Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 1997 M3 4 Door with LS/T56

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Back from out of town...

Newly painted hood installed...only complete with a new spinner emblem:

Much better:

Hood insulation reinstalled:

Splitter sanded by not one, but two assistants this time (yes took twice as long too):

Front Bumper complete with new black parts:

Assistant attempting to shove the push-lok fuel line on...took a bit of mature coersion - neat stuff, far cry that having SS lines made at a shop a few years ago!:

Getting closer to 'real'...3.91 axle filled with lube:

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    More work today...lots of tweaking of fitment of OEM heat shields, wiring routing, dash reinstallation, etc. No major headway though!

Shot of the painted hood installed:

And the just arrived coolant temperature sensor (AC Delco 213-4514) - 2 pin to fit the Holley HP and 12 mm threads to fit the 799 heads of this 2007 L33.

We did weigh one of the OEM seats (non-power/Vader)...right at 60 pounds.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    More time on task:

As RulyLSX did, used a CXRacing air intake system to at least temporarily get us going. No MAF so a bit shorter install. Would like to install a cold air 'box' eventually.

The aluminum tubing allowed us to mount a GM IAT sensor...with a dab of RTV:

Also finally received the Vorshlag clutch master...metal with a screw on fitting on the end vice the quick disconnect. Of course the threads are not of the same size for the installed clutch line. I'm guessing it is a -3...clutch line is likely a -4. Believe we can locate a male to male adapter.

Clutch master part number for future reference:

Also reworked and completed the fuel line connections. Thanks to Tipsy and Schitzo for the point toward the hose adapter...images will follow.

Also spent some time with the Holley HP wiring, fuel pump relay, and fan relay connections. Believe we understand them all...just need to start cutting and soldering!
    Last edited by Tim Mc; 08-05-2018 at 06:54 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Very clean install on the intake, How are you ditching the MAF, Speed density tune? Also, mine came with a red filter as well which I had to replace with a black one cause the red annoyed me. Here is the black one if you ever need it! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pretty sure you can find the brand at O'reilys if you one near as well.

Let us know how the clutch master works out, I was worried I would run into issues with my stock one but it's been great so far.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    We will likely switch to a larger K+N filter once things get finalized...if it ever does. Will build a heat block off for that corner...just like others have done.

We are awaiting an adapter on the hose to master for the clutch...then finally add hydraulic fluid to the system...I can only guess we will have some leaks with all those connections. I do hope it works!

Your AC install was slick...much cheaper than a Camaro bracket/compressor setup it seems. You make is so easy...we are just thankful for it to run!

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    RulyLSX: Guess I didn't fully answer your question...we are using a Holley HP EFI ECU and wiring. Yes, speed density system...self learning. I've have another car that uses it so somewhat comfortable and gets away from paying a tuner for each modification.

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mc View Post
    RulyLSX: Guess I didn't fully answer your question...we are using a Holley HP EFI ECU and wiring. Yes, speed density system...self learning. I've have another car that uses it so somewhat comfortable and gets away from paying a tuner for each modification.

Very cool, I have heard somewhat of speed density but always thought it required to be tuned during large temperature difference or a tune for winter and tune for summer type of thing. I am going to have to look into that system!

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    No, that’s the density part of speed-density. It compensates for air temperature and pressure changes. The speed part is the mapping of air consumption vs engine speed. Where it has trouble is when modifications change how much air is consumed by the engine. That was before the more sophisticated systems like Tim’s that can auto tune, I’m assuming via wide band o2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Holley HP: more expensive initially, but user adjustable without a tuner/dyno.

