Thread: 1997 M3 4 Door with LS/T56

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Did make use of the weekend:

Engine pull number 6 (45 minutes!):

Allowing us to seal up the tunnel:

Insulate the brake lines (likely overkill):

Lokar throttle cable install:

And most importantly install a European Coolant Tank.

OEM:

Coworker offered to come over and do it and even taught my assistant to run a bead!

Complete prior to cleanup:

Tank install complete-very sano (does anyone say that anymore?)!

This week will be the exhaust as well as the hood, sunroof, bumper, and mustache panel should also return from the paint booth.

And...just got an image of our completed OEM tiller recovered - Wow what a difference. Why not aftermarket? Concern over OEM airbag system compatibility...

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Wow. Steering wheel looks good. Who's doing it for you?
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    1998 328I
    agreed, steering wheel looks so nice!

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    I'm not sure who recovered Tim's wheel but for those who are not aware, eBay seller Tainik does some beautiful work. He's a Russian guy living in Germany.

I bought a Euro wheel from him a while back and picked it up in person since I'm frequently in Germany. Very nice!
    Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 06-25-2018 at 09:33 AM.

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Quote Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
    I'm not sure who recovered Tim's wheel but for those who are not aware, eBay seller Tainik does some beautiful work. He's a Russian guy living in Germany.

I bought a Euro wheel from him a while back and picked it up in person since I'm frequently in Germany. Very nice!

Thank you for the heads up on this, I had originally looked for one but didn't want to order from over seas. I just reached out to him and hope to get one made

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Steering wheel: https://www.drozdupholstery.com/

Very quick turn around. I'd prefer the 3 bar, but didn't research the compatibility...typically lean toward the OEM look. Should receive it this week...but no car to put it on as sitting at the exhaust shop:

Arrival:

Only progress otherwise was the heater delete hose:

Time table is getting short!

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    How much did the steering wheel set you back? I got a quote from a place in TX for $350 for a back to original reupholstering for the S4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    BigL350: Apologies for the delay...life getting in the way. $405 shipped. We added 1/8 foam which was extra cost (believe $40). Expensive...but sure looks the part of a V-8 M3. Anxious to give it a whirl, but the car is still at the exhaust shop!

After a week at the exhaust shop...some progress - completion!

Tacked together:

Welded:

Close up:

Front installed:

Rear muffler:

Lowest clearance:

Tomorrow it comes home for the final stretch: throttle cable, electrical, radiator, clutch hydraulics, EFI, intake manifold...ok another two weeks.

My Cars
    1998 328I
    damn, that's a nicely tucked muffler. I want to take mine in for a custom job as well. Can't wait to hear how yours sounds

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    I guess that price is about right then. It looks like they do top notch work.

Interested to hear how the exhaust sounds too. Nice to see things are moving along.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Ruly: I think the muffler could have be a touch closer, but I didn't have the driveshaft installed and used the heat shield as a reference. Hopefully all is well. The job was $760...and a week at the shop. A bit higher than I would hope and I think I'd move the routing a bit too. But on a bit of a time crunch and no damage came to the car (unlike other shops I've used...)

I would also put more effort into a 3.5 inch system...a low profile center muffler would be the LIMFAC.

Also used AAA for the tows...paid for itself the first time I used it.

Got the car today...looks quite good on the ground.

Commenced on a few actions...

Pulled the carpet after cutting around the centerstack...man it has some serious foam insulation (like an inch thick backing!):

Made my best attempt to Simple Green the stains...lots of soiled water flowed:

Main reason for pulling the carpet (cleaning was second) was to lay a new main power cable...current one is faulty. Also laid a Holley HP power wired back to the battery. Old cable:

Rear carpet...wash rack:

Last week picked up the custom driveshaft...2.75 steel. Gave it a coat of paint...color was what I had in the tool box (looks aluminum!):

Paintwork was accomplished on the sunroof delete piece (no more carbon fiber weave):

Front bumper and new mustache piece:

Also looked at new B pillars...originals are cracked and discolored...nice they are still available from BMW:

Once the carpet is dry...reassembly starts!

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    That thing is going to be MINT when you're done!

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Laminar: it might be mint if we started with a better car. It has a long ways to go, but you are right we are attempting to clean it up...some interior pieces are pretty disgusting.

Today brought success with the steering column fracture bolts (thanks to the forum posts - 10 minute job!):

And a dropped column:

I'd like to replace the column bearings as the turn of the wheels includes a nasty grinding noise. Also have a key antenna to change out...

This might be the real turning point...we are ready to start putting parts back on the car!

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    The slip ring is another source of steering wheel grinds, mine finally disintegrated and bit the dust so I hacked it out.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Laminar: we checked the slip ring and surprisingly good shape. Probably been replaced before.

The steering column bearings were not in good shape - definitely found the source:

I believe this cable connects to the automatic trans start lock out...can it be removed or shall we leave it in place?

I (assist is at Boy Scout Camp!) need help...how to connect the OEM clutch master to the GM clutch slave:

I know Brapp modified the OEM Camaro line to mate to the OEM BMW master...but I'm not sure mine will be able. My master is plastic, when I insert the Camaro line in, it has quite a bit of play unless I push completely - the fastener clip does not line up in that position.

Recall our car was an automatic with no hardline to connect to the master...

We have both a Dorman replacement line as well as a McLeod with the same results. The image does not include the small 'o' ring which does seem to fit snugly if the line had support.

Any points would be appreciated!

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Got about 5 hours on the car today...after doing routine maintenance on the daily driver.

Took two trips to the hardware store...new 'frangible' bolts - steering column reinstalled.

Flaming River steering shaft also installed - that took some doing - very little room with the 1 7/8 headers.

Also got the new driveshaft installed - near perfect length IMO.

Just enough room to insert the transferred splined studs of the JTR flange into the 188 mm diff flange.

Additionally, the 2.75 appeared to be max for Chucks Super Mounts...OEM heatshield required no mods and thus the new exhaust is no impact.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Wanted to also mentioned the heavy walled steel driveshaft (with JTR flange/Spicer trans yoke) weighed in at 18.8 pounds. I have an aluminum 3.5 inch for another car that is 20 inches longer...believe it was just under 11 pounds.

The 3 inch single exhaust with dual mufflers came in at 54.4 pounds...unfortunately I never did weight the OEM system. It was heavy with two folks...heard it was nearly 100. Hopefully we will see a weight loss on this car with the swap...

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Some more time on task...

Carpet finally dried out...been 4 days of fan and even hair dryer to remove all the moisture from the cleaning.

Top:

Bottom was the issue...that 1-2 inch thick foam soaked up some serious water when I was rinsing...took quite a bit of effort to dry it out - yes those stains are as clean as it gets. Likely this was a spilled soda...likely an entire bottle:

Installed...some interior pieces are appearing as well. Much easier to disassemble!:

And the refreshed OEM wheel installed:

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    I was wondering how well the carpet cleaned up. That's a shame, after all of that effort.

If you had time, I'd suggest finding another carpet. But I know you're in a time crunch.
    Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 07-09-2018 at 01:26 PM.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    The new wheel looks great. It may motivate me to finally cough up the change to have mine done.

I feel your pain about the carpet. I had the light tan carpet in my S4 cleaned professionally after I cleaned it myself and I’m still not happy with the results. That and it didn’t sufficiently dry and left a funky odor in the car. I had to cover the floor in baking soda, let it sit for a week, then vacuumed it all up. That seems to have gotten rid of the smell but some stains are still there. I may try ZEP degreaser on them.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Carpet: it certainly wasn't for the effort invested. Likely it has much less odor and we don't cringe when we drop something!

Steering wheel: again no longer bothered to spin the tiller. Looking forward to peering out the windshield without catching one's eye on the foam sticking thru the top of the wheel!

Progress tonight: header gaskets installed. Valley cover and knock sensors along with the LS6 intake (from Australia) temp installed...working on the fuel system.

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Looking sexy as heck,Realy wish I would of spent more time moving the ABS unit on my car, the detail on your engine bay makes me want to rip my engine back out haha

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Ruly: But yours is on the road! One can always detail on the go...impressive effort really.

Progress...Oil level sensor was closer to the head pipe so swapped with a plug (wouldn't employ the sensor anyhow):

Love the push-lok hoses these days - cut one for the crossover on front of manifold:

Was thinking of going under the intake...but can be done later (a bit close to the hot engine parts)

Laying out the EFI wiring...discovered we don't have an MAT or MAP sensor!

And installation of the Vorshlag PS lines:

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    It's already done now, but next time try pressure washing the carpet with the unit hooked up to a hot water source. I bought a retired police cruiser as a daily and the first thing I did was rip out the interior, soak using water and Dawn Soap, let it soak for a few hours, then pressure wash until clean. Much more effective and less tiring than scrubbing by hand.

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    nsogiba: Great point...neighbor has a one and I almost asked to try it. But was pressed a bit for time and Simple Green had worked for others...little concern it might tear apart the 21 year old carpet. It is worlds better than it was...so all in all satisfied with the work. Thanks!

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast