Thread: I've made the window work backwards - somehow

My Cars
    1999 323ic e36

I've made the window work backwards - somehow

On my 1999 323i convertible, it started with the driver's window stopping about an inch from the bottom. I've wrenched on many cars, and tackled many window regulators, so I dove in. It looked easy. The rear bracket that connects to the slider had come undone. All the parts were in the bottom of the door. No problem. I reassembled the brackets, checked the window, and it worked up and down, so I put the door panel back on. After that, the window wouldn't work - stuck at the bottom. I tried the electronic reset - no luck. Checking the passenger door, I saw that the bolts for the bracket has to be run from outside to inside. (how?) I removed the regulator so I could access the window, rebuild the read slider correctly, and put it back together. After hours of messing with the whole thing, it is back together, and the window works, except in reverse. To roll it up, I press down. And up to go down. I tried the key reset, to no avail.
    Any ideas? Incantations? Magical spells? Election-reversing hammer blows?

My Cars
    1997 328i Convertible
    Did you take the window motor apart (took out the 2 screws holding the motor to the gear housing)? If the motor is rotated 180 degrees the window will act as you described. I did this a couple years ago but I'm not the only one since there are quite a few threads here and on other forums with the same problem and the fix.
    Hope this helps, it's an easy fix but about an hours work to get it fixed right.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert, 1992 318i
    Yup, the steel cap on the motor housing is rotated 180 degrees, unfortunately it's just hard to get to, but an easy fix
    Caprica Junkie

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Odin Giveth and Odin taketh, all the whirls be upon Odins hands, and may odin bless you my child.

You must open your door cards, take it all off and work on the motor, its real easy but PITA, expect plenty of blood from the sharp steel that will cut you in places, wear long gloves if you can. let us know how you go.
    "So we've come to the conclusion that BMW just has parts laying around they decide to throw on cars for no reason."

Interest on a Very Budget Supercharger Build??

My Cars
    1999 323ic e36
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterM52 View Post
    Odin Giveth and Odin taketh, all the whirls be upon Odins hands, and may odin bless you my child.

You must open your door cards, take it all off and work on the motor, its real easy but PITA, expect plenty of blood from the sharp steel that will cut you in places, wear long gloves if you can. let us know how you go.
    Not too much of a hassle - the door panel was off, and I had re-mounted the assembly with bolts, so I was able to loosen everything and get to the motor housing screws. Flipped it around, and, yes that was the answer. However, after that, the window seemed to be binding going up and down, then the front of the two lower track ball-and-socket fittings popped. Something seems to be stressing, and I'm not sure I want to force it. May be better to pay for an hour of someone knowledgable to align it than for me to cause more problems.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Are you sure the switch is not upside down? Check the window-drop behavior on door-open first. Does the window go up instead of down?
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert, 1992 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingTS View Post
    May be better to pay for an hour of someone knowledgable to align it than for me to cause more problems.
    And where do you plan on finding such a person? Just be methodical and align it all carefully.
    Caprica Junkie

My Cars
    1999 323ic e36
    If I could fit my hands into the various tiny openings, maybe I could spend more time on this. I don't like the way the regulator is working - it's all been lubed but still binding. If I knew what to address, I'd do it. I've done several window regulators over the years (and hated each one) but this one, while I'm sure it is technically superior, is a major PITA. Having to remove the rear slider to properly mount the bracket seems a bit excessive.
    Last edited by vikingTS; 05-30-2017 at 08:23 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Yes, turn the window motor housing by 180°. Simply unbolt the 4 torx bolts, turn the housing, assemble, and it will work fine. The magnets inside are differently poled, therefore it runs the opposite/wrong way.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!