Thread: Auto wipers finally work after new windshield

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5

Auto wipers finally work after new windshield

I've read dozens of threads about replacement windshields and our auto wipers not working. Most of them blame the non BMW glass. My auto wipers weren't working. I could see a huge air bubble where the sensor sits. The windshield was a replacement. So whoever installed the sensor on that replacement did a less than stellar job. I don't think it's the glass at all. I think it's poor installation of the sensor or poor prep work.

I bought a replacement gel pad then I removed the sensor and cleaned everything with alcohol. In the process I hit the mirror and it came off with a couple chunks of glass. Safelight said it couldn't be repaired because it was on the inside and they couldn't get the resin to flow uphill into the holes. Makes sense. They ordered a replacement windshield. I told them I had the rain sensor and I would install it myself. I guess they didn't hear very well. When I returned they said the new windshield came with a new mirror button attached. I got in and I noticed they had installed a new rain sensor lens. I checked the outside and didn't see any air bubbles in the gel pad. Got it home and attached the sensor to the gel pad. Plugged it in and it works like a charm. It's a slight drizzle out today so I put it on its highest settings. Everything works great.

I know Safelite has a bad rep for lousy work and more. Probably well deserved in most cases. In my rural state things are different. I've done a lot of business with Safelite and never been disappointed. In any case the insurance paid for everything except $100 so I'm happy.

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    when you replace the windshield you must replace the gel pad. its a bout a 5 dollar part. most just scrape off the old glass and put on new. doesnt work that way.
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.

My Cars
    2003 330ci
    I was under the impression that if you order a windscreen for a car equipped with the rain sensor (even a non OEM screen), that it should come with the lens attached as they are not meant to be separated and not sold separately by BMW (you can buy them separately off ebay though). Fly, your correct in saying that it has nothing to do with the glass. I have non BMW glass that wasn't designed for the rain sensor but I recently retrofitted auto wipers and auto lights and they work fine. Air bubbles seem to play a big part in malfunctioning automatic wipers, I can only assume due to poor quality/cheap aftermarket windscreen manufacturers that don't take care in attaching the lens.
    Last edited by Hellmet; 06-15-2017 at 02:56 PM.

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellmet View Post
    I was under the impression that if you order a windscreen for a car equipped with the rain sensor (even a non OEM screen), that it should come with the lens attached as they are not meant to be separated and not sold separately by BMW (you can buy them separately off ebay though). Fly, your correct in saying that it has nothing to do with the glass. I have non BMW glass that wasn't designed for the rain sensor but I recently retrofitted auto wipers and auto lights and they work fine. Air bubbles seem to play a big part in malfunctioning automatic wipers, I can only assume due to poor quality/cheap aftermarket windscreen manufacturers that don't take care in attaching the lens.

you can get the lenze pad seperately, we used to replace them from time to time. it is 100 percent on how clean the glass is and how good the pad gets applied when installing the sensor to any glass.
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    All I can tell you is they quoted me $370 if I was paying myself and it didn't include the sensor lens or gelnpad. My insurance covered the replacement with a $100 deductible. Safelight said they have to go by different rules when insurance company pays. They billed the insurance over $500 and it included a new lens and gel pad. So now I have a spare. Still works great.