RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 2004 BMW 525i

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525i

2004 BMW 525i

Left high beam halo doesn't work. I am not getting power from the headlight plug. I did have some bare wires inside the headlight. I repaired those. I have a fault code 9cbc shorted park lamp that I can't seem to reset. Can anyone point me on the correct direction. I have a k-dcan cable and software if needed

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I don't have an E60 in front of me, but I do not recall ever having seen TWO different bulbs for the halos in each light. I recall only one, which feeds both rings. I have seen this bulb misaligned, almost falling out, and therefor not correctly illuminating both halos.

Are you sure that you don't have a different front light that's out, like the top little marker light strip, which would account for your code, and then a loose halo bulb flopping around, not correctly illuminating both rings?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525i
    I have a separate bulb for each halo and a separate wire from each bulb to the plug. The dash says left front park lamp malfunction. I have checked bulbs and wiring, and I am missing a 12v feed at the plug for this halo.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Hmmm, okay, Chad, bear with me. I have your car's wiring diagrams for the headlight units pulled up on my computer. These are from a professional (protected) website, and I can't copy and paste them here.

I do not see two circuits for two halos, so can you please advise what color wires you're looking at, going in to the plug for the headlight units, and which color wire you say has no power?

Also, is there any indication that these headlight units are NOT stock? On the little covers for the bulb access, do you see a BMW roundel emblem anywhere? Is there printing, or raised lettering, on the headlight unit lenses? Any spaghetti-like wiring behind the headlight units?

Lastly, although it shouldn't matter much, please clarify whether we're dealing with a 2004 or 2005. You show one in your details at top right of your posts, but a different one in the title to this thread.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525i
    This is the vin number Wbana53574b849573. Yes they are stock headlights. No spaghetti wiring. Factory slide lock plug on the back of the headlight also. The wiring diagrams I found only showed a single feed also. I even pulled the passenger headlight and it has 2 feeds as well. I will check wiring colors in about an hour. Thanks for helping

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525i
    Ok here are the wire colors. On vehicle side of the harness pin 4 is gray/green stripe for the low beam halo and pin 5 is white/red stripe for the high beam halo. The white/red is not getting 12 volts

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525i
    Ok here are the wire colors on vehicle side of plug. Pin 4 is gray/green which is for low beam halo. Pin 5 is white/red which is for high beam halo. They share brown for a ground. White/red does not have 12 volts

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Okay, can I guess, then, that your car does NOT have Xenons?

White/red shows as powering a "side" light, only on a car without xenons. It comes from pin 62 of X12 connector of the Light Control Module, in the right kick panel. The grey/green comes from pin 25 of the same connector.

I'd have to guess that the connector at the LCM in the kickpanel has a loose pin, or some corrosion at the pin 62. (Have you had an issue with a wet carpet / clogged or leaking sunroof drain on that side?)

If you pull the kickpanel, and unplug the connectors on the LCM, and spray both sides of both plugs with electrical contact cleaner (preferably Wurth Electrical Contact Cleaner Oil), you may find you restore the connection. Otherwise, you should try to probe that wire, at or near the LCM, to see if there's power at that end.

If there is not power at that end, it's quite possible that the LCM has faulted on that circuit, or the pin of the LCM has a broken solder joint....same effect.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525i
    Ok so I have no power on pin 62. I believe the lcm has locked out that circuit. I found the lcm at the left of the steering wheel. I have tool32. Can u tell me the steps to take to reset that circuit? I can't read German and I couldn't find a English version of tool32

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    ISTA, which is BMW's diag computer system will reset all such issues. as should autologic, and many aftermarket diag systems which have BMW specific software which can talk to the LCM, or, in later cars, the Footwell Module. I do not recall E60s requiring the circuit to be "turned back on" like footwell module cars, but...maybe. Resetting should require no more than clearing the codes in the LCM, though, which you said hasn't worked.....which might indicate that the circuit is still truly open.

Though it doesn't confirm a circuit that will withstand load, at least check continuity of the red/white, and also the ground for that plug. Remember that all continuity tests need to be on unpowered circuits.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525i
    The wire continuity tests fine all the way to the bulb. From what I read, the short circuit fault counter has to be Reset. Before the LCM error code can be cleared. Is this correct?

- - - Updated - - -

The LCM has never had water on it. It has a nice layer of clear sealant all over the circuitboard. I even tested continuity from the pin to the circuitboard trace and that test good as well

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    All tool32s are in German, at least the jobs and data.
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=866044

This is a good guide how to reset the angel eye short circuit counter.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Actually, more importantly, what version LCM do you have? It seems each module has different commands for each different version. It's all similar as in that link, but differences may be enough to confuse.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S