Thread: Ticking or clicking coming from the transmission (ZF Trans)

My Cars
    2002 525 Wagon

Ticking or clicking coming from the transmission (ZF Trans)

Since I have owned my car I have noticed an occasionally noticed a clicking or ticking sound coming from my car, especially during cold start up. My car has the ZF transmission. Sometimes it is quite loud lasts for several minutes and then goes away after the car warms up. Sometimes the sound stays after warm up, but is quieter than when the car is cold, yesterday the clicking stayed but would go away when I put the car in gear. Upon placing the car back in park the sound returned. Also I have noticed in regular drive mode the transmission shifts as it should, but when in sport mode it does not shift as it should. It seems to get to third gear and then will not shift up, but if I put it back in regular drive mode it shifts as it should. I'm confused anyone have any ideas?

I guess I should also mention that sometimes the transmission shifts correctly in sport mode.

I have the diagnostic software and OBD cords, just trying to get the OBD port to work (having a communication problem currently).

As always thanks for reading everyone, and also thanks for any information y'all provide.

Travis

Edit: I have been doing some research today and it seems this noise is common. Most people say it's the lifters, but this sound, sounds like it is coming from under the car.
    Last edited by 754; 05-29-2017 at 06:50 PM.