Thread: Car ran out of gas, Added gas wont start still.

My Cars
    bmw

Car ran out of gas, Added gas wont start still.

Hello,

My friend was driving back from vegas as I was asleep. I woke up to us running out of gas. Triple A came and added more gas. Enough to put the needle over the second line but NOT half a tank.

When I try to start the car it will not start. The battery is fine and it sounds like its really trying to start but that there is no fuel in the engine.

What I have tried:

- Turning the key to positon 2 frequently.
    - Checking the fuel pump fuse (Not blown)
    - Starting the car while pressing on the gas.

When I turn the key to position 2 and put my ear to the back seat where the fuel pump is I do not hear any noise. Should I always hear something when the key is put to position 2?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: I have one more question when you put the key to position 2 should you ALWAYS hear the fuel pump turn on or is this just what happens sometimes when your car has run low on fuel?

Update: Bought a new fuel pump (BOSCH) and have been watching various videos and saw that the hose clamp may need to be replaced if its factory. Does anyone know what size the clamp is so I can have it purchased just in case. Thanks!

Update: It was indeed the fuel pump. I followed a DIY on here and replaced it. The car is running smoothly now! Many thanks to everyone that helped! I am extremely grateful! The mechanic asked for $600!
    Last edited by TedBundy; 05-31-2017 at 10:31 PM.

My Cars
    bmw
    Hearing its fuel pump what do you think of this? : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Fuel-Pum...1ZH6xs&vxp=mtr

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    The problem with the intank fuel pumps that BMW uses, the fuel has to keep it cool. So if you regularly run under 1/4 tank, you risk overheating the fuel pump depending on where you live. As I notice CA, the more south, the greater the risk for failure. There is a good chance that the fuel pump is burned out, but you will need to test it first. There should be 12V while cranking at the fuel pump, and at the same time, you should hear the pump engaging.
    Last edited by dworthy; 05-30-2017 at 03:48 PM.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Keep priming and cranking. After I changed the fuel filter on my E46 it took an inordinate amount of time spent priming and cranking to get it refired. Air in the lines I guess.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Remove the rear seat. Remove the four screws for the Fuel Pump cover on the passenger side. Turn the key to ON position 2. If you cannot hear the fuel pump whirring and lightly tapping on it has no effect, replace the Fuel Pump.

My Cars
    bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
    Remove the rear seat. Remove the four screws for the Fuel Pump cover on the passenger side. Turn the key to ON position 2. If you cannot hear the fuel pump whirring and lightly tapping on it has no effect, replace the Fuel Pump.
    Thank you sir I appreciate it!

My Cars
    bmw
    I have one more question when you put the key to position 2 should you ALWAYS hear the fuel pump turn on or is this just what happens sometimes when your car has run low on fuel?

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by tedbundy View Post
    ...key to position 2 should you always hear the fuel pump...
    Yes.

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Bang on the right side of the gas tank while someone cranks the car. If it starts the fuel pump failed. This can be done from above if you are by yourself. Remove the rear seat bottom and the fuel pump access panel and tap the top of the fuel pump being careful not to hit the fuel line (plastic nipple can break)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Only momentarily unless cranking or running

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by randy72877 View Post
    Only momentarily unless cranking or running.
    I should have been a little more clear. You are correct and in a sense, so was I. You turn the key to position 2, you should hear the fuel pump whirring but it won't stay whirring unless you continue on to starting the car.

My Cars
    bmw
    Update: Bought a new fuel pump (BOSCH) and have been watching various videos and saw that the hose clamp may need to be replaced if its factory. Does anyone know what size the clamp is so I can have it purchased just in case. Thanks!

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBundy View Post
    The factory clamp cannot be reused - and I used a pair of wire cutters to cut it off. I then used an 18mm from a variety pack of 12 I got at the Dollar Tree.

My Cars
    bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
    The factory clamp cannot be reused - and I used a pair of wire cutters to cut it off. I then used an 18mm from a variety pack of 12 I got at the Dollar Tree.
    Fancy seeing you here! Again thanks bro.

My Cars
    bmw
    Update: It was indeed the fuel pump. I followed a DIY on here and replaced it. The car is running smoothly now! Many thanks to everyone that helped! I am extremely grateful! The mechanic asked for $600!

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBundy View Post
    Excellent! So glad this worked out well.