Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 1997 M3 4 Door with LS/T56

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Tipsy: Your confused because I gave bad data! My standard to metric internal calculator is off. Two trips to Amazon Rubber and Hose company (Tipsy the place to go in Tampa for anything hose - not the internet company!) we thought we were in business - no such luck. All thought it was a defective coupler bought at Autozone, but instead a 'b' nut was the culprit. It happened on two of our installed lines...so likely I overtightened it and flattened the bubble flare. Tipsy - your thread has been a great use to us!

Some dremel mods...not proud, but they are leak free.

Two rounds of manual brake bleed...assistant was invaluable...we have a solid pedal! Quite surprised considering all the air introduced:

Grounding: was able to reuse the BMW OEM ground on the passenger side...connecting to the AC bracket:

Driverside: employed a Painless ground kit...likely will replace with an insulated ground wire like the OEM...alternator mount to sway bar mount (after polishing) - probably not ideal:

Also worked on the alternator 'sensing' wire...used a Painless kit for a CS130 alternator pigtail which included the diode/resistor if not using the dash bulb. We may in the future, but not now...

Complete...not to connect it to a 12v switched wire from the OEM harness...somewhere...:

Then set to install a dedicated clutch master at other's recommendation. Apparently, the Tremecs require routine bleeding maintenance the more stress you put the clutch under. A separate master keeps from contaminating the brake master. We located an inexpensive Tilton reservoir (~$20).

Note fabricated spacer to stand off the firewall:

Spacer cut from...yes a cutting board...we were in Walmart and for 4 bucks...not to mention assistant likes the Dremel:

Location pre hole drill:

At this point, realized we would have to pull the pedals back out to connect the clutch hose to the master (confines too tight) so put off until tomorrow.

We did fill the cooling system with distilled water for the start up. We will drain and refill with antifreeze at that point. Some challenges without current cooling system - only 'cap' is on the European tank connected to the radiator by a small 'bleed' hose. Topping the radiator would require pulling the top radiator hose and filling both the radiator and radiator hose before reconnecting. Not ideal, but seemed to work and the radiator was full to the top 'bleed' hose. May have to revisit (no leaks!)

Tasks left:
    -install clutch master
    -bleed clutch
    -fill trans oil
    -connect alternator sensing wire (once we figure out how to depin the OEM connectors)
    -connect the ECU 12v power wire
    -program the ECU
    -put gas in the tank
    -verify fuel leaks

Likely there are things I'm forgetting and will face challenges with the above...
    Last edited by Tim Mc; 09-09-2018 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Spelling!

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Another productive day:

Tasks left:
    -install clutch master
    -bleed clutch
    -fill trans oil...done.
    -connect alternator sensing wire (once we figure out how to depin the OEM connectors)...done.
    -connect the ECU 12v power wire...done.
    -program the ECU...almost there.
    -put gas in the tank
    -verify fuel leaks

I dislike wiring...had to locate a 12v switched power for the ECU and Alterator...our morning:

Assistant tried his hand at de-pinning...didn't go over so well - little pieces and too much force required...

Nearly done!

Final wire connection...we think!

The Holley software requires some initial setup which I did on my Nova nearly 8 years ago. Little rusty and delayed the starting attempt until tomorrow. Need some fuel as well since we had originally planned to run E85, but plans change...and the tank was emptied in the process.

Will say there were some deep breathes when we applied power to the chassis and again when the ECU came on line. I've melted my share of wires...and let the magic smoke out of the black boxes before...

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Labor Day was the big day...

Add some fresh fuel:

The assistant did the honors...hit the key and some noise erupted from the bonnet of the M3...unfortunately, it was not healthy...sick...like 4 cylinder sick.

We only ran for 15 seconds...end result was fouled plugs on the odd side and fuel wet even side...hmmm. We have a problem...still researching.

We also had 78 psi at the rail...three concerns:

1) verify we hooked the fuel regulator correctly (not backward) - confirmed.

2) replace fuel filter/regulator...possibly defective - complete. Damaged the output adapter fitting during replacement so awaiting Summit delivery...

3) if still not improvement...replace Aeromotive pump with M3 replacement to get fuel pressure under control - parts are on order.

Positives:

Engine ran!, ECU came on-line, alternator charged, no leaks, engine ran!

