Thread: Lowering springs z3 coupe

My Cars
    Classic

Lowering springs z3 coupe

Hey Guys.
    I know this is beating a dead horse but I cannot find my answer. Surfed the web four hours over the last week, still no answers to what I am looking for. Currently my car has gaz coilovers in the front and gaz progressive lowering springs in the rear (standard style spring). My rear bottoms out quite a bit and it is driving me nutz. I took the wheels off and increased the dampener on the shocks after raising the ride height 3/4". While down there doing so, i noticed some of the paint was missing on the springs where they collapsed before binding.
    I contacted Gaz and they stated that they usually send out 250lb rated springs in the rear. From that moment on I knew these had to go.

Which rear lowering springs do you guys recommend... Eibach pro kit or H&R sport? I am looking for that 1.25" drop in the rear, if that is too much I do have the perch adjusters to resolve it. I was also reading that the eibach ride much smoother due to the type of steel used for the springs. OR.. Do you guys recommend going to a 2.5" ID spring and use a perch adapter?

Thanks!

My Cars
    99 M3

Lowering springs z3 coupe

Spring rates are really not driven by type of steel in as much as the number of windings, constant or progressive pitch, and wire diameter (and taper.)
    Most springs use the same steel, some might be using a 'patented' small variation of steel for springs.

Raising with ride height adjusters does little for rate.

Have a look at the Koni based kit from Ground Control or TC Kline.

Quote Originally Posted by longlivekel View Post
    <snip> While down there doing so, i noticed some of the paint was missing on the springs where they collapsed before binding.
    The missing paint IS evidence of coil bind. You most likely need a stiffer spring, but want to match dampening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 05-29-2017 at 10:36 PM.

My Cars
    02 E36/8
    mind posting a side shot of your car now.

how much higher from its current setting did you want to go.

i ask because like some of us on here, we run springs with no adjustable spring perch. im running a 6" spring with no adjusters. you may be able to run a linear springs without adjusters, and it might solve your problem.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    I would call TC Kline (http://www.tcklineracing.com/index.cfm?Action=HomePage) and tell them what you would like to achieve and they should be able to tell you what you need to get there.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    Classic
    My goal is close to this look. Currently mine sits lower and is quite harsh in the rear. I want to refine the rear on ride comfort.
    suspension_z3_coupe_hr_sp_lg.jpg
    This pic is from the HR spring reference pic. I am trying to make sure I buy a better spring rate than what I have (yet also lowering) and then figure out what i need to do with the front spring.
    It looks to be a 6" tall spring currently on there. This is close to what I measured when i had it up on jacks.
    Thanks!
    kel

My Cars
    02 E36/8
    thats not low at all. if you have GAZ coilovers, they should come with adjusters... measure the diameter of the adjuster, its usually 60mm or 2.5. either way buy some 6 inch springs from hypercoil, eibach, pac racing, swift, with < 475lb springs. i have a couple of sets of 6 inch springs if you are interested, just shoot me a PM.

My Cars
    Classic
    I have Coilovers in the front and standard lowering springs in the rear. When i get to the front coilovers I will hit you up, as of right now i am trying to sort the rear springs.

My Cars
    02 E36/8
    I was talking about the rear springs.... I have front and rear 6" Springs.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by longlivekel View Post
    I have Coilovers in the front and standard lowering springs in the rear.
    LOL!!! Even the factory struts are of "coil over" design. Are the rears (factory like) beehive design, 60mm/2.25 linear design?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    LOL!!! Even the factory struts are of "coil over" design. Are the rears (factory like) beehive design, 60mm/2.25 linear design?
    -_______-
    They are 2.25 ID LINEAR coil overs for the front and progressive "beehive" in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoO View Post
    I was talking about the rear springs.... I have front and rear 6" Springs.
    From your experience. How do you like the linear spring? What type of adapter or perch are you using?

Thanks,
    Kel
    Last edited by longlivekel; 05-30-2017 at 08:11 AM.

My Cars
    02 E36/8
    6 Inch rear spring, no adjuster. I love how the rear end feels. Started with 475lbs, on 500 now, and I have 600 waiting to go on.

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    6 Inch rear spring, no adjuster. I love how the rear end feels. Started with 475lbs, on 500 now, and I have 600 waiting to go on.
    What make of springs? Hypercoil?

"You don't win silver....you lose gold."

My Cars
    02 E36/8
    Quote Originally Posted by danomite View Post
    What make of springs? Hypercoil?
    i have used, ground control(eibach), hypercoil, and swift springs. currently i am on hypercoil springs.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    H&R cup kit, cant go wrong.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    Classic
    I paid close attention to my suspension feel on the way into work this morning. I live in KC so the roads are complete sH.IT. Every bump in the road was quite jolting. Quite sharp and jolting.. When it hits a hefty bump the spring fully collapses. I do know they fully collapse cause the paint is missing on the spring where it has bound up.
    This is just some info on what I am currently battling.

My Cars
    02 E36/8
    i think your spring is too short, coupled with the fact that its a 250lb spring, causing the coil to fully compress and hitting the bump stops. now California roads arent that great in some areas, but this weekend i was about to go for a drive and i would have to say i was surprised at how well my car felt over smooth roads (i love how coilovers feel), but rough roads..., it was far from ok. i felt this with 475lbs as well, so if you want to avoid this, maybe a 7" 375-400lbs in the rear? again this is just my personal experience, you can always buy some used springs, CL or classifieds here, and try them out. its a bolt on each side to release the lower shock bolt to swap out the spring ( unless you run a short <6 inch spring, and you can change out springs with a single lift of the rear, no tools needed.

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    i think your spring is too short, coupled with the fact that its a 250lb spring, causing the coil to fully compress and hitting the bump stops. now California roads arent that great in some areas, but this weekend i was about to go for a drive and i would have to say i was surprised at how well my car felt over smooth roads (i love how coilovers feel), but rough roads..., it was far from ok. i felt this with 475lbs as well, so if you want to avoid this, maybe a 7" 375-400lbs in the rear? again this is just my personal experience, you can always buy some used springs, CL or classifieds here, and try them out. its a bolt on each side to release the lower shock bolt to swap out the spring ( unless you run a short <6 inch spring, and you can change out springs with a single lift of the rear, no tools needed.
    ZoO,

You mentioned having several sets of rear springs, in varying rates...any chance you'd be willing to help a fellow Coupie out by allowing me to test (and possibly/probably) buy one of the sets? I have a completely one-off Bilstein PSS9 set-up, and I've been wanting to try out some slightly different spring rates and lengths.

Where in Socal are you located? I'm in the LA area.

Cheers

"You don't win silver....you lose gold."

My Cars
    2018 X4 M40i
    I have Ground Control coilovers with Koni inserts, 500# springs on all four corners. Tight ride, but that's how I like it. They are a little noisy (as most coilovers are due to movement), but the control is terrific.
    2018 X4 M40i