Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 1997 M3 4 Door with LS/T56

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mc View Post
    ...Mounts...the big question is AC. I may end up notching the frame rail for AC...not sure how feasible that is. Nonetheless, I think better than moving the steering column/booster. But I'm no expert. Besides the temps in FL are finally window down weather for next 4 months.
    I'm guessing Chuck told you not to expect to fit an LSx compressor between the engine and the frame rail? If that's the case, are you familiar of the New Age Hotrods LSx/318 compressor bracket? It's designed to mount the smaller 318 a/c compressor on the LSx block.

I don't know for sure, but this could be a good solution for you. I'm nearly certain the 318 compressor is more compact than the LSx compressor.

Tipsy

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 11-06-2017 at 09:05 AM.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Tipsy: You made my day. Chuck did not construct his mounts to accommodate AC. He never attempted to fit a compressor so possibly the F body compressor will fit, but if the brake booster on the other side is undisturbed with his layout...I would guess the other side has less room next to the rail.

We will see-AC is a requirement, but my first goal is to get it mobile and not much else. I only get a limited time in the garage before HQ kicks me out for her car. :-)

A pretty bill though...$288!

Thanks for posting!

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    I used the NAH brackets and 318i compressor. I don't see any way the stock compressor would fit without either a big offset to the drivers side or notching the frame.

FYI, you have to swap lines too when using the 318i compressor. I was able to cut, clock, and weld the one steel line but the other line is aluminum and not too expensive. Also, depending on what application the ECU you're using was from, it can either be a scaled output that controls the pump swashplate like on the F-body or a normal on/off output to control a clutch. That can be selected with one of the tuning programs to suit the type of compressor you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    A pretty bill though...$288!
    Swappin' ain't cheap.

Tipsy

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    http://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19155066.html

i was wanting to run the ctsv setup with chucks mounts.... needs 12.5" from the crank center.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by BigL350 View Post
    I used the NAH brackets and 318i compressor...
    The NAH bracket aligns the pulley with the F-Body accessories? And the pulley on the 318 compressor accepts the same belt (as the GM accessories)?

Tipsy

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Roger that. It's an expensive couple pieces of metal but it works. I wound up drilling another hole in the top bracket to bring the compressor closer to the block. Also, I had to switch one of the bolts that mounts the OEM bracket to the block to a socket-head bolt and narrow washer because the original GM, flanged hex-head bolt wouldn't clear the NAH bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Excellent info! I'd imagine the 318 compressor isn't as 'powerful' as the GM model? Size has got to matter in some form, no? Nonetheless, any compressor will make the car usable in the summer months. Thanks!

Did a minor job on the car...replaced the driver's door beauty cover...where the previous owner pried the door open (likely locked his keys in the car) and damaged the cover. It was just annoying every time I noticed it, but very easily replaced.

17 11 11 M3 Door Dents Far

17 11 11 M3 Door Dents Close

17 11 11 M3 Door Dents New Install

Still available new from BMW...pull the weatherstripping back, unscrew the three screws and pops off. Like little victories.

We also finished setting the gaps on all the pistons. I was careful not to grind like I did on the top ring-much softer metal the second go around...another success-all dead on at 019.

Also begun the fun part of cleaning the carbon off the old pistons. With luck, might get to cleaning the block and crank for assembly tomorrow!

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Got a weight on the car finally. 3237 on a certified scale...no people or fuel. Jack/spare intact with no radio or foglights. I'm very interested in the final weight with the L33 installed...hopefully less???
    Interesting! I've been looking for a stock sedan weight for a while, I never had mine weighed before swapping.

Was it a truck stop scale? Those usually seem to be +/- 20lb. Do you have the heated/power front seats? With no spare/jack, no AC, and with 1/8 tank of gas, my swapped 5.0 car on corner scales came in at 3277lb. I'm very interested to see where the aluminum 5.3/T56 combo lands you!

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    It is a new digital readout scale for the local garbage/landfill service. It reads out in increments of 10's. I weigh myself and calculate full tank of fuel (top off'd within 2 miles of the scale). I don't know the allowed variability.

I'm planning a just before and just after weigh in. Only change in addition will be the exhaust-thinking of a single 3 inch with two mufflers based on what others have done.

You get some use out of your M3-appreciate the videos/build thread.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Laminar: I didn't answer all your questions: front seats are currently stock and probably the base model (manual/no heat).

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Laminar: I didn't answer all your questions: front seats are currently stock and probably the base model (manual/no heat).
    Well I'm rolling in the luxury package so I have the power seats. I weighed them on my bathroom scale at 66lbs each. This thread says the stock sedan manual non-heated seats are 50lb each. If I swapped to manual seats, that'd put me at 3245lbs. I think I started with the heaviest possible E36 M3 - luxury package sedan.

Man, I need some racing seats now. And a sunroof delete.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Laminar: coincidently, I just ordered the sunroof delete 'plug' yesterday. I'd like something closer to 3100 as my AWD Subaru sits at that number. A rear wheel drive car ought to be similar, but I'm not going to strip the car.

Got the block cleaned today...little slower working with a new 'helper' so may get to the crank this week:

17 11 12 M3 Block Prep for Clean

17 11 13 M3 Block Cleaning

Wonderful working with an aluminum block...so light and it doesn't rust (except for the bores) post cleaning.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Sedan
    Regarding the A/C, I plan on pursuing something like this: http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_ac.html

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    kt3130: I looked at those, but wondered on the width on top as well as hood clearance. Possibly a backup for my current OEM layout...thanks for posting.