With the engine challenges we regrouped to address the clutch operation. Pulled the pedal box again to attached the OEM BMW clutch feed hose. Then crammed my hands behind the firewall as well as between the brake booster/fuse box. Many cuts later...a reasonably installed clutch reservoir.

Used the Tick extended bleeder line...that seemed too easy. Didn't seem to get much real clutch throw even though much bubbles came out. Let it sit overnight and now the clutch pedal seems to work, but is extremely light...makes us suspicious...I'd expect an LS7 setup to be firmer...we will see when we try to get into gear...

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Great progress even with some setbacks of misfire.

As for clutch, even LS7 setup feels very light. I remember thinking there is no way it's working when comparing to oem, but it did and still does after few years.
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Congrats on the first start!!

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Woohoo! might not be a perfect idle but happy to hear you got it started... Such a great feeling and it's only gonna get better from here. Excited for you

For the 78psi, I actually get this psi as well when my car starts and idles,When i first got the car running and on stock pump it was around 60psi idle, then I changed it to a walboro 250 and now I get around 78psi... Thought it was an issue but tuner said psi was fine under load, not sure if that's fouling your plugs but mine is fine like that, it dips down once you hit the gas to normal ls1 range.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Great job Tim! Looks like you'll be driving in no time!

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    Congrats! Sounds like only your fuel issue is what's holding it back from being complete?
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    ASM - Slicktop
    My LS3 Build: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...9#post30117299

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Thanks folks!

Disappointment we couldn't drive it last weekend. We will attempt again tomorrow.

Pretty sure we have two separate problems.

Received the fuel filter/regulator adapter fitting tonight...done and turned the key...down to 65 psi under prime (no engine) so believe we dropped to something much more comfortable. Spec is 58 psi. Relieved we won't have to round file our Aeromotive setup...we hope.

The other issue could be as simple as the 2 x ground wires on the rear of the cylinder heads for the Holley HP ignition/coils were lose. They were not tight, but not dangling either. Hoping that is the issue. Otherwise, bad cam sensor or the firing order is off sync with the computer. We will run a system log tomorrow and see where the cam and crank signals fall. We do have a new GM cam sensor available too.

Great to hear on the clutch...but is sure is light. As we bled, we could feel improvement so not like it was never there. It also has 'movement' at the top of the clutch pedal. Cross our fingers. Note T56 Magnums for Chevy applications have a specific measurement that one should do when the TB is installed...many call for a shim to provide full disclutching on the disk. We didn't do that for various reasons (none good).

Otherwise, no issues left. Should be ready to drop on the ground and seat the rings...

I want to run it across the scales too...before and after comparison.

We will see how far we get...

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    More trouble shooting...as our fixes didn't.

Another day of messing around...installing the driver seat, etc. Another set of dead plugs...same result. Then an aha moment...ignition coil wiring flipped on the passenger side. Run to Autozone at 8 PM for another set of plugs...Fired right up!

Fan circuit is blowing fuses so no cooling fan, but we let it warm to 195 (had a floor fan doing its best on the radiator). ECU was doing its learning piece on the fueling...

Another big success was the clutch...we have first gear!

Calling it a night!

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Rechecked coolant hoses for security, pulled one plug (clean / white), and tightened the wheel lugs.

Fired it up and away we went for 15 miles of 55 mph to 40 mph decels to seat the rings and fill the tank. My sidekick was manually pulling fuel in a few areas that HP doesn't address...and it kept running better (kept throttle to less then 40% and revs to under 4000 rpm.)

Smooth idle, healthy midrange, and beautiful V8 soundtrack...very quiet! Very satisfied at the result...car drives exactly as I had hoped.

Still many little nits to address (no cooling fan, replace a few interior pieces, complete the ABS wiring, and possibly the AC), but the car drove without issue.

Shot of the first drive:

First drive complete!:

Still need to tidy the wiring and switch to coolant (straight water currently):

Will post a video momentarily...

Big thanks to all the forum supporters. Really big kudos to Chuck and his Super Tube Headers and Super Mounts...really allow a bolt in install with no vibration with the OEM BMW isolators and no required mods to the brake booster, etc. Never would have guessed one could fit 1 7/8 primary tubes in there...

Will get the car across the scales, dynoed, get a drag strip time (after a few miles) and press into daily driver/Boy Scout taxi services...
    Last edited by Tim Mc; 09-09-2018 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Spelling!

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mc View Post
    First drive complete!
    Congrats!

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    Hell yeah! Congrats!

My Cars
    1998 328I
    hell ya! was hoping I would come back and find the "fired up" post! Congrats man, I too have the LS7 clutch and it's super light, Before I did my first drive i also thought it wans't bleed enough lol. It's almost too easy

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Beautiful!! The V8 manual sedan DD/kid-hauler was totally the vision I had when building my car until I started autocrossing and got a little crazy with it...enjoy it! I'm excited to see where your final weight lands.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Congrats on the first drive!! Looks awesome too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Gents: Thanks. Your threads were instrumental is pointing us the way.

We still have much more, but my assistant is asking to go for a ride so I may have stoked his interest more than expected.

Quick video for proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqXa...ature=youtu.be

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Sounds so quiet until you throttled it and you can hear it rumble! Very cool!!!

What camera are you using for the in car vid? looks crystal clear

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Quote Originally Posted by RulyLSX View Post
    What camera are you using for the in car vid? looks crystal clear
    Based on the reflection at about 28 seconds it is a go pro camera.
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Bimerok has it...Silver Hero 4. It was in a suction cup case so also insulated for the sound. The car is quiet...V8 howl is all.

We haven't driven it since, but hope to take it to Dupont Cars and Coffee this weekend (if we can figure out the cooling fan).

Looking forward to putting some miles on it...around the house initially (I don't trust my work that much!)

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Lol yes I meant what GoPro specifically , thanks !

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Believe we figured out the cooling fan. I pulled the battery to apply power direct to figure out which of the two wires to use (third one is black/ground). The Volvo fan has green for low and red for high...it moves some air!

Went to fire it up and the Holley HP requires I repin a connector for the correct signal. So another day it sits. Believe we are on track - car show departure is 0530 on Saturday in the dark...a bit risky on an unproven auto!

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mc View Post
    Believe we figured out the cooling fan. I pulled the battery to apply power direct to figure out which of the two wires to use (third one is black/ground). The Volvo fan has green for low and red for high...it moves some air!

Went to fire it up and the Holley HP requires I repin a connector for the correct signal. So another day it sits. Believe we are on track - car show departure is 0530 on Saturday in the dark...a bit risky on an unproven auto!
    take that leap of faith. (and a tool kit)
    #adventure
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Success - cooling fan was right from the beginning...I had neglected to follow the directions with the HP programming. On at 210 and off at 200 - perfect.

Decided it was time for an ice cream shop run...family in tow. Ran like a top - still much tuning, but healthy mid-range power and V8 bass. My first impression is too much muffler or not large enough diameter pipe. But then again - nice not waking the neighbors.

Car show tomorrow then fill the tank and put it on the scales.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    More success!

80-mile round trip to Dupont Cars and Coffee in Clearwater - without issue. Cruised along in 6th gear at 80 mph...far more relaxed than the S52.

With a European car...we were directed toward the...shall we say more upscale (?) area amongst the Lambo, Maclaren, P-car, and Ferrari parking. I wonder if we should have been in the American side (with all the hoods open!). Nonetheless, not another single E36 present...so it gained a bit of attention. A common remark I heard was..."LS swap, cheap and easy!" :-)

I proudly displayed a short synopsis of the car with the bottomline - Engine built by the 12-year old assistant! :-)

[url=https://flic.kr/p

Then made our way to a gas station, tanked up fully, and gingerly drove the 3 miles to the digital scales...

3206 pounds (no fuel / no people / no junk)

Original weigh in was 3237 in the same configuration.

To be transparent - we used 6.7 pounds for a gallon of gas * 15.9 gallons.

We are missing an AC compressor, AC lines, condensor, heater hoses, and cruise control module. Might add up to 31 pounds...making the swap almost exactly the same weight as OEM for us.

We still have a sunroof delete panel which will be ~30 pound reduction. Overall a bit disappointed it wasn't more of a weight loss.
    Last edited by Tim Mc; 09-16-2018 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Spelling!

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast