Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Justin's 1JZ E46

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more

Justin's 1JZ E46

- - - Updated - - -

But seriously, I am trying to plan this next build out and have no idea where to start as the 1j as well as the companies that make swap parts are all new to me. Things I am pretty sure I want:
    E46 Vert (seriously)
    1jz - VVTI. Not sure if I need front sump or rear or what the model differences are.
    SLR Ultra kit.

That's really it. Looking to be more of a "streetcar" than my LS build. Will still be caged, but trying to keep more of the interior, heater, ETC.

Any advice helps, thanks dudes!

My Cars
    Slow e36
    I'm dropping a 1j in my e36 this summer/fall so I'm in the same boat... currently getting my list together of everything I'll need for it.

You will need a rear sump.
    But the most important question is what transmission are you planning to use?

*PS check out MGSolutions angle kit *

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I already ordered the SLR. Well, I actually ordered a new SLR for my other car and this one will be getting the used one off of it.

Rear sump, good to know. I just read to about the JZX100 as it was drive by wire?

As far as trans, I've got a good condition ZF from my other car, so I figured I'd just get the Collins adapter to use that.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    If you've got too much money, I'll gladly take some off your hands....

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    So, after doing some Ebay browsing it appears the engine I am after does not seem to exist. All of the 1jzgte-vvti single turbo engines are front sump, and the only rear sumps showing up are twin turbo non vvti. It appears Driftmotion sells a sump conversion, but $700 for an oil pan and pickup seems absurd, especially considering the engine is only $1400 to begin with.

I found a what appears to be a nice mount setup made by "v8schassis" on facebook. His kit leaves plenty of room in front for radiator / fans and utilizes the ZF trans with a Collins adapter. He is also looking to to making the shifter relocation kits for the ZF trans.

I am also going to email Wiring Specialties today and get on their wait list for a harness. The chassis I was about to drive to Phoenix to pick up seems to have flaked, so I've got a while to wait.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Why do you want the VVTi? You are doing a turbo setup, right? Very curious about this because I generally like to go with the simple option, so to me it seems like the rear sump, non-VVTi is the winner.

I have recently learned that with 1UZs there is ample reason to go with the VVTi version, but that's probably not directly applicable unless Toyota carried a lot of similarities across platforms.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    VVTI is said to make much better low end power, something I am concerned about coming from a 400tq LS.

Shamelessly stolen from Wiki:
    The third generation of the 1JZ-GTE was introduced around 1996, still as a 2.5-litre turbo, but with Toyota's BEAMS architecture.[2]This included a reworked head, newly developed continuously variable valve timing mechanism (VVT-i), modified water jackets for improved cylinder cooling and newly developed shims with a titanium nitride coating for reduced cam friction.[3] The turbo setup changed from parallel twin turbo (CT12A x2) to a single turbo (CT15B). The single turbo is in part made more efficient by the use of smaller exhaust ports in the head, this allows the escaping exhaust gasses to have more velocity as they exit the head, which in turn, spools the turbo faster and at lower RPM.The adoption of VVT-i and the improved cylinder cooling allowed the compression ratio to be increased from 8.5:1 to 9.0:1. Even though the official power figures remained at 280 PS (206 kW; 276 hp) at 6200 rpm, torque was increased by 20Nm to 379 newton metres (280 lbf·ft) at 2400 rpm. These improvements resulted in increased engine efficiency that reduced fuel consumption by 10%. The adoption of a much higher efficiency single turbocharger than the twins as well as different manifold and exhaust ports were responsible for most of the 50% torque increase at low engine speeds.
    This is also some good reading on the subject:
    https://www.kaizenmotorsports.com/bl...te-vvti-system

I also don't want to mess with converting from a dual to a single turbo.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    98 323
    Man, I wish I had the energy/motivation to do two builds
    Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Rear sumps aren't too difficult to find secondhand.
    All the S-chassis guy use front sumps so often they're cool with trading for a rear sump setup.
    Definitely no need to buy new from Driftmotion.

Xcessive is now making motor/trans mounts, they weren't out when I started my build but I generally like their products
    I got hooked up from Chasebays for the Power steering conversion

Join the "1JZ and 2JZ Powered BMWs" Group on facebook. Plenty of info and builds there.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Rad, I joined the group yesterday, that's where I found the "v8schassis" guy making the mount kits.

I am not a fan of Chasebays, what all did you need for the conversion? Just custom lines made to adapt the JZ pump to the BMW rack?

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    I'll read all this later.
    chiming in to let you know I'm gonna link you on IG to a local (to me) guy who just got a JZ e46 going.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    Rad, I joined the group yesterday, that's where I found the "v8schassis" guy making the mount kits.

I am not a fan of Chasebays, what all did you need for the conversion? Just custom lines made to adapt the JZ pump to the BMW rack?
    They set me up with everything, koyorad cooler, the new baffled reservoir, all the custom AN lines. It was hassle free.
    Haven't seen the v8chassis mounts myself but that's cool if he makes a JZ/ZF option. As for shifter I did the AKG but any chassis mount and cutting down the selector rod seemed easier than modifying the stock shifter. You can weld so you have an advantage over me :p
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    I'll read all this later.
    chiming in to let you know I'm gonna link you on IG to a local (to me) guy who just got a JZ e46 going.
    I'm right here. Check me out on instagram or facebook @cmjdev on either. I've got a pretty solid road map for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    That is some VERY interesting reading on that kaizen motorsports site.
    Yep.. Please don't bash VVTI.. A cam gear and a solenoid is MUCH simpler than a non VVTI twin turbo setup, and makes gobs more useable power. There are no downsides to a VVTI motor until you are trying to make more than 600hp on stock internals.. What experience do you have ? How is it fair that you give that information if you don't have sufficient practice with both power plants?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by cmj317 View Post
    Yep.. Please don't bash VVTI.. What experience do you have ? How is it fair that you give that information if you don't have sufficient practice with both power plants?
    Um, wut? Are you talking to me?

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    I'm right here. Check me out on instagram or facebook @cmjdev on either. I've got a pretty solid road map for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep.. Please don't bash VVTI.. A cam gear and a solenoid is MUCH simpler than a non VVTI twin turbo setup, and makes gobs more useable power. There are no downsides to a VVTI motor until you are trying to make more than 600hp on stock internals.. What experience do you have ? How is it fair that you give that information if you don't have sufficient practice with both power plants?
    Oh word. I didn't know you are on here.

and go easy on Thad. He's a rad dude and just trying to err on the side of simplicity whenever possible.
    hell, he drifts an automatic 328 because it was easier/cheaper than swapping in a ZF.
    dude is a lunatic.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I'm just here so I don't get fined.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Um, wut? Are you talking to me?

Yeah, I don't know why I was so defensive.. lol. I reread what you were saying and remember it being much more than it was.. My bad <3

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    DokB, you sir are FAR too kind!!

Yeah, I don't know why I was so defensive.. lol. I reread what you were saying and remember it being much more than it was.. My bad <3
    No prob! You did have me going for a minute though, because I rarely proof read what I'm posting. Despite knowing what I mean, what I write often doesn't come very close to expressing what I actually meant it to say haha.. So yeah, as far as this thread goes, I'm just here asking questions trying to learn stuff.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Oh great, another one of these threads.....

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    Oh great, another one of these threads.....
    It was inevitable.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Questions for cmj317
    Aren't turbo manifolds more expensive for vvtis?
    Any parts less/more readily available?
    Run into any issues tuning?

I've got two non-vvti 1JZ's going, but maybe next time I'll do vvti.
    I do like that they're single off the bat but I knew I wouldn't be keeping the non-vvti twins so that didn't stop me.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    It was inevitable.
    Currently is a thread about a car and a motor that nobody owns, thread about scar jo > thread about nothing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast