experience level and tech sheets at most tracks. Some tracks like NJMP do their own tech and will check over the car as well as your safety equipment.

They do a really go job of flagging unsafe driving and adjusting groups if necessary. I have never had issues running with them.

If you have any other questions or want a discount code for an event shoot me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    I've run 2 events with them at Pocono Speedway in PA. I ran in advanced group both times. I can mirror what the posters above have said. Some of the drivers in my group didn't understand that you can give a point anywhere and usually waited until straights which can be frustrating. Other then that its a blast, great value for the money.

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
    I've run 2 events with them at Pocono Speedway in PA. I ran in advanced group both times. I can mirror what the posters above have said. Some of the drivers in my group didn't understand that you can give a point anywhere and usually waited until straights which can be frustrating. Other then that its a blast, great value for the money.
    Is the TNiA rule for advanced predicated on driver of the overtaken car's comfort? I've run with chaps who won't pass (or allow a pass from) someone they don't know in a corner, regardless of the track or organiser's rule.

My Cars
    Many
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    I've run two in the NE region and had a great time both times. Leaving work at lunch and spending a casual afternoon/evening at the track is blast. The idea behind TNiA is to lower the barrier of entry to get more people in street cars on track. A result of this is putting a little more responsibility on the entrant in exchange for less hassle.

So, yes, you're expected to self tech your car (you do sign a form saying so) and to classify yourself accurately. You can even do the driver's meeting online before hand in the Advanced group. It's as close to arrive and drive as can be. Show up, turn in a form, and wait for your time to go out. There are no in-car instructors either, but instructors do run with the groups and are watching and will provide some feedback as needed. Advanced drivers can also ride with others and have others ride with them.

Their customer service is also very good and its easy to cancel and move events, etc. Very helpful if you have questions about tech, groups, etc.

It may not be for everyone, but again, the whole point is to create cheap and easy track time. It's probably not the best format for instruction since you don't have an instructor. It's a progressive model that puts some faith in people to not be idiots. So far it seems to be working, but we'll see.

There are also lots of discount codes floating around, so look for those as well.
    This does a great job of summing up my experience. Great program, great customer service, great pricing, etc. The downside would be individuals who do not follow the program.

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Quote Originally Posted by harristweed View Post
    Is the TNiA rule for advanced predicated on driver of the overtaken car's comfort? I've run with chaps who won't pass (or allow a pass from) someone they don't know in a corner, regardless of the track or organiser's rule.
    Sure. But when I'm trying to get around a high horsepower car in the twisty sections of the track because I can't keep up in the straights it gets frustrating.

It hasn't happened often at both the events I've attended, just one thing I noticed.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by harristweed View Post
    Of course. Point by's are always given at the passee's comfort/discretion. If the passer is having trouble with traffic they should pit-in to find more space.

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    Thank for the feedback everyone. I just signed up for the TNiA event at Palmer on 6/15. From what you all are saying it should be a great time. I was actually just up at Palmer this past weekend so it will be great to get back to the same track so soon. I'll be sure to report back on how it went.

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
    Sure. But when I'm trying to get around a high horsepower car in the twisty sections of the track because I can't keep up in the straights it gets frustrating.

It hasn't happened often at both the events I've attended, just one thing I noticed.
    I glanced at the virtual driver's meeting and discovered the source of your frustration: nowhere is the rule about mirrors being optional in 500+ hp cars mentioned

Fair is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318

Thumbs up

I've been to a number of these TNiA events...

Like the poster I was extremely skeptical of the format, the number of total track noobs (it was mostly autocrossers the first few times), and lack of instruction, classrooms, tech, etc.

Well I was pleasantly surprised. Tom Gorman and the rest of the crew did a fantastic job at each event I've attended. I was able to get in some good testing in 3 sessions, and the later afternoon/early evening timeframe made it a lot easier to get to these events without missing too much work.

These events have become popular but its still not super packed like a typical track day, so traffic wasn't horrible. TNiA seems to bring folks who have never done track events into the fold. The low key layout is less scary for them, and I've seen these folks quickly get hooked and move up to SCCA PDX/Club Trials, NASA HPDE and other track events.

So as much as a hater as I was, I'm a believer now...
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag Motorsports

My Cars
    E46+E36 M3
    Just came in to echo what the previous posters have said. It is a great way to get out there on track and still get some time in at work to save those vacation days!

I have seen some issues in the first runs where trains were created with certain people who would not provide point-bys but that is quickly fixed by the next run....either black flag/talking to or the person is moved to a lower run group.

I haven't seen any sketchy cars or unsafe driving in the intermediate and advance groups.
    AW|Byzanz

My Cars
    3 - E30 M3s, '04 Ford F350, '06 Audi A3
    According to the rules / info page they don't allow race cars though correct?
    Meant for street registered cars?
    jimmy p.

88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car 2.0 Litre
    04 Ford F350 - V10
    06 Audi A3 Brilliant Red / 2.0 / DSG

My Cars
    E46+E36 M3
    I've seen several unregistered track/race cars. Think most are spec miatas that I have seen.
    AW|Byzanz

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmypet View Post
    According to the rules / info page they don't allow race cars though correct?
    Meant for street registered cars?
    Not sure why they say this, maybe to cover their ass in case the decide to not let someone drive, but I have never seen it enforced. The last event I went to their was a fully raced prepped IMSA Continental series Mustang there in the advanced group and a couple E36 M3 racecars there testing for an upcoming AER race. Shoot me a PM if you would like a discount code for an event.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    The spirit of the event to be street car oriented. Essentially, to be welcoming to noobs. In the NER region, they don't allow stickered up cars or anything blatantly racecar according to Greg Amy, the NER Event Manager.

My Cars
    3 - E30 M3s, '04 Ford F350, '06 Audi A3
    Yeah thats what I took away from the rules.
    Race cars not welcome.

Would be great test situation, a cheap way to get on track for non street registered car just to shake out something before a race weekend.
    The counterpoint would be there are no Noobs in the advanced group so why would it matter,,, but I assume someone has their reasons.
    They have these at Pocono which is 35 minutes from my house, would be a great opportunity for a trouble shooting night.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MDGearhead View Post
    Not sure why they say this, maybe to cover their ass in case the decide to not let someone drive, but I have never seen it enforced. The last event I went to their was a fully raced prepped IMSA Continental series Mustang there in the advanced group and a couple E36 M3 racecars there testing for an upcoming AER race. Shoot me a PM if you would like a discount code for an event.

Interesting.
    Thats exactly what would appeal to me.
    jimmy p.

88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car 2.0 Litre
    04 Ford F350 - V10
    06 Audi A3 Brilliant Red / 2.0 / DSG

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Theres definitely been some track-only cars at the pocono events

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    I went to the TNiA event at Palmer last night. I had a great time. The event was well organized and I didn't find any reasons to be concerned. Overall it was an awesome way to get out to the track for an evening.

Also, there were definitely some full on racecars there running in the advanced group. I wouldn't be too worried about getting out there for a shakedown.