Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Finally a DSP ready head unit, the AVIN Avant-3

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by dillalade View Post
    Has anybody has any experience with [Grom]?
    Yes, several E38 folks here are using this product and seem satisfied.

Another option that was popular for years but now seems to be unavailable is MediaBridge. However, used MBs for BMW appear on eBay regularly.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    2000 E38 450iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Yes, several E38 folks here are using this product and seem satisfied.

Another option that was popular for years but now seems to be unavailable is MediaBridge. However, used MBs for BMW appear on eBay regularly.
    Thank you once again Frankie.

Ordered!

If I can manage to install the Grom myself it will keep me in good shape for a self install down the line. If I decide to waste a $1000 on the Avant in the future.

For now this Grom, 4 in 1 solution via CD port seems ample.

Albeit I'm still waiting for my car to still arrive

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 E38 450iL
    Just an update from Tommy at Avant answering some of my concerns.

Positive response to be fair.

However if they seemingly are repeatedly selling out of these units, I'm curious why there aren't more people like Breaker here that praise the Avant Unit.

Either way it's a valid and valuable response that they can honour a refund if it came to it.

However I'll get hands on with the Grom solution which arrives tomorrow (but I don't even get my car until next week haha).
    Perhaps down the line when I can afford $1000 I'll try the Avant at a later stage.

Thank you everyone for the guidance on this!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    I'm on the fence about this as well. Unlike many, I'm VERY happy with the sound quality of my DSP system. I LOVE it in fact. (Now that I've got the blown speakers replaced at least). My concerns with the GROM solution is Bluetooth has a large hit in audio quality. I can hear the difference. I use the CD changer currently, and my sound is just amazing!

But 1k for a stereo, that's a hard pill to swallow. I might go the way you are. GROM for now, Avant later down the road. I really do want navigation, but my phone does that... so... not truly needed.

But before I drop any more money on my beloved E38, I've got some new mechanical issues to run down. Maybe some day the Avant will get more affordable!
    2001 740iL "Silver Beauty"
    1986 Porsche 951 "Silver Bullet"
    1987 Porsche 944 NA Auto (rebuilding for my son's first car)
    https://home.doonze.net/filepage.php <- BMW/Porsche doc's and files, work in progress

My Cars
    2000 E38 450iL
    Quote Originally Posted by 951Dreams View Post
    I'm on the fence about this as well. Unlike many, I'm VERY happy with the sound quality of my DSP system. I LOVE it in fact. (Now that I've got the blown speakers replaced at least). My concerns with the GROM solution is Bluetooth has a large hit in audio quality. I can hear the difference. I use the CD changer currently, and my sound is just amazing!

But 1k for a stereo, that's a hard pill to swallow. I might go the way you are. GROM for now, Avant later down the road. I really do want navigation, but my phone does that... so... not truly needed.

But before I drop any more money on my beloved E38, I've got some new mechanical issues to run down. Maybe some day the Avant will get more affordable!
    You can always use the Aux cable which will be better then Bluetooth.

Could connect this to the Aux & USB cables of the Grom (to achieve BT 5.0). Worth testing for clarity comparison with the Grom BT option perhaps:

Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter Receiver, SONRU Bluetooth Audio Adapter, aptX HD & aptX LL(Low Latency), Digital Optical TOSLINK, RCA and 3.5mm Audio Cable, Double Pairing, for TV Car Music Streaming Sound System etc https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CZ4C8..._UeKRBbXXM64VB

Received the Grom (took 2 days FedEx.)

My Cars
    2000 E38 450iL
    The front and rear DVR cameras... Can you use any third party camera or are you forced to use the option(s) supplied from Avant only?

My Cars
    2001 E38 740i, 99 750i
    They are just AV ins if I recall so would think anything if I recall
    1999 750i Individual
    2012 F10 M5
    2014 i3

My Cars
    2000 E38 450iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Breaker38 View Post
    They are just AV ins if I recall so would think anything if I recall
    Thanks breaker.

So after all your time with the unit, have you had any issues, anything that doesn't quite work how you'd have expected as such?

Or can you say that simply every function works as long as it's wired correctly?

Do you have DVR and reverse camera in effect, works well?

My Cars
    2001 E38 740i, 99 750i
    Yip everything works fine, I run the reversing camera which is ok quality, you could run another brand it’s just AV inputs.
    all the google aspects make it pretty full proof, streaming music from Bluetooth or via a web server all no issues.
    Apple car play bit of a gimmic for me but works as intended.
    Only issue I have is at boot up where it almost always reboots twice, bit of a pain on short trips but I really use the car for that purpose, would get it again based on the experience to date.
    Ibus interface for me is the thing that pushes it over the line.
    1999 750i Individual
    2012 F10 M5
    2014 i3

My Cars
    2000 E38 450iL
    Yip everything works fine, I run the reversing camera which is ok quality, you could run another brand it’s just AV inputs.
    all the google aspects make it pretty full proof, streaming music from Bluetooth or via a web server all no issues.
    Apple car play bit of a gimmic for me but works as intended.
    Only issue I have is at boot up where it almost always reboots twice, bit of a pain on short trips but I really use the car for that purpose, would get it again based on the experience to date.
    Ibus interface for me is the thing that pushes it over the line.
    Thank you, sounds great.

Regarding reboot twice, have you attempted to perform a factory reset in settings or even better a reset in the recovery perhaps.

Do you have an SD's or USB HDD/Dongles attached to the Avant?These can also be the cause for dual reboot, strictly speaking from an Android point of view it sometimes can cause caching issues. Detache all SD's and/or HDDs and try again. Don't hold me to it, just a suggestion.

Thanks again for the valuable user experience with the Avant.

I need to go and learn ibus, canbus, etc

My Cars
    2001 E38 740i, 99 750i
    Nice suggestions will try it thanks, haven’t to date
    1999 750i Individual
    2012 F10 M5
    2014 i3

My Cars
    2000 E38 450iL
    Nice suggestions will try it thanks, haven’t to date
    Cool

wipe cache and dalvik cache if you manage to get into recovery mode
    Reboot

Failing that repeat the process above but also wipe data partition (note this is same as a factory reset in essence, the device will revert back to new out of the box.)

Last edited by dillalade; 09-30-2018 at 08:24 AM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 750iL
    Hi,

I've been using GROM (I think I have the USB3 with BT and DSP adapters) in my 2001 750iL for a year now, no bigger issues so far. BT audio quality is poor, and mic reception likewise. But other than that it does the job - I have steering wheel controls (that also control phone answering / hanging up), the USB sound quality is very good... The only thing I'd consider Avant for is an even bigger screen than my phone and Apple CarPlay (to use e.g. Google Maps or Messages with a bigger font size). But a 1000$ for that and disputable quality makes me wanna wait for more opinions.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740il
    I am just in the process of installing my Avin unit on my 1998 740il with the DSP. I have audio but only though the front speakers, any ideas on what I can do to remedy that?

My Cars
    2001 E38 740i, 99 750i
    Not I can think off sorry
    1999 750i Individual
    2012 F10 M5
    2014 i3

My Cars
    1998 740il
    Vulkar,
    How is install going now?
    I have the same or similar car. 98 740il, DSP, NAV with a Sept 97 build date. Very interested in your progress and possible advice.
    Black 1998 740IL, DSP, Front Heated Seats, DSP, DSC, NAV, CD, Rear Power Sunshade,
    16x9 Monitor, Nav IV, Staggered M Series Wheels, Facelift Tail Lights...

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740il
    I've been out of town dealing with some family issues, my car has just been in the shop the whole time. I haven't done anything else in terms of the Avin unit. I should be heading to the shop tomorrow and will keep you updated.

My Cars
    1997 740i
    There’s a special price of $499.00 right now!

mine came in on Monday. Will see if I can install this week.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740il
    Ok, finally was able to get the car back and work on it. I installed the Avin unit and it kinda works. For some reason the rear speakers do not work at all while the front ones do. Is there some wire attachment I am missing or is this a purely software issue?

I also cannot seem to get android auto to work. The backup camera is getting power and is attached properly (with the additional cable attached to the brake cable on the main harness) yet does not seem to work at all. On top of all this, my turn signals stopped work after I was fiddling with the settings. I got them working again but now there is no audio indicator for the turn signals when engaged and there is no light up icon on the gauge cluster to show that they are active.

All in all, this unit seems like a lot of trouble for currently no gain.

My Cars
    1997 740i
    Yeah, I’ve heard some people messed up the cars playing with the settings. I plan on limiting it to just the OBC stuff. Any programming will be via INPA and the like. Do you have DSP?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740il
    I do have a DSP in my car. The audio worked perfectly fine prior to the install of the Avin, so its not an issue with the speakers or DSP itself. I'm honestly surprised that they can sell a system for a fair bit of money with little to no instructions for the installation of many of the features.

My Cars
    1997 740i
    Sorry to hear. They know many people have been unhappy and are generally willing to accept returns. Hope you figure it out and I hope I don’t have any issues! TLk to them and let us know what they say?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740il
    I sent their support address this email. Maybe I will get some guidance in regards to these questions. I'll share whatever i hear back on this forum so that if anyone else has similar issues they might be assisted.

To Whom It May Concern,

Looking for some help with getting my unit functional. As it stands, I have been unable to get many features functional or at least function consistently.

1) The turn signals and hazard lights work however the arrows on the dash and the noises that usually accompany their use do not work. I have gone through and changed all the settings in ibus regarding the IKE, however, this has not solved the problem.

2) Rear speakers do not work. I have a DSP system and prior to the install of the Avin unit the speakers worked without issue. However, since the unit was installed, the rear speakers make little to no noise at all. When altering the balance and fade, if the speakers are adjusted to favor the rear no sound will be playing in the car at all.

3) The rear view camera was installed correctly yet I cannot get an image to appear on screen.

4) The SD card of maps I purchased seems to not have data on it. I am also unsure as to where this data is to be read. Is it to be used with google maps?

5) The gauge cluster does show information consistently. It usually only boots to the welcome message I created in the ibus app. However, the message is set to cancel after 7 seconds and it doesn't do so. Trying to us the button on the stalk to cycle through the gauge cluster information screen does not do anything.

6) I cannot for the life of me get the android auto function to work. Is the included white USB dongle just for apple carplay or android auto as well? Additionally, is the port marked USB on the back of the Avin unit the correct place for the wire to attach?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

My Cars
    1997 740i
    Any updates?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740il
    Not much, the support responses have been vague or outright unhelpful. After about two messages they seem to have stopped want to respond to me.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast