Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 540i powertrainswal

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    oh and would the security be the reason for my key not starting the car because it will turn all accessories and lights but when i go to turn it over nothing , to crank i have to jump the starter would the securtiy system be causing this to?? oh and just a reminder my car is an 03/98 build date my engine is out of a 98 740( exaclty the same codes on block and aircooled alternator same intake im sure its the right engine also i dont remeber the month from the donor car and my tranny is out of an 03 540i same trans to i compared before i took the old one apart and scrapped it yes i know my car is a frankenstein and isnt worth anything lol should i just reset the whole ecu to try to get all these diffrent componets in sync????

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    my obd2 to usb with inpa software and 20 pin round connector to obd2 is ordered and will be here sat yay for amazon prime free 2 day ship maybe by then i will have some replies......

My Cars
    '00 BMW ///M5

540i powertrainswal

You might have issues with the cable since your car has the ADS port in the engine bay and your using a USB cable. Hopefully you'll have the software portion sorted out quickly as it can be confusing.
    Last edited by Keith Nguyen; 12-28-2017 at 07:19 AM.
    --=Keith

My Cars
    '00 BMW ///M5

540i powertrainswal

The way the drive away protection system is designed is the EWS module controls the starter while communicating with the DME. The DME controls the fuel pump and ignition grated it gets the green light from the EWS module. Sounds like you have an issue with the EWS module.
    --=Keith

My Cars
    '00 BMW ///M5
    By the way, here's a good PDF explaining how the EWS system operates. You sound have EWS 3. www.e38.org/EWS.pdf

--=Keith
    --=Keith

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    As DUDMD said before... and as will be documented in that PDF...

EWS immob will go through more or less 2 stages

1. Key transponder validation - if it cannot read a key that is one that's paired and authorized to the the car, it will not crank. If it does, and if it passes a few other minor checks like 'Park' (or clutch-in for OEM USA manual cars) it will crank the starter. If it does not, then it won't crank, silent nothing.

2. DME validation - the EWS will then separately trade codes w/ the DME to validate that it is the DME it is paired with, and that they are 'in sync'. If it does then it will 'authorize' the DME to start injectors and spark. If not, the engine will crank and no start.

Since you aren't cranking then its either:
    - Problems with the key or transponder antenna
    - Problems with the EWS itself (rare tho not impossible)
    - Problems with the Park signal
    - Something else entirely non-EWS related

With INPA you can read live values in the EWS module and see if its trying to run or why it isn't willing to run the starter. For instance if it can't confirm the key is authorized and transmission Park interlock etc.

Did you mess with the DME / EGS (engine and tranny computers) at all during this job? Hate to say it but its not that hard to mistakenly swap a connector or two between the 2 computers in the e-box. I've even seen a pro screw that up when he was rushing to put a car back together and had a mystery no-start.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Nguyen View Post
    By the way, here's a good PDF explaining how the EWS system operates. You sound have EWS 3. www.e38.org/EWS.pdf

--=Keith
    that pdf was great in helping me understand the entire process i had a general idea but that just confirmed it

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    As DUDMD said before... and as will be documented in that PDF...

EWS immob will go through more or less 2 stages

1. Key transponder validation - if it cannot read a key that is one that's paired and authorized to the the car, it will not crank. If it does, and if it passes a few other minor checks like 'Park' (or clutch-in for OEM USA manual cars) it will crank the starter. If it does not, then it won't crank, silent nothing.

2. DME validation - the EWS will then separately trade codes w/ the DME to validate that it is the DME it is paired with, and that they are 'in sync'. If it does then it will 'authorize' the DME to start injectors and spark. If not, the engine will crank and no start.

Since you aren't cranking then its either:
    - Problems with the key or transponder antenna
    - Problems with the EWS itself (rare tho not impossible)
    - Problems with the Park signal
    - Something else entirely non-EWS related

With INPA you can read live values in the EWS module and see if its trying to run or why it isn't willing to run the starter. For instance if it can't confirm the key is authorized and transmission Park interlock etc.

Did you mess with the DME / EGS (engine and tranny computers) at all during this job? Hate to say it but its not that hard to mistakenly swap a connector or two between the 2 computers in the e-box. I've even seen a pro screw that up when he was rushing to put a car back together and had a mystery no-start.
    i will triple check the wires again once i get to my shop but hopefully it is something that i have once again barely missed once im running inpa on my car it will show me where the fault is ? if there is a fault lets just say such as the park signal and i take care of it will i still have to virginize the system? also does anyone have any good readings of what a healthy m62 should be running in terms of timing and oil temps , coolant temps ive been watching alot videos where people can see pretty much all of their live data i would like to have some good readings for refrence to my own... i feel like i will fall down the rabbit hole and check everything before i ever leave a parking spot haha

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    Got all the new goodies thru the mail this weekend it came with a cd that holds ghe files for inpa but attached is a video of screencap of a video of someone installing the files but in chinese.... and the instructions included arent very clear either it seem as if its missing a couple of the first steps im not sure...

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    Anyone got a link to a comlete inpa download as i cant get the one on the disc to work properly the setup instructions are bad

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Simon, I don't know anything about how to fix your issue. Just wanted to wish you the best of luck and hope it gets sorted soon.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon528i View Post
    Anyone got a link to a comlete inpa download as i cant get the one on the disc to work properly the setup instructions are bad
    Try this:
    https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads

One of their links wouldn't complete for me last week so dunno but worth a try
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '00 BMW ///M5
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...php?t=879366#/

It's a complete tool set that should get you going.

--=Keith
    --=Keith

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yep Mike's Easy is my first choice normally - for some reason I thought that was what didn't work for him though. Maybe I'm confusing w somebody else.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Simon, I don't know anything about how to fix your issue. Just wanted to wish you the best of luck and hope it gets sorted soon.
    Thanks man me to i wanna drive my bimmer already soo bad and all my friends and family bother me constantly everyone wants a ride in jt hahahah

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Try this:
    https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads

One of their links wouldn't complete for me last week so dunno but worth a try
    This and what keith posted is exactly what i was looking for will download tonight and see if can learn them pretty good fingers crossed i come back this weekend with a really good update lol

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    I downloaded mikes easy lastnight and left it to install itself, checked my laptop in the morning and everything was installed and working only thing keft is to change to the usb port com to com 1 and then try it out

My Cars
    '00 BMW ///M5
    I'm curious if you're going to have trouble with the tools communicating outside of the DME since you're using the ADS port... Keep us posted

--=Keith
    --=Keith

My Cars
    98 E39 540i sport
    Ive installed and uninstalled mikes easy 4 times now and every time the drivers for the dcan cable fail hut everything else works fine anyone else have this problem?

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Simon suggest you post up a new thread in Diag forum, the guys there can be very helpful. Be sure to include what details of PC and what you've tried etc. I'm guessing it's related to system rights and admin privileges etc - Micro-douches dumped some undocumented and unfriendly security updates a few months ago that totally screwed w my other Win7 computers by suddenly setting an assload of security restrictions without asking and I'm still tidying up from it - but start a thread.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '00 BMW ///M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon528i View Post
    Ive installed and uninstalled mikes easy 4 times now and every time the drivers for the dcan cable fail hut everything else works fine anyone else have this problem?
    What do you mean by the driver fails? What OS are you running? USB connection?

--=Keith
    --=Keith

My Cars
    98 540i sport
    the driver install fails for the dcan cable , to everyone on this thread this is my new acc as i have lost access to my simon528i acc

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123