Thread: Rear shock plates

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2015 M5

Rear shock plates

2 questions...I (and by that I mean me and a real mechanic) just finished up a front end suspension refurb (H&R, Bilstein) and about to start on the rear.
    Needless to say, I'm installiing the reinforcement plates and had read somewhere that using a 3M product was adequate enough and avoided welding. Any thoughts or experience with that?
    Second question....and I apologize to anyone who may consider this blasphamy. Would you guys ever consider changing the color when painting? I've been working on my 8 since I bought it a year ago and the day for body work and paint is fast approaching. I NEVER thought I would change the color but lately it's crossed my mind.
    I know....to each his own but curious where most of you fellow 8ers land on this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 850CSi, 2007 M5
    Some threads that may help you regarding your shock plates question:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...d-from-factory
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...rcement+plates

I can't really determine what color your 8 is in the pic, regardless, keep it.
    1994 850CSi, 2007 M5, 1990 VW Westy Syncro, 2010 e61 Touring Manual

My Cars
    97 850CI
    Quote Originally Posted by CDO5OO1A View Post
    On color change. Calypso really isn't a color you'd want to change but a silver or black car (excluding diamond swartz) might be a candidate. Change to Yellow? or Avus Blue? That would give an interior black with yellow exterior or blue exterior. Those combinations work.
    Change the color if it is Black? WHAT?!?!?! Have you lost your mind? JK. It really depends on your intentions with the car. If you plan to keep it forever, and you don't like the current color, I say change it.
    Desecrator of all things Sacred

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2015 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cheese View Post
    Some threads that may help you regarding your shock plates question:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...d-from-factory
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...rcement+plates

I can't really determine what color your 8 is in the pic, regardless, keep it.
    Thanks for the threads. I saw those but unless I missed something, no talk of 3M sealer?

My Cars
    1994 Alpine White 840Ci
    I use 3M DP420 adhesive for a ton of fixes on my 8. Seems like every project on this beast requires some fixing of broken tabs, plastic bits, etc.
    We use this on aircraft structure at my job as it is a toughened system that has some flexibility.
    https://www.ebay.com/i/172461620600?chn=ps&dispItem=1

I went ahead and bought the 3M EPX dispenser as I'm always fixing something on the old girl.
    Bill.
    '94 840Ci "Broomhilda"
    Mission Creep |def|: "When repair X ultimately leads to repair Y and Z"

My Cars
    E31, E36/7, E61
    Are you talking about the factory reinforcement plates orthe aftermarket tower support plates? The latter require no additional fixingapart from the shock mount bolts.

Color change is a personal decision, but remember it requires more work as youdon't want a different colored engine bay, door shuts etc.

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2015 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by e31gixxxer View Post
    Are you talking about the factory reinforcement plates orthe aftermarket tower support plates? The latter require no additional fixingapart from the shock mount bolts.

Color change is a personal decision, but remember it requires more work as youdon't want a different colored engine bay, door shuts etc.
    I hear you on color change...im inclined not to go that route also for valuation purposes. I would love to go blue or red though.
    With respect to the shock tower plates, do i need both or will the aftermarket ones that go over top be enough?

My Cars
    E31, E36/7, E61
    Originally Posted by e31gixxxer Are you talking about the factory reinforcement plates orthe aftermarket tower support plates? The latter require no additional fixingapart from the shock mount bolts.

I hear you on color change...im inclined not to go that route also for valuation purposes. I would love to go blue or red though.
    With respect to the shock tower plates, do i need both or will the aftermarket ones that go over top be enough?

Many of us have only the aftermarket support plates and these are fine. Many years running non comfort valved Bilsteins with no issues.