RM European Auto Parts

Thread: No reaction to acceleration for 1-2 second then it downshifts and accelerate

My Cars
    2001 bmw e46 320i

No reaction to acceleration for 1-2 second then it downshifts and accelerate

Hi, everyone. I'm new here and my english is bad so i'm sorry in advance

I've 2002 e46 320i with 2.2 liter M54 engine and with automatic transmission. It has issues with acceleration. Sometimes while driving when i gently press gas pedal to speed up the car has no reaction to it like for 1-2 seconds then it downshifts and accelerates fast. And sometimes when i start to move from stop light or whatever the car jumps forward and then goes back to normal acceleration. I've tried it with cruise control "+" button just to be sure it's not pedal issue and it does the same thing.
    Tachometer is stable while idling. Also fuel consumption is bad (increased aprx. 1.5 times of normal) and arrow is jumping around sometimes.

Things i did so far:
    Cleaned Idle Control Valve
    Installed new air filter
    Checked transmission fluid level
    Checked for any error codes with INPA, nothing was there
    Checked fuel pump pressure
    Next thing i want to do is to change spark plugs and maybe fuel filter. The fuel filter is new, i got it like 5k miles ago, but i don't know what else to change. What else can cause this problem? Hope you'll help me to solve this issue. Thnax in advance

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

Well what modules did you check for codes in? Also I would use the live data feed in INPA to see if something is out of the parameters.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2001 bmw e46 320i
    Thanx for quick reply, mate
    Actually i didn't check for codes by myself i got guy who did it cause i don't have a scanner. But he is good at it and only code he got is (060) 3c which is tarnsmission position switch but i had that code long before it started doing this kind of stuff, do you think it can cause it?

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Could very well be a problem with the pedal, throttle body, and several others come to mind. The problem is you have to start with reading the codes. Codes are the clues you have to use to find out the problem. So see if that chap with the INPA can look in the EGS, DME to start with. Inside the DME is where you will find the live data feed, and it works when you take the car out for a drive and have the person sit in the passenger seat and watch it.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2001 bmw e46 320i
    But shouldn't it happen earlier back when transmission position switch error was recorded in EGS? Also it's the only error in EGS. I'm planning to buy some cheap INPA obd2 scaner to start diagnosing by myself and will definetly check that DME thing while driving. I've never seen someone checking codes while driving

My Cars
    2001 bmw e46 320i
    OK, guys so i bought INPA compatible cable and scanned for errors and i found this error in Engine section:

18 NW_A - Fehler
    Error frequency : 111
    Logistic counter: 40
    N_32 1376.00 rpm
    Motorbetriebszustand = Teillast 8.00 -
    TOIL 94.48 Grad C
    VB 13.77 V
    aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 39.10 h
    ---
    ---
    kein Signal
    ---
    Fehler ist abgasrelevant
    Fehler entprellt
    Fehler momentan vorhanden
    sporadischer Fehler
    Errorcode: 12 F4 6F 28 2B 08 B3 87 26 2D

According to the internet it's exhaust camshaft sensor, i plan to replace it but i.m not sure it can cause that jerkiness.
    Also i checked transmission but found no errors. While checking for errors i saw this in "wires" section and wonder if that "WIRE L3" should be OFF like this:

any ideas is appreciated

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Humm where did you find "wires" in INPA? I don't think I have seen that screen before, is this in the DME?

As for the code, yes that is present and I am sure causing your transmission issues. As for a replacement, make sure you get a branded sensor, from VDO, Seimens, or Bosch. Any other sensor will cause problems later on down the road and you will be back at square 1 again.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2001 bmw e46 320i
    The "wires" are in Transmission->Status section in INPA.

Valve cover gasket is leaking little bit of oil right above the sensor which i think might damaged it. I will buy genuine BMW sensor cause i'm tried of this nonsense. No check engine light with non working camshaft sensor, come on, BMW

Also 2 days ago my car showed me ABS Trifecta which i've had before, so i did full check in INPA by myself and found 5DF5 Steuergeraet Fehler intern (CU internal error as google says) which means i have to change ABS control unit again as i have changed it twice with used one. Which works fine like 4-8k KM then it starts again. Error lights are gone for now as error is not present know but i know it will come back. Because it was doing it previous times as well. When for the first time ABS trifecta light comes on with beep sound, i stop, turn engine off and then start the car again. After that ABS goes to normal again with no error lights on dashboard.
    I have no clue damages my my ABS units.I was thinking if it's alternator gone bad but i tested and it's giving 13.7-13.9 volts while idling and while driving with A/C, headlights and radio on it's about 13.5-13.7. Is it normal? Cause i've heard if it's below 12.5 then it's bad.

I desperately need help on solving ABS problem. Also here are the other errors i got in INPA. Would be great if you could help me to understand what those mean.

103 Diebstahlwarnanlage: Sirene, Funkinnenraumschutz, Neigungsgeber oder Leitung STDWA Kurzschluss
    Error frequency : 31
    statischer Fehler
    Errorcode: 07 3F
    ================================================== ===========

249 keine CAN ID ASC3
    Error frequency : 255
    Leitungsunterbrechung
    sporadischer Fehler
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    191 KOMBI46-EEPROM, Codierung fehlerhaft/unvollstaendig
    Error frequency : 40
    ungueltiger Arbeitsbereich

28 AUC Sensor
    Error frequency : 4
    Kurzschluss gegen U-Batt
    Errorcode: 1C 01 04 42 6E D8 93 11 03 72

51 WC-Toleranz erhoeht bei Schluessel Nummer 3
    Error frequency : 31
    statischer Fehler

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I can understand the German, however you do know that INPA can be installed in British or American English?

The only one I can see that will affect the ABS is #249, and that is a communication error on the CAN, it has happened 255 times, and is currently present, and a sporadic fault. What might help is to unplug the ABS/DSC ECU, clean both sides of the connector with a contact spray and plug back in.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2001 bmw e46 320i
    I just couldn't find working English version of INPA and the one that came with the cable won't read all the control units, so i installed what i found just to be able to find what causes the ABS fail before it goes bad permanently.

Do you think a bad connector can cause ABS modules to fail everytime?
    I think the porblem is on the car side of the connectors as ABS side has been changed. Also where can i find wiring diagram of ABS/DSC connector and how do i check if cables are ok?

Thank you so much, mate

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    As for the wiring diagrams here is the online version of WDS: http://www.bmw-planet.net/diagrams/release/en/

What I would do is a voltage drop test on each wire to ensure they are not broken/cut somewhere.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2001 bmw e46 320i
    So, i changed my exhaust camshaft sensor, and deleted error. So far no erros about camshaft sensor but the car is still a little bit jerky when acceleration. Do i need reset any adaption in INPA?
    Also i don't understand most of adoption reset meanings like: closing-time clearing, height correction clearing, idle-speed fluid control clearing, knock control clearing, variants clearing

I tried goolge but didn't find what exactly they mean and i don't want reset anything unnecessary

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Adaptions do several different things, and when you replace sparkplug, oxygen sensors, rebuild vanos, ect, it should be reset. It also adjusts the LTFT/STFT, so you want to get a clean slate when you did quite a bit of work on the car. And yes it will effect the transmission too.

Rest them, and after 25-30 miles it will adjust.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2001 bmw e46 320i
    So after driving a while i noticed that problem just still presents or got even worse (no acceleration or reaction gas pedal etc.) and yesterday when i was braking on speed 10-15 kmph car just shut off (engine stopped, no power steering, no brakes). I removed and reinserted the key and started the engine everything worked fine. So i scanned it with INPA to see whats wrong. The engine had no error but it had 5 errors in shadow which wasn't there before:

90 TEG_UP_1
    Error frequency : 0
    N_32 0.00 rpm
    MAF 0.00 mg/stk
    TCO 23.25 Grad C
    V_TEG 0.06 V

KS-->Ground

Error to relevant
    Error not debounce
    Error currently not available
    stat. Error
    ------------------------------------------
    91 TEG_UP_2
    N_32 0.00 rpm
    MAF 0.00 mg/stk
    TCO 23.25 Grad C
    V_TEG 0.04 V

KS-->Ground

Error to relevant
    Error not debounce
    stat. Error
    ------------------------------------------
    91 TEG_DOWN_2
    N_32 0.00 rpm
    MAF 0.00 mg/stk
    TCO 23.25 Grad C
    V_TEG 0.04 V

KS-->Ground

Error to relevant
    Error not debounce
    stat. Error
    -----------------------------------------
    133 Timeout CAN-Botschaft ASC3
    N_32 0.00 rpm
    MAF 0.00 mg/stk
    TCO 23.25 Grad C
    VB 11.83 V

Timeout reached

Error not debounce
    stat. Error
    -----------------------------------------
    52 Exhaust flap
    N_32 0.00 rpm
    MAF 0.00 mg/stk
    TCO 24.00 Grad C
    VB 11.93 V

KS-->Ground or open circuit

Error not debounce
    stat. Error

I don't know what those errors mean. It seems to me like electrical issue or fuel pump going bad (also my fuel consumption gauge goes up and down like crazy most of the time) , but i don't know what to do after all.
    Last edited by freestyle31225; 07-14-2017 at 03:04 AM.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I can honestly say that I have never seen the first 3 codes. The 4th codes just once/twice which I would check the ABS/DSC DME as that is where it is pointing me. As for the last code, just ignore it, for you can take a golf "T" and put it inside the vacuum line going to the flapper on the muffler.

Have you start to use a Bluetooth logger yet? That will also help with the fuel economy tracking.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330i
    My car is doing all kinds of random things and one of them is same as you,mine cut off yesterday and wouldnt crank back...ether did eventually start it up but im hesitant to buy fuel pump or any parts bc everything i read seems to lead to problems still exist after parts are replaced...does a 2002 330i have an integrated supply module?

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCharmed View Post
    My car is doing all kinds of random things and one of them is same as you,mine cut off yesterday and wouldnt crank back...ether did eventually start it up but im hesitant to buy fuel pump or any parts bc everything i read seems to lead to problems still exist after parts are replaced...does a 2002 330i have an integrated supply module?
    Welcome to the Forum!

It is considered bad etiquette to jump in a thread with your own problem which may not be similar. Your car uses a different version of programming than the O.P. as well as a different engine size. Also it allows the tech's here to be able to direct your thread and not get confused by the O.P.'s problem.

So my suggestion will be to start a separate thread with all your info.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2001 BMW E39 Sport
    Freestyle, we had what seem like an identical set of problems on our 2001 E39 - it turned out to be a MAF on the way out.

When we went to accelerate away from a set of traffic lights there would be a delay to the throttle input, then suddenly the car would take off. On kick-down it felt like the car was bogging down, then suddenly the car would kick down and accelerate. We had problems with the car stalling at low speed, and suddenly surging when driving at very low revs in places like carparks when the DME reacted to prevent a stall.

BMW and Autologic found no error codes at all.

We disconnected the MAF plug to see what would happen on the default maps in the DME, and the car ran perfectly with the exception of the slightly low idle speed you get when you disconnect the MAF. We changed the MAF to a known good one and the car ran perfectly. New MAF fitted, no problems since.

For whatever reason, on our car at least, the failure mode of the MAF meant there were no codes present. You should be able to unplug your MAF, start the car, and then take it for a drive and see what happens. If the car suddenly runs fine it may well be the MAF. You could swap it with a known good unit to confirm the MAF is the problem.

On the ABS module issue. You mentioned that you replaced the ABS modules with used units, and then you get failures after 4000 to 8000km. That's quite a variation in distance. I'm not certain there is a problem with the car that is making the ABS units fail, it may simply be the used units are are failing because they are coming to the end of their service life. There are places that rebuild them and guarantee the rebuilt units, so it may be worth getting one of the failed units rebuilt.

My Cars
    2001 bmw e46 320i
    E39MGirl, i've tried to drive with MAF unpluged it doesn't seem to change anything, also i did a test in inpa while driving with MAF pluged and recorded:

Sorry for a long video, please watch it at X2 speed. at 4:20 total air consumption shows abnormal numbers, is it ok?

I also tested throttle body and the gas pedal position while driving:

seems ok to me but sometimes in the video you can see pedal position and throttle body opening is not synchronized, could it be throttle body failing? i've got it cleaned last time when i got ABS module replaced but no difference.

And about ABS, i don't think i have that kind of bad luck to get 3 ABS modules fail on me, there is something that drives the unit crazy and eventually brakes it. Most of the places that rebuild ABS resolder loose wires, as it's common problem in e39 bc of its postition next to exhaust system. I've opened my old ABS unit and it was nearly perfect, no loose soldering places and wires. i think it might be vacuum tank leak or something cause brake pedal is soft at the begining then it hardens and the car starts to brake.