Progress today:

#7 spark plug wire is very close to the header - Chuck recommended angle boots...my GM Kit came with straights so see if we can make that work. Nice thermal boots installed:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2a1ZCCR]

A $10 shift boot with a modified OEM retainer plate thanks to the 'Dremel' assistant - works like a champ!:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/27g8s1G]

It was suggested we were missing something...LS6 valley plate with internal PCV...so off it came:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/27g8sB1]

Far cry from Gen I SBC's...intake off in minutes:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2a1ZDFH]

Installation:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2a1ZDbe]

Done:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/27g8sjs]

Wonderful fabrication skills at work...will slide in along with the HP ECU in the OEM space - relay for the fuel pump and one for the Volvo pusher fan in the OEM M3 shroud:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/27g8rGL]

My anxiety was high looking at all the wires...certainly not my speciality/favorite:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2a1ZEat]

Much better...:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/27g8sTo]

5 more connections and should be in business - assistant trying his hand at the low temp welding...:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2a1ZEWt]
    Last edited by Tim Mc; 08-11-2018 at 10:14 PM.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Another fun day:

Continued to clean up and make the wiring connections:

Installed and adjusted the Lokar throttle cable...even prepared the auto car for a third pedal by knocking out the clutch master and hose feed plugs:

Of course I applied metal heat insulation over the holes on the firewall side so...

Also got tired of stepping over the newly painted whisker and bumper...stabbed them on if only temporarily...looks very nice!

We've got more nitnoid parts to order...missing screws, radiator barb for the european coolant tank, PCV lines for an LS6, engine ground straps, etc...

Still need to wire 2 more connections for the ECU (fan and 12v switched power) jump the automatic trans start lock, and figure out the engine alternator/starter electrical system...of course we haven't bled the clutch or the brakes...still waiting for the correct clutch master to clutch line adapter...
    Last edited by Tim Mc; 08-12-2018 at 09:07 PM.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Great progress. FYI, Summit sells wires from Hinson Supercars (Mazda LS Swaps) with 45 degree boots that are high quality and fit great for a reasonable price. I’m running them with what appears to be the exact same wire sleeves that you’ve got. I was hoping to run OEM wires too but it just wasn’t happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Thanks for the suggestion...believe we will have to get a set (really only one) to avoid direct contact. Can only ask so much of the boot protectors...

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Trimmed the OEM ECU cover for an additional wire exit - the main ECU power wires (from the battery) had absolutely no more slack to give so had to break out the dremel again - turned out nice! We will add another black loom of the loose wires below:

Installed our high tech jumper on the automatic trans lock apparatus:

Connecting/ground pin 5 and 7 appears to do the trick:

Complete!:

Few parts came in the mail today...

Radiator barb to connect the European coolant tank:

More nitnoid parts on the way...try to reassemble some of the interior tomorrow...two more weeks!
    Last edited by Tim Mc; 08-15-2018 at 09:15 PM.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Good weekend to sweat it out...lose like 4 pounds a day of water...

Holley Input/Output plug and play harness arrived. I'm a fool for just not buying the connector as:

We removed 7 of 8 wires except one to run the fan. Obviously can add more controls later:

The way an M3 should be...with a manual trans. Notice the shifter is forward so pulls on the boot. Will have to reposition with an adapter to center it fully. Car is in neutral at this time:

Now the wiring is complete (except for alternator/starter...). Added some loom covering to clean it up and avoid shorts!:

Temp installed the heater control valve to see layout - looks like a good location. Others pioneered this - we are skipping the heater right now...:

Top view...plenty of room with some pre-form hoses:

It does look like it was meant to be there:

Getting closer...adding some lubricant:

Assistant built the engine...so he gets to do the honors:

Final results today...on the ground and pushed outside to free up the garage for HQ's use. May be out of town for the week so no more work for a bit (except parts on order!). Will say the refreshed bumper and hood really make the car pop!:

Last edited by Tim Mc; 08-19-2018 at 04:28 PM.

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    Looks great! Can't wait to watch some videos of it running.
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    ASM - Slicktop
    My LS3 Build: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...9#post30117299

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Almost time for burnouts!!

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Something tells me it will be longer than we expect...the devil is in the details.

For those that have been successful in swaps...hat is truly off to you. Much unchartered territory for the average car crafter. I've done frame off restos...but this has been a bigger challenge.

We are at about 100 days since disassembly. Busting our 60 days suspense in grand style....

Appreciate the comments!

My Cars
    1998 328I
    engine bay so sexy looking! What i love reading about your thread is that it literally brings back all the memories from my build hahah. Blue car crew!!

