Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nother 62tu 88C thermostat data point

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Oh no no no. Fully AC'd.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mach540 View Post
    I plan on leaving my mechanical fan off after I replace the AUX fan. But I'm also seriously considering a backup puller fan.

Mostly cuz I hate the school bus whooshing.
    Huh. I hardly ever get "jet engine mode". Triple digits and AC and stationary, sure. But seldom otherwise. I'd think it would be scientifically impossible in MN. Can you even operate AC up there without having it freeze up?
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    03 540iA M-Sport
    I no longer have a clutch fan and it makes driving in hot temperatures much better. No more blaring clutch fan noise when driving or thoughts of it grenading itself and the extra power and freer revving engine makes it perfect for a dragstrip run or dyno testing.
    2003 540iA M-Sport - VSM60IM/84MMTB+Flange/4"CAI+MAF DUDMD Tune, Alpina B10V8S TCU Tune, Spal EFC, Gutted Pre Cats, 88C Stat, Alum WPP, Metal Impeller WP, SAPD, M5 MMs, UUC Blk TMs, E53 X5 TABs, Bilstien B8's/Intrax Springs,

My Cars
    540i6 540iT 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach540 View Post
    Mostly cuz I hate the school bus whooshing.
    If the cacophony from the back seats isn't drowning it out, I usually have the tunes blasting.
    When I do hear it, it's comforting to know car's working hard to keep itself cool.
    The infinitely variable (vs set speeds) pusher fan is more odd to my ears anyway

My Cars
    1999 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Oh no no no. Fully AC'd. - - - Updated - - - Huh. I hardly ever get "jet engine mode". Triple digits and AC and stationary, sure. But seldom otherwise. I'd think it would be scientifically impossible in MN. Can you even operate AC up there without having it freeze up?
    I meant the mechanical clutch fan makes the noise. Whether it's cold, hot, or whatever.
    And the AC is required here in the summertime

My Cars
    540i6 540iT 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    I'd think it would be scientifically impossible in MN. Can you even operate AC up there without having it freeze up?
    We know you silly GG
    Southern MN is more great plains than great lakes. Minus the moderating effects of big bodies of water.
    I wouldn't try w/o a/c either.
    Of course up nort u get the state bird ..... the mosquito.

My Cars
    540i6 540iT 318ti
    Two years later, acid testing Bjorn the sedan. It was HOT in this city.
    Been fortunate enough not to get stuck crawling on the highway, uphill, for any period of time. Have had the annoyance of commuting from light to light for ~10 miles in the blazing afternoon.
    A/C cranked for the 1st 5minutes to cool the car off, then backed off to ~70F and 1/3 fan speed.
    Works wonderfully.
    Outside temps in the high 90s, heat index in triple digits. Ktemp off OBC would hover round 94C. Occasionally spiking to 97 waiting at a light, but rock solid for almost an hour.
    Riding in serious comfort here.

This is doubly impressive considering we had a notable loss of coolant overtemp a few months ago. Cooled off, refilled and limped home the last 3/4 of a mile. Yay for crappy gas station swill. Took almost 2 gallons. Crazy that these motors can rock on only 1/2 full. Cracked overflow tank and backed out level sensor noted in the autopsy. Dunno which happened 1st.
    Did have a minor front end collision last fall, but everything seemed fine after. Unfortunately the sensor hasn't worked for a couple years anyway. A monthly in summer and quarterly otherwise manual level check kept up with the pint or so top off needed.
    Replaced tank, sensor, flushed and filled system w/ the good stuff. Hoses still solid since doing pump 5 years ago. I've finally gotten the hang of the clips and while more expensive to replace think they may last longer. Been solid ever since. In retrospect the fact that the system would seem to never fully, fully pressurize for a couple months should have been a clue.
    *shrugs*
    In the interim, the whole fleet* got a GC patented oil flush w/ low viscosity Penzoil conventional to clean out any cooked M1 0-40 before the summer heat really hit.

*Unfortunately Jerry is out with multiple crises, electrical and otherwise.
    Hang up & Drive!
    Jerry .. 85 Toyo MR2 140K .. ( 20V wiring gremlins *grrrr* )
    Björn .. 03 BMW 540i///M 148K .. ( beat up allstar *oof* )
    Gerta .. 03 BMW 540iT&A 151K .. ( chain guide triage *shakes head* )
    Franz .. 96 BMW 318ti 207k .. ( the new, new daily *GRIN* )
    Wendy .. 20 Honda Refrigerator 28k .. ( for the wife and kids, has flappy paddles? *squint* )
    Resistance was Futile...

"Now, it takes me three months just to fix a door lock because .. crying babies" - rammstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12