Thread: Trunk Open dash warning

My Cars
    2011 X5

Question Trunk Open dash warning

Hi all,

Hoping to get some ideas about and issue that popped up last week. Every time I start the X3 the open truck warning pops up and stays in the warning list with the /!\ indicator. Hard close, light close, it stays on. I manually closed the latch switch with a screw driver and the hatch lights dim and go out as they should. I popped the rubber boots off to see is any wires had frayed (couldn't see any glaring problems) since that was an issue on some of the sedans, and I removed the grounding cable at the top of the hatch and gave it a cleaning with a wire brush. No dice on anything.

Any ideas on what I could try next or how to isolate the problem? Sort of at a loss on this one. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by pezfallout View Post
    Hi all,

Hoping to get some ideas about and issue that popped up last week. Every time I start the X3 the open truck warning pops up and stays in the warning list with the /!\ indicator. Hard close, light close, it stays on. I manually closed the latch switch with a screw driver and the hatch lights dim and go out as they should. I popped the rubber boots off to see is any wires had frayed (couldn't see any glaring problems) since that was an issue on some of the sedans, and I removed the grounding cable at the top of the hatch and gave it a cleaning with a wire brush. No dice on anything.

Any ideas on what I could try next or how to isolate the problem? Sort of at a loss on this one. Thanks in advance!
    Replace the switch and rubber boot, and seal with your choice of silicone. The X3 hatch handle/switch is a known design defect, allowing water and road splash to pummel the underside of the switches housing. As this switch dies, you may start to get other strang electrical issues I. e. locks not functioning properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2011 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by dano1200r View Post
    Replace the switch and rubber boot, and seal with your choice of silicone. The X3 hatch handle/switch is a known design defect, allowing water and road splash to pummel the underside of the switches housing. As this switch dies, you may start to get other strang electrical issues I. e. locks not functioning properly.
    Thank you for your suggestion! The handle on my boot was damaged so I replaced it with a new switch/boot combo and while it feels new as it should the computer still thinks it's open. I pulled the ground on the battery to let everything discharge and reset but I'm not hopeful that it will really make a difference.

If anyone else has any other suggestions I would love to give them a shot!

On a side note, because it thinks the hatch is always open, I can't use my rear wiper/sprayer while driving.