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    Something tells me it will be longer than we expect...the devil is in the details.

For those that have been successful in swaps...hat is truly off to you. Much unchartered territory for the average car crafter. I've done frame off restos...but this has been a bigger challenge.

We are at about 100 days since disassembly. Busting our 60 days suspense in grand style....

Appreciate the comments!
    "Just LS swap it" is a very common saying, mostly by people who haven't done one! So many small issues to overcome when doing one of these.
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    ASM - Slicktop
    My LS3 Build: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...9#post30117299

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0

Appreciate the comments!
    A lot of these things go on for years, you're doing well! I just checked my date stamps and it was 12 days from engine pull to first fire of the new engine, and 81 days until the first test drive (though that does include 28 days I spent out of the country). The little stuff takes forever!

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Laminar: Your build is impressive not only due to your self fabrication, but you put it on the track...a true test of a project. Idling in traffic is nothing like full song in a drift on track. Good stuff!

Pushed the car in to the garage once again...protection from the sun and then the downpours that happy daily in Florida...

Decided to install the Stoptech brake lines in the rear...we've had for nearly a year. We are preparing for a full brake bleed so good time. 3 popped off with no issue (thanks to Florida!). The 4th decided to round. Luckily it was the short one (easily replaceable):

USPS delivered new grills as we were deep involved with the brake lines...so those next (don't scratch the new paint!):

Comparison...looks better in person:

Nice!

Embarrassingly, it took 5 tries to get the correct fitting for the aluminum clutch master to SS braided line to slave...for future reference it is a -4AN to M10 - 1.00 thread pitch:

Others have recommend a dedicated clutch master reservoir for the tremec transmissions...needed to make room so clearanced the OEM fuse box lid:

Assistant did good work:

Converting an auto to manual meant the under panel on the driverside lacks a clutch pedal slot - OEM:

Quick work of the Dremel tool:

End result makes a true driver smile - 3 pedals!:

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Started process of adding brake fluid and power steering fluid to the car...and tightening the leaking fittings...

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Reference the brakes...we put some pressure on the pedal and most of the fluid we added found its way to the floor. Leak...

Took the line to two shops to dissect...one shop clipped the flare and reflared thinking that might be the issue. Upon reinstallation, the 'b' nut again wouldn't tighten to the line. Two visits to Autozone...appears we may have installed 3/16 line b nuts. There is also a 6 mm b nut. Will visit the shop tomorrow again and see if they can help us straighten it out. Possibly worst case - cut the flares, install the 6 mm line b nuts and reflare. Only two lines are impacted on the ABS relocation...

Proceeded to layout the PCV system and plug unused vacuum ports. May install a catch can at a later date, but kept OEM for now.

Also completed the alternator charge wire with a suggested Maxi fuse (70 amp) protection. The wire was supposed to be 8 gauge, but it is a huge 8 gauge. Nonetheless, ran the wire from the alternator to the power distro block on the passenger side.

We keep thinking we are nearly done...but many more details to go...and leaks...goal for the weekend is to make some noise courtesy of 400 HP L33...maybe not drive it though.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    Once you get it fired up the rest of the work will go like butter. Good luck!

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Reference the brakes...we put some pressure on the pedal and most of the fluid we added found its way to the floor. Leak... ...appears we may have installed 3/16 line b nuts. There is also a 6 mm b nut. Will visit the shop tomorrow again and see if they can help us straighten it out. Possibly worst case - cut the flares, install the 6 mm line b nuts and reflare. Only two lines are impacted on the ABS relocation...
    I'm a little confused on your diagnosis. Did you use 3/16" Nicopp for all of the brake lines? I don't think you can physically fit a 3/16" tube nut on 6mm line. And if you used a 6mm tube nut on 3/16" line, I would assume the fit would be very sloppy.

Here's my post on plumbing the rear brake MC feed (ABS pump to MC). I used 1/4" line (6.35mm). This is the only place I did not use 3/16" (4.75mm) line.

Here's a link to the common tube nut sizes available from AGS.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast