Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 540i powertrainswal

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    UPDATE im in dying need of some assistance i have completely finished the swap engine and tranny completely in all wiring done cleared all codes car turns to the on position all lights come on but when i go to crank...NOTHING i have come to the conclusion it is the EWS system not giving me any spark or fuel is there any way to run a bypass ????? i know dudmd offers a ews delete but it is 300 and would require even more downtime for my precious 540 :/ anything any tricks a diagram ffs something lol ive been searching and searching but i cant find anything on my car just to remind my build date is 03/98 anyone have any experience with this type of thing? and if i find a way to bypass it will it be for just the engine what about the tranny???

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Dude. Acquire some mellowing pharmaceuticals. Deep breaths. Think of a quiet waterfall deep in the forest. Now.

What do you have for coding computer? Are you using some sh1t generic OBD code clearing device? Or using BMW specific software tools? If EWS is failing it will clearly set codes.

Did you ever try to turn car over with the EWS or the DME/ECU disconnected at any point in the swap process? If so the EWS could easily be simply out of sync and needs a 2 minute EWS sync procedure w a proper software.

Did you swap a manual in after all? If so how did you do "all wiring"? The auto vs manual wirng is dramatically different for the starter and a manual swap requires wirng fixes plus recoding of multiple modules.

You have ZERO reason to need an EWS delete, chasing that is utterly and purely a waste of time and money... Unless you somehow swapped a different ECU or EWS in the car (did you do either of those and not mention it?) In which case a simple virginization is all you need, but, honestly there's no reason you should need that.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    i have a pretty decent obd tool but is not bmw specific i also have a state inspection machine that can read but its kinda outdated , did not try to start with ews disconnected will try that when i get to my shop tomorrow and sadly i did not put in a manual i put the an auto tranny with just under a 100k cleaned it all out and everything , i am looking into one of those odb2 to usb cords online and some sort of bmw scanner software i can download on my laptop is there any specific software's that might do the trick?

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    im doing some late night research and it looks like i need a obd2 to usb cable and inpa to to do the sync ? can anyone refer me to any threads on this especially for my m62 v8

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Do not try to start it with the EWS disconnected.
    INPA for your car will require a cable that plugs into the round connector under the hood, not the OBD port under the dash.

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    what will happen if i try to start with no ews? i am at my shop now ive got the battery vharger on it and now when i go to start it doesent crank but i hear something making a rotatiion i cant get my finger on it as i need someone to start it while i pinpoint the noise but it sound like a throttle body oppening but i dont think its that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Do not try to start it with the EWS disconnected.
    INPA for your car will require a cable that plugs into the round connector under the hood, not the OBD port under the dash.
    this is the cable i plan on buying tommorow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N76C6J3...a-314531757829 can you link me to the cable you are tallking about

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon528i View Post
    what will happen if i try to start with no ews? i am at my shop now ive got the battery vharger on it and now when i go to start it doesent crank but i hear something making a rotatiion i cant get my finger on it as i need someone to start it while i pinpoint the noise but it sound like a throttle body oppening but i dont think its that

- - - Updated - - -

this is the cable i plan on buying tommorow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N76C6J3...a-314531757829 can you link me to the cable you are tallking about
    One of these https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...cable&_sacat=0
    E85 fueled, Eaton m112 supercharged 4.5L M62TU, TTV racing flywheel, Spec stage 2+ clutch, 88c thermostat, eibach sway bars, wavetrac 3.15 lsd, m5 steering box, Quantum 340lph fuel pump, Dinan camber plates, some powerflex bushings, Supersprint headers, M5 cats, 2001 gas pedal upgrade and many other things done. all diy by me

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander

- - - Updated - - -

If you try to start it with the EWS disconnected it will loose sync with the DME which Geargrrinder mentioned a few posts back.
    The round connector 1999 540i M linked to is what you need. And a cable that will plug into the OBD end that has a USB on the other end.

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    so i need to get both cords, install inpa on a windows xp laptop then just sync the ews and theoretically i should be ok??

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    so i need to get both cords, install inpa on a windows xp laptop then just sync the ews and theoretically i should be ok??
    My opinion is No, as you described it there is no reason for ews to be out of sync, are you sure you hooked all the engine and trans wires up?
    E85 fueled, Eaton m112 supercharged 4.5L M62TU, TTV racing flywheel, Spec stage 2+ clutch, 88c thermostat, eibach sway bars, wavetrac 3.15 lsd, m5 steering box, Quantum 340lph fuel pump, Dinan camber plates, some powerflex bushings, Supersprint headers, M5 cats, 2001 gas pedal upgrade and many other things done. all diy by me

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    im like 99 percent sure the only thing im iffy on is one of my grounds might be right or wrong i couldnt find any diagrams online for the chassis grounds so i did th best i could i feel like maybe one might not be in the right place but at the same time im not sure it might be does anyone have a diagram of where they all go, i got all the grounds off alldata but it didnt show the "big grounds" only the smaller ones inside the car and around the engine bay but not the ones that go to the starter and alternator

- - - Updated - - -

but evrything else is where it should be as far as the wiring harness

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    im like 99 percent sure the only thing im iffy on is one of my grounds might be right or wrong i couldnt find any diagrams online for the chassis grounds so i did th best i could i feel like maybe one might not be in the right place but at the same time im not sure it might be does anyone have a diagram of where they all go, i got all the grounds off alldata but it didnt show the "big grounds" only the smaller ones inside the car and around the engine bay but not the ones that go to the starter and alternator

- - - Updated - - -

but evrything else is where it should be as far as the wiring harness
    There is only one big ground to the engine on the passenger side motor mount, Does it crank and not fire?

