Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Alternatives to Run-Flat Tires

My Cars
    2013 BMW 335i M Sport

Question Alternatives to Run-Flat Tires

I have a 2013 335i with the M-Sport package and 19" staggered wheels. The previous owner installed General G-Max non-run-flats on it, and while I have had good luck so far (5,000 miles or so) I had hit rocks on the Cabrillo Highway in my old E46 330iC and had to limp to Monterey on the donut, so I'd like some way to have peace of mind. Yes, I can replace them with OEM Bridgestones, but the scuttlebut is they are noisy, harsh, heavy and not particularly fun to drive on. The Tire Rack sez the new Michelin run-flats are wonderful but they aren't made in 225 & 255 19s. I could buy 18" wheels, but I tried mounting an old 17" wheel from our E46 325iT and it wouldn't go over the big brakes on my car so I suspect 18s wouldn't either. Anyone have experience with the repair kits? Which ones do you recommend? What about 12V compressors?
    Last edited by theomdude; 05-03-2017 at 03:08 AM.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Doesn't the 335 come with 18 inch rims? My 135i did. I spoke with someone at Tire Rack and the new Bridgestone run flats that are coming out are supposed to be incredible - both ride and handing. I would research those, as I'm sure others on this forum may agree.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2006 330xi
    Run flats, if possible, are probably the way to go. Otherwise, your next best option is to buy a single wheel (even from Craigslist or somewhere) and put together a full size spare to carry around endlessly.
    Technically, green slime and a 12v compressor would be a decent panic kit, but that's still not ideal probably.
    Also mine did come with 18s as well with the sport package, your current tires will give you the size as a dead giveaway.
    If 18's won't fit and you can't get run flats, I'd say put together a full size spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2006 330xi
    Wrote all this out and then the app didn't post so anyway!

I know my e90 did come with 18s as the sport package, but if there's any doubt or confusion, the current tires are a dead giveaway.
    If they are 19s and 18s won't fit and you can't get runflats your best bet is probably to buy a single wheel (even from Craigslist or something) and then put together a full size spare. The next best option might be to carry around green slime and a 12v compressor though this isn't a perfect solution. Sometimes the slime is bad for wheels, and you have to rinse it out before it gets all cruddy from what I understand. But it does seem to work very well.
    If you can find runflats that work, that's still the best option. Or at least that's my $.02
    Hope it works out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk