Thread: I put E39 speakers in my doors

My Cars
    2001 740il Highline

I put E39 speakers in my doors

all the speakers in my car are blown. i researched and found that our car door speakers are 4ohm. so I was at the junk yard and I was there to get e38 door speakers. they had some e39's and I pulled the door speakers just to check and they are 4ohm. so for $4 bucks I said let me put them in my car just to see how they would sound, so I took two. I put them is yesterday and they sound great to me. these are the regular hi-fi speakers not the dsp. supposedly the e39 dsp speakers are 8 ohm. so I'm gonna go back to the yard and get two more. for $16 bucks you can't go wrong in my opinio, and they don't have the paper cone which I like. I also have the bsw sub witch is going in today. all I need now is new mid range speakers for the front doors and I'm on the hunt for those from an e38 at the yards. has anyone else tried the regular 4 ohm hi-fi e39 speakers? I think they sound nice.

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    yeah i did this already almost made a thread they do sound OK in the e38 doors and they're much more robust w/o the paper cones on e38 spkrs like u say

My Cars
    2001 740il Highline
    Quote Originally Posted by mooll View Post
    yeah i did this already almost made a thread they do sound OK in the e38 doors and they're much more robust w/o the paper cones on e38 spkrs like u say
    yes! totaly agree they sound fuller right?. Im going to get two more this week and I need to find the midrange tweeters for our cars and I'm good. I put in my bsw sub today and that thing is crazy. I'm glad I tried the e39 speakers tho. with the other two my car is gonna knock hard.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Are you getting DSP or non-DSP speakers? The DSP ones are different and slightly better. Also, one thing I noticed that is different between the e38 and the e39 speakers is that the e38 speaker boxes have standoffs at the 4 screw locations, while the e39 boxes have flat surfaces. This means that it doesn't mount completely sealed and solid to the box if you use e39 speakers on e38 boxes. I found them to be somewhat hollow when doing this as a test in Brandon's car. Either cut down the standoffs and see if they can fit the box depth, or add something to make them seal better. Or, better yet, grab 4 4ohm Monsoons for about $20 from a VW and do the same shaving off of the standoffs and make the hole a bit bigger and get much better sound. Seal the Monsoons with hot glue or silicone.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2001 740il Highline
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Are you getting DSP or non-DSP speakers? The DSP ones are different and slightly better. Also, one thing I noticed that is different between the e38 and the e39 speakers is that the e38 speaker boxes have standoffs at the 4 screw locations, while the e39 boxes have flat surfaces. This means that it doesn't mount completely sealed and solid to the box if you use e39 speakers on e38 boxes. I found them to be somewhat hollow when doing this as a test in Brandon's car. Either cut down the standoffs and see if they can fit the box depth, or add something to make them seal better. Or, better yet, grab 4 4ohm Monsoons for about $20 from a VW and do the same shaving off of the standoffs and make the hole a bit bigger and get much better sound. Seal the Monsoons with hot glue or silicone.
    I used the non-dsp because in my research I found the dsp e39 speakers to be 8 ohm. I had no problem putting them in the e38 door box. I took one from a 03 530 and a 01 528. regular hi-fi both part numbers are the same.
    Last edited by JamesBondBimmer; 05-30-2017 at 01:08 PM.