Got the crank cleaned and installed using standard King main bearings...spins freely!

My wash basin...towel on the driveway...

17 11 15 M3 Crank Clean

Love the aluminum!

17 11 15 M3 Bearings Install

Nearly complete:

17 11 15 M3 Crank Install

More parts are showing up...1 Dec is around the corner!

We attempted to take it to local quarter mile dragstrip for a baseline drag time...but assistant had excess homework. We will try again after Thanksgiving...

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    New parts have arrived:

New OEM part to replace dented mustache nose piece...hoping to get painted with bumper, hood, and roof:

17 11 25 M3 Nose Metal

JTR flange and coolant adapter:

17 11 25 M3 JTR Flange and Coolant Adapter

New OEM BMW isolators mounted on Chucks Super Mounts (looks like a slick deal!):

17 11 25 M3 Mounts with Isolators

Finally, ordered a ZHP rack (3 turns) from Rack Doctor. Current one has cracked boots and a healthy leak (1 of 4 under the car):

17 11 25 M3 ZHP Rack

Close up of tag (ZHP / 712):

17 11 25 M3 712 ZHP Rack Tag

Compared to original 227 rack:

17 11 25 M3 Rack Comparison Close

Must say, I doubt my capabilities after spending 5 hours on this job today. Only challenge was the steering coupler that wouldn't come off and went back on even more difficult-bit frustrating!:

17 11 25 M3 New Rack Inwork

Will say popping the out tie rods off were piece of cake with Tipsy's suggestion of a inexpensive tie rod 'puller' from Harbor Freight. Off in seconds with no damage...round filed the original tie rods of course.

Last bit to do before alignment for the front is swap the strut mounts from side to side (actually install my new ones that are sitting in boxes)...then over to get an initial alignment.

Chuck provided an update on the headers...one side is complete and the other may be quickly following. Possibly have them in my hands by first week of December. The images he passed were works of art...
    Last edited by Tim Mc; 11-25-2017 at 10:41 PM.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    ...and coolant adapter...
    Remind me what the coolant adapter is adapting?
    New OEM BMW isolators mounted on Chucks Super Mounts (looks like a slick deal!)...
    Very nice!
    Must say, I doubt my capabilities after spending 5 hours on this job today....
    LOL....I spent two days lying on my back with my head in the footwell trying to remove the fracture bolts that hold the steering column in place. I remember thinking "there's no way I'm giving up!" As with all things, we learn by doing.Tipsy

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Tipsy: Small thread to a large thread...or large thread to a small thread. :-)

Water Temperature Sending Unit Adapter
    Part # BMW-127. Shipping weight, 1 lb

Using the BMW water temperature sending unit in the Chevrolet engine will make the BMW water temperature gauge read accurately.
    The BMW water temperature sending unit has a 14mm x 1.5 thread. Stealth Conversions has a brass adapter (shown above) that accepts the BMW water temperature sending unit, and has a 3/8 pipe thread (NPT) that screws into the Chevrolet heads or intake manifold. If you have an older engine which has 1/2 pipe fittings, a 1/2 to 3/8 brass bushing can be obtained at most plumbing or automotive stores.

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    LS1/LS2 Heads have a metric threads in them for water temp sensor. If you have 96+ m/s52 engine then you can take your BMW temp sensor and just screw it in LS head without any adapters...
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by bimerok View Post
    LS1/LS2 Heads have a metric threads in them for water temp sensor. If you have 96+ m/s52 engine then you can take your BMW temp sensor and just screw it in LS head without any adapters...
    Okay, now I remember. I ordered the (96+) BMW temp sensor with the threads that fit the LS head without the need for an adapter.

Tipsy

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
    http://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19155066.html

i was wanting to run the ctsv setup with chucks mounts.... needs 12.5" from the crank center.

FYI with these mounts it looks like we have 13" to the passenger frame rail. ill have the CTSV kit installed this weekend

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    fallguy: another great option considering all new and all GM. I was hoping it would fit. Thanks for posting.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    fallguy: another great option considering all new and all GM. I was hoping it would fit. Thanks for posting.
    Ill post some pics once i get it installed

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    fallguy: much appreciated!

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Progress: rack finished up with several flushes of the system-nice and clear fluid pumping. Also took it for a quick alignment at local Kauffman Tire-not my preference, but to avoid burning tires before we attack the rear suspension. Of course, they were challenges to follow our request-but better than before. They did remind me of a bent rear lower control arm (I wasn't sure if was to have the curve in it...). So new control arms are on order...will dial the alignment in again once installed (they will allow a revisit-no charge).

The flipped front strut mounts resulted in -3 camber (which is impressive) and they dialed in lots of toe in (.3 total front and rear). Car drives great although the toe and camber may deaden the steering a bit on center. It is noticeably quicker steerings, but far from uncomfortable.

I'm more inclined to install a 8.5 inch DSII wheel up front-plenty of fender clearance!

Also more parts arrived:

Vorshlag ABS relocator:

17 11 30 M3 ABS Relocation

Vorshlag modified PS cooling loop (I've had PS issues on other cars on the track-hoping this will build in a bit of durability):

17 11 30 M3 PS Upgrade

The Chucks Super Headers should be here any day...as will the radiator and bellhousing. Still need to shop the clutch and trans and EFI and...

Dragstrip visit is scheduled for Thursday...goal of 14.5 @ 95 mph!
    Last edited by Tim Mc; 12-03-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast