Thread: 2002 BMW 325i diagnostics please help

My Cars
    BMW 325i 2002

2002 BMW 325i diagnostics please help

Ok I was driving at a pretty high speed and hit a sharp turn going about 30 mph and I heard a loud noise so I pulled over and turned the car off after I turned the car off I looked at the rear wheel by the gas tank and the wheel is a lil bent in and when I tried to put the car back in drive the car would not move nothing wrong with engine or anything it's something wrong with that wheel please help

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! Can you describe the sound a bit more? Did it come from under the hood? Any idea what you hit; bending a wheel had to have been a fairly hard hit. I would suggest pulling the codes from the car; it'll give you a good place to start troubleshooting. Lastly, I'm attaching our site's DIY tech articles on the E46 for future reference. Best of luck!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...h_main_e46.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    BMW 325i 2002
    I don't think it has anything to do with the engine it's like a loud grinding knocking when I put the car in drive the rpm works I think the rear wheel is locked up

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Could that loud noise possibly have been caused by you hitting something? When you say that the wheel is bent in a little, do you mean that the wheel is bent or that the wheel is now out of place? If you're hearing a loud grinding/knocking, you broke something. By continuing to try to run it, you may very well have made it worse. After the incident, did you bother to pull the wheel and have a look before you tried to run it? The first thing I'd check is the axle and everything that has anything to do with the axle.

My Cars
    BMW 325i 2002

My Cars
    BMW 325i 2002
    Here is a picture of the problem. https://ibb.co/dUrPOF
    I don't know if that's the axle that's bent/cracked in the picture or is that the control arm that's broken

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Man, honestly, if you can't tell the difference between an axle and a control arm, you should take the car to a shop. It's hard to tell from the pic, but it looks to me like that lower wishbone is bent, judging by the bowed portions. Is it actually touching the shock? I take it that when you put it into drive to produce the "noise," the car won't move. I'm thinking that you've messed a few things up.

Have you gotten around to pulling the wheel yet to actually look at it? I'm really not trying to be rude, but there are many here that would be willing to help you to help yourself. I doubt that anyone is going to swing by your place to do it for you. That grinding could be any number of things. You still haven't told us what you hit or ran over.