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    no crank no fire no fuel

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    no crank no fire no fuel
    I would check the starter, that its hooked up and that it works

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    starter is nice and tight , i check the ground by the passenger motor mount it it fine to would you happen to know where the ones from the alternator run back to just so ican double check

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    starter is nice and tight , i check the ground by the passenger motor mount it it fine to would you happen to know where the ones from the alternator run back to just so ican double check
    Do you know the starter works? There is only one big ground wire, nothing to the alternator

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    wait a minute i think i may have both grounds on my car and forgot to take one off when i took the original engine out i didn't disconnect the grounds from the body and when i put the new one in the ground cables were already hooked up yo the alternator oh and yes im pretty positive the starter works . is there only one complete ground wire that runs to everything or is it two separate ones? i hope this is all just my stupidity after all xP

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    wait a minute i think i may have both grounds on my car and forgot to take one off when i took the original engine out i didn't disconnect the grounds from the body and when i put the new one in the ground cables were already hooked up yo the alternator oh and yes im pretty positive the starter works . is there only one complete ground wire that runs to everything or is it two separate ones? i hope this is all just my stupidity after all xP
    The picture ended up as your avatar, and is to small to make out.

There is a positive cable that goes to the starter the alternator than up to the valve cover, only one ground that connects at the passenger motor mount

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    confirmed am idiot , i followed the ground that goes from under the chassis on the passenegr up to the starter only has one more end that looks like it goes exactly to the alternator,Ai dios mio porqueee

- - - Updated - - -

ughhh this is gonna be apain in the ass as i look at this super tight engine bay ;/

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    confirmed am idiot , i followed the ground that goes from under the chassis on the passenegr up to the starter only has one more end that looks like it goes exactly to the alternator,Ai dios mio porqueee

- - - Updated - - -

ughhh this is gonna be apain in the ass as i look at this super tight engine bay ;/
    That's not a ground that's the positive, Don't forget to disconnect the battery!

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    oh ive been shocked before thats the first thing i did, my engine is from a 740 and the positive coming from the alternator down looks exatly like the one coming up the passenger side just one end is to short to reach the starter , ihad the same problem with the fuel rails and oil return line but took care of those i dont know how i didnt think of this i couldve started my car like two weeks ago! i will prolly do it tommorow as im closing up shop over here but i might do it tonight not sure yet...

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999 540i m View Post
    My opinion is No, as you described it there is no reason for ews to be out of sync, are you sure you hooked all the engine and trans wires up?
    Exactly all this.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    If ews loses sync, car will crank but no fuel/spark.
    If ews is faulty or dead immobilizer inside the key, no crank.

But your issue is most likely in the engine, either something is not plugged in/hooked up, or something is plugged in incorrectly.
    This part will be very hard to diagnose/troubleshoot over internet.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    Update, i got the right ground and the car will crank now and also has fuel and fuel pressure but no spark with new plugs so im thinking crank sensor?

- - - Updated - - -

Also i have to “hotwire” the car the key will turn on everything but when i go to start it nothing, ive been trying to start it by just jumping the starter to the ground and the engine will crank and get fuel but no spark to start this mfer! And havent had much time to work on her but trying to atleast have her rolling by xmas , also anyone got some recommendations on wheel spacers i need some clearance in the rear

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    another boring update... i checked all fuses and relays also the crank sensor was fine i tested that to , this past weekend and theres no power going to my starter relay i wanted to try to jump it but it looks like the security system is playing a part in it , im gonna go ahead and order this https://www.amazon.com/LZLRUN-INPA-D...ct_top?ie=UTF8 or if there is a better version of this cord send me a link , iam going to try and reset the security or erase it completely im not sure im kind of getting frustrated at this point my car is ready to go but wont go. hopefully when i hook it up to inpa i can get a better idea of whats going on in that pesky ecu. and also i have went over the car multiple times now me and my father and everything mechanical is hooked up right so im really hoping this will do the trick if not ill just try out my coding skills since my car wont be moving anyway LOL who knows maybe put some cool party tricks on it ive heard you make the headlights do some pretty wacky things if anyone has any good recomnidations on coding videos for our 540s please share them or any coding videos regardimg to my problem oh and the any other diagnostic soft wares maybe some pirated links to alldata or anything of the likes as i plan to use this cable not just for my bmw , thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast