My Cars
    2010 BMW X5 30i

Dying Water Pump?

Have a 2010 x5 30i that I bought 3 months ago. Currently has 99,400 m. It has run like top until yesterday, when after about 10 min of driving I get the yellow "Engine hot" warning to drive moderately. A minute later the red "Stop driving" came on and engine began to lose power. I wasn't far from home so after letting it cool off, I drove home. Fluid level was good, no leaks, so I'm thinking water pump. I was hoping maybe a fuse so I went through the bleed procedure and got no coolant movement, but there was a slight noise coming from the lower passenger side that sounded maybe like a dying hamster calling out for help. So may I assume it's not a fuse? Also, I read some posts about pump recalls, but not clear if those are for the turbo coolant pumps only. Does anyone know if any recalls might apply?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    You need to pull faults also when the electric water pump is failing you hear the electric cooling fan on at high speed.

My Cars
    2010 BMW X5 30i
    From the sound it was making I was pretty sure it was the pump. I looked underneath and was thinking I might have to take it to the dealer because I couldn't see a way to get to it. My son-in-law came over and made the mistake of saying it didn't look too hard. I said Prove it, and an hour later he had it off. Took it apart and it was obviously bad. Yes, the only symptom I had was the fan coming on almost immediately after starting. Now just have to look for a new one.

My Cars
    528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by grounger View Post
    Have a 2010 x5 30i that I bought 3 months ago. Currently has 99,400 m. It has run like top until yesterday, when after about 10 min of driving I get the yellow "Engine hot" warning to drive moderately. A minute later the red "Stop driving" came on and engine began to lose power. I wasn't far from home so after letting it cool off, I drove home. Fluid level was good, no leaks, so I'm thinking water pump. I was hoping maybe a fuse so I went through the bleed procedure and got no coolant movement, but there was a slight noise coming from the lower passenger side that sounded maybe like a dying hamster calling out for help. So may I assume it's not a fuse? Also, I read some posts about pump recalls, but not clear if those are for the turbo coolant pumps only. Does anyone know if any recalls might apply?
    As far as I know there never was a specific 'turbo coolant pump', it's only the one electric one that supplies the entire motor.

While you're in there you should do the thermostat as well. It's almost gaurenteed to go bad around the same time.

My Cars
    03 Z4 / 12 X5
    Out of curiosity, how many miles are on your X5? They seem to fail as soon as 60k miles.

I have a 2012 3.5, sitting right at 60k miles, and already bought the water pump, thermostat and expansion tank....ready to swap out as soon as I get the time.
    Last edited by Madjap; 06-15-2017 at 10:23 AM.

My Cars
    2010 BMW X5 30i
    There are 99,400 miles on it. But I've only had it about 4 months so I can't guarantee it hasn't already been replaced. The pump I took off was a Siemens. Not sure how an original pump would be branded. I replaced the pump, thermostat, and connecting hose and it's running fine now. 583.00 dollars for the parts on-line and about a day labor. It would take half as long the next time now that I've done it.
    Just a note on the quick connectors. I've seen two opinions on their operation. 1) Leave the locking clip open, insert the hose, push the locking clip down. 2) Close the locking clip before inserting the hose. This is the correct way. The flair on the male hose pushes the wire clips aside allowing them to snap into place, locking the hose with an audible click. That way you know its in all the way.

My Cars
    2012 X6 35i
    Thanks for posting!