Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: M60 dudebros: Underdrive pulleys (VAC discontinued)

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans

M60 dudebros: Underdrive pulleys (VAC discontinued)

Batch 2 final details 9/12/20
    ​This coming week we'll be shipping pulley kits to those who placed deposits, but we also have a lot of stock in the Power Steering pulley due to volume/cost demands. We'll keep the BMW Water Pump pulleys and belts in stock on our website going forward.

Production Update for batch 2, 7/29/20
    The pulleys are now officially in production. We expect them to be ready for anodizing the last week of August, which puts market availability around Labor Day.

Update 7/20/17: Everyone thank user eddycooper for bringing to light the convenient truth of the non-USA water pump pulley P/N 11511733429, $25 from most sources; lighter than the VAC; nearly identical in size; and OEM over-driven! Can't beat that, thanks Eddy!
    Last edited by BleedsBlue; 09-12-2020 at 02:42 PM.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    So stoked! Thanks for posting this bud!

My Cars
    E34 540i6, E46 323i, E36
    I'm in unless they approach the original $300 price tag. Thanks for posting this!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 BMW E34 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoky540i View Post
    I'm in unless they approach the original $300 price tag. Thanks for posting this!

2nd that.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Uhhhh so do I include you two^ or not?

This isn't an attempt to undercut VAC: VAC no longer offers this product. Greg is very generous, but c'mon guys. Dude's spending his valuable time to offer unobtainable fabrication services for our under-supported chassis, and typically has priced things near cost without accounting for his over-engineered design time. In this case, Greg can't even use these pulleys. It's pure community service!

As long as I'm helping him with these threads, I won't accept "I'm in unless it costs as much as XXX's product." That doesn't help Greg count on buyers (which helps to estimate pricing), or really motivate him to spend the time; not to mention, everything he's built so far has undercut aftermarket supplier pricing while striving to outperform or match those overpriced aftermarket parts (like $300 pulleys).

Either wait for a set of VACs to come up for sale second hand; commit to buy these; or stop proving Greg right when he says "E34 guys won't actually buy anything", LOL. Maybe there's only a select few of us willing to pay for his unmatched support, but I hope not
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    M30 E30, 540i6 E34
    In. Thanks to all involved!

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post

This isn't an attempt to undercut VAC: VAC no longer offers this product. Greg is very generous, but c'mon guys. Dude's spending his valuable time to offer unobtainable fabrication services for our under-supported chassis, and typically has priced things near cost without accounting for his over-engineered design time. In this case, Greg can't even use these pulleys. It's pure community service!

As long as I'm helping him with these threads, I won't accept "I'm in unless it costs as much as XXX's product." That doesn't help Greg count on buyers (which helps to estimate pricing), or really motivate him to spend the time; not to mention, everything he's built so far has undercut aftermarket supplier pricing while striving to outperform or match those overpriced aftermarket parts (like $300 pulleys).

Either wait for a set of VACs to come up for sale second hand; commit to buy these; or stop proving Greg right when he says "E34 guys won't actually buy anything", LOL. Maybe there's only a select few of us willing to pay for his unmatched support, but I hope not
    Well put Brent. As an engineer, i 100% appreciate the work that Greg has offered to the community. As stated, do you actually want something that is currently unavailable? I think his m5 surround pricing is spectacular. I can only imagine what he'd charge for these.
    -Alex

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by wannaBMthree View Post
    In. Thanks to all involved!
    Added you to the list, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by AHenry014 View Post
    Well put Brent. As an engineer, i 100% appreciate the work that Greg has offered to the community. As stated, do you actually want something that is currently unavailable? I think his m5 surround pricing is spectacular. I can only imagine what he'd charge for these.
    Thank you for the support, Alex. I certainly get the sentiment--no one likes spending more money, and some may not want to sign up for something without a defined price point. But Greg's historically been more than fair with pricing, and these pullies are fairly simple. I expect they'll be a great buy like his other stuff, and good point: he could charge whatever he wants on some of the NLA stuff, but he doesn't.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38

Added you to the list, thank you.

Thank you for the support, Alex. I certainly get the sentiment--no one likes spending more money, and some may not want to sign up for something without a defined price point. But Greg's historically been more than fair with pricing, and these pullies are fairly simple. I expect they'll be a great buy like his other stuff, and good point: he could charge whatever he wants on some of the NLA stuff, but he doesn't.
    In.

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    I think his m5 surround pricing is spectacular.
    Wait wut? Did those ever get made? I was one of the first to request in that thread. Would still love to get two.

Also, I'm in for at least one set of pulleys.

1. UnrulyGrace
    2. Bleedsblue
    3. wannaBMthree
    4. Sir Montalbon

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Montalbon View Post
    Wait wut? Did those ever get made? I was one of the first to request in that thread. Would still love to get two.

Also, I'm in for at least one set of pulleys.

1. UnrulyGrace
    2. Bleedsblue
    3. wannaBMthree
    4. Sir Montalbon
    Updated ze list. I'll ask about the shift surround, I didn't need one so I have no idea off-hand. I'll update ya.

1. UnrulyGrace
    2. Bleedsblue
    3. wannaBMthree
    4. bigperm206
    5. Sir Montalbon

Woot.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    Updated ze list. I'll ask about the shift surround, I didn't need one so I have no idea off-hand. I'll update ya.

1. UnrulyGrace
    2. Bleedsblue
    3. wannaBMthree
    4. bigperm206
    5. Sir Montalbon

Woot.
    Thanks man. No biggie regarding the shift surrounds, just would have hated to miss the boat on them.

And I'm in 100% agreement regarding price vs time vs availability of these parts Greg is willing to offer us. The proposed shift surround price was good enough to hold me off on trying the eBay Latvian versions I've found. The fact we have anyone willing to make parts like this is a big community asset IMO.

My Cars
    '95 540i/6
    I've already bypassed PS & AC so the only accessories being driven by crank are WP and Alt, but yeah....I'm in.

My Cars
    E34 540i6, E46 323i, E36
    I'm in. Sorry for being non-committal but I have no experience with Greg's work and signing up for something that doesn't have a price just made me nervous. I'm all in now. Thanks!

My Cars
    E34 540i6, E46 323i, E36

I hear you on this. I didn't realize Greg had such a good reputation. Thanks for putting this together and calling me out

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Montalbon View Post
    Good question. I followed the thread and saw he posted a price. Not sure where the project lies now.
    -Alex

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    1. UnrulyGrace
    2. Bleedsblue
    3. Smoky540i
    4. wannaBMthree
    5. bigperm206
    6. Sir Montalbon
    7. Mykk

Quote Originally Posted by Mykk View Post
    I've already bypassed PS & AC so the only accessories being driven by crank are WP and Alt, but yeah....I'm in.
    Rogah.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoky540i View Post
    I hear you on this. I didn't realize Greg had such a good reputation. Thanks for putting this together and calling me out

Cheers man, no worries, thank YOU for understanding and not getting offended. Greg's so busy I feel he needs a little protection sometimes, so I just wanted to set the right tone up front. You're good.

Good question. I followed the thread and saw he posted a price. Not sure where the project lies now.
    I'll update the other thread about this, got the skinny from Greggerson.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    E34sx5
    Sign me up, Brent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    95' 540i6 Supercharged
    95' 540i6 4.7 Stroker
    95' 550i6 M70 Conversion

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by NikosX View Post
    Sign me up, Brent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You got it, Sir Nick. You get the special deal of buying these and having them immediately installed on your car in his garage, LOL.

Hey did you still want an M Tech 2, btw?

Updated list:

1. UnrulyGrace
    2. Bleedsblue
    3. Smoky540i
    4. wannaBMthree
    5. bigperm206
    6. Sir Montalbon
    7. Mykk
    8. NikosX
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    Mr UnrulyGrace has brought to light the fact that VAC discontinued their M60 underdrive pulleys (made of the finest, virgin billet aluminum, costing $300). Our resident nergineer, fabricator of epicness, and likely eventual supplier of all E34 replacement parts and upgrades by the year 2050, 93FIM5 (Greg), is planning to replicate the pulleys (among other ongoing projects, more details to come).

This is the typical case where producing more sets makes it more cost-effective for Greg, and thus cheaper for us, so we want to get a list of committed (not just interested) buyers for a first run of these pulleys. Greg doesn't have costs figured out (and again, the # of sets has bearing on $), but will likely reproduce in aluminum just like the VAC set.

So, add thine user name to this list so we can make it worth Greg's time, and he can get crackin'!

1. UnrulyGrace
    2. Bleedsblue
    3. wannaBMthree
    Just put my VAC pulleys in the mail so that you can get them copied! Keep them safe for me
    1995 540i/6 - TheSmokingTire One Take car

UUC LW flywheel/Carbon Clutch, Dinan 3.64 lsd, e60 shifter, vac pulleys, 23lb injectors, Walbro pump, Vac pulleys, DUDMD tune, 200 cell race cats, muffler delete, poly bushings throughout, custom valed billy sports with HR springs, e31 brembo's, F+R strut bars

My Cars
    Can this be just as easily made with thermoplastic instead of aluminium?

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by tgriffith009 View Post
    Just put my VAC pulleys in the mail so that you can get them copied! Keep them safe for me
    I wasn't going to volunteer your name, but we all owe this guy for sending his VACs to Greg for easier replication!

Quote Originally Posted by flying525 View Post
    Can this be just as easily made with thermoplastic instead of aluminium?
    I have no idea, but that's not on the table at this point.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    I wasn't going to volunteer your name, but we all owe this guy for sending his VACs to Greg for easier replication!I have no idea, but that's not on the table at this point.
    Could you ask greg if he could do that and what the pricing would be ? After all the point of underdrive pulleys is to draw less load from the crank. A lighter pulley does that as well. If you're going halfway you might as well go all the way. And I'm sure a block of plastic can be just as easily drilled out to specs with machinery like aluminum.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by flying525 View Post
    Could you ask greg if he could do that and what the pricing would be ? After all the point of underdrive pulleys is to draw less load from the crank. A lighter pulley does that as well. If you're going halfway you might as well go all the way. And I'm sure a block of plastic can be just as easily drilled out to specs with machinery like aluminum.
    He's going to do an initial batch based on this thread, in aluminum, since it's a known quantity. He's willing to experiment with plastic/nylon/etc, but not at this point due to time constraints (he would want to test a bunch of variables).

Good suggestion, though!
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    Just like he buys the aluminum grade he needs based on its published characteristics for that grade. There must be similarly published characteristics for different types of plastic blocks. Industry people would know. I'm sure he knows them.

I would imagine there is only one thing to test. Whether his equipment for cutting metal precisely can be just as easily used for this thermoplastic. He probably already knows if it will work.

BMW uses thermoplastic for some pulleys so it must work well.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast