eBMWParts

Thread: 1998 e39 528 M-Tech (option 704) Suspension - New shocks/Struts

My Cars
    e39/s52b32/M-tech mutt

1998 e39 528 M-Tech (option 704) Suspension - New shocks/Struts

OK, thought this was straight forward, started shopping then confused myself... and am going in circles now.

I have a strange car I love, an e39 with an S52 engine transplant.

All appearances and VIN say that this 528 came with the M-Tech suspension package in 1998. So cool, it's already got lowered springs (wouldn't want to go lower), 17" rims, and shocks that though tired now, were once stiffer than standard.

So since my shocks are pretty tired, it's time for some simple Bilstein Sport or similar, so go shopping online and... uh oh... I'm seeing things like 'not for use with M Sport suspension' and 'for M-tech', but not consistently enough to put a matching set of 4 together.

This is not urgent, I just wanted to start researching prices and options (I like BilSports, but can be talked into Koni or others). But when I dug into the specifics of 'not for M-sport' and 'for M-tech'... it started getting confusing because the 540s and 528's apparently had different parts even with the same 704 'M-Tech' package. Is that right? What does 'not for M-Sport mean' when there was no 'M-Sport' to my knowledge... just 'sport', 'M-tech' and later 'M-tech II'?

Am I over complicating this and vanilla Bilsports for a normal suspension 528 will pop in just fine? Should I be buying M5 Struts?

Can any expert just tell me what I should be shopping for at the usual suspects like Pelican, Bav Auto etc? Bilstein Sport-like and will fit fine with factory lowered springs, thicker sway bars etc. on the 'M-technic', not the standard 'sport' package?

Next question; I need bushings too... since my research led me to learning to that M-tech for 528 is different than M-tech for 540... which is different than M5 (528's and my mutt '532' can fit a different steering box than the big 8's can), which is different than 'sport' which is all different from 'standard'... does any of this 'unique to 528 M-Tech package' parts issue affect bushings? Guessing I am pretty well married to that front sway bar too... (not that I mind, it's thicker than stock or 'sport' and in good shape). Just wondering if bushings could be different if sway bars etc. are different.

With any luck, this is simpler than I made it out to be... just started shopping seeing not for... maybe my option... and for... exactly my option.. but rears only... etc. Then I research... and get even more confused...

Help? lol

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    First of all, stick to 6 cylinder specific parts. Your car came with sport package, so I would avoid choices like Sachs or Bilstein Touring /B4. You are left with Bilstein Sport (designed to be used with shorter springs like in your case) and Koni really. Venture out to e39 specific board and see what people say about Bilstein Sport.

Bushings would be stock to 6 cyl car. I believe sway bar bushings may need to be from sport package as it came with slightly thicker sway bar if my memory service me right.

Good luck.

My Cars
    e39/s52b32/M-tech mutt
    I'm not sure if you understood my post. Maybe I need to restate it. I appreciate the reply, but it's not what I was asking.

I am NOT looking for general suspension recommendations like 'try Bilstein Sports'... That is precisely what I am shopping for (although I should look at others like Koni too). At Pelican, I see things like 'for sport package', 'not for M-tech' etc. I can't find a full set of front and rear shocks that I am 100% confident will fit this car... because it's a rare combo of factory options.

3 suspension packages on 2 models of e39... and they are all different (this is how I confused myself after researching this);
    Std. 528
    Std. 540
    528 w/ sport
    540 w/ sport
    528 w/ M-Tech
    540 w/ M-Tech

With me so far? There will be quiz after

Mine is the M-tech option, confirmed by VIN. M-tech is more rare than Sport, and most M-tech went on 540's, not 528's. It's not the same parts for M-tech 540 and M-tech 528. Different axle weights lead to different springs, and different steering boxes lead to different front sway bars. A 528 w M-tech has different parts than other 528's like the Sport or Standard or an E39 M5.

Places like Pelican are listing qualifiers like 'for Sport' 'not for M-tech' etc.

So I am trying to find out what EXACT model of Bilstein Sport (or equivalent Koni etc) that will fit this oddly configured car.

I'm hoping for a link to Pelican, BavAuto or anyone ala 'I've had an e39 with that configuration and these (insert link) will fit'

Also, going to keep the springs, I like the ride height as is actually, and guessing BMW M-tech springs should be pretty sweet springs anyway. But my shocks are tired and I'd like to replace them soon-ish, see how this car can _really_ handle...

(and if the suspension confusion of factory options isn't enough... lol... it's not really a 528... not any more. It had an S52 engine swap, so it has the 3.2 out of an e36 M3... so when shopping anything 'engine', I have to pretend I have an M3, unless it needs to fit the engine compartment specifically, like a CAI, in which case I am back to shopping for a 528... confused yet? lol)

And now for the quiz....

FWIW, part of the reason I am making these posts to is clarify the issue in my own head before I call a parts store or email this as a question to someone selling shocks. I am not entirely sure I understand the issue myself. What would be ideal is someone with experience with some or all of the suspension configurations listed above, and knows what bolts where, and what parts work. My sway bar for example; as far as I know, this sway bar only exists on 528's with the M-Tech package. No other e39 has this exact sway bar. I don't know if that's even a concern... I just know it's something different about this car that could easily impact what model of shock will fit.
    Last edited by voodoochild; 06-02-2017 at 10:19 AM.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Most places will only differentiate Sport vs Non Sport, no suspension manufacturer gets into MSport vs Mtech nitty gritty type of thing, it only becomes relevant if you are ordering from the dealer.

S52 is basically an m52 so you are still shopping for the same weight over the front of the car as a regular 528. 540 and M5 are much heavier with different setup like you pointed out.

My Cars
    e39/s52b32/M-tech mutt
    That's my understanding as well... also, conveniently, and lot of M52 parts bolt right up to an S52... for that matter, calipers and all kinds of parts are swappable. It's fun to play 'BMW Legos' I'm looking to do an M50 intake swap soon...

All of these variations are similar so bolt holes, sizes etc. _should_ be compatible most of the time... but I'd hate to get 1/2 into a suspension job, find that this only fits the 'sports' model, pack it all up, ship it back... etc.

And again, thanks for the replies... I hope the second post didn't sound condescending... I am was restating/rephrasing to verify I'm understanding this correctly, and making sure I can explain this clearly to someone when it comes time to buy my shocks.
    Last edited by voodoochild; 06-02-2017 at 11:34 AM.

My Cars
    e39/s52b32/M-tech mutt
    Addendum... getting closer I think... check the link below

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E39-52...ension/Shocks/

If you scroll down, they actually call out e39, 528, M-Tech specifically. Last grouping on the bottom of page one