Thread: leaky engine bay on the m3... so frustrating.... need some input

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.

leaky engine bay on the m3... so frustrating.... need some input

So when the car sits outside and it rains (worse when it is parked slightly uphill on my driveway), cylinders 5 + 6 fill up with water and obviously misfire. So every day that it rains, I have to remove the coils, blow out the water, then put everything back - it pretty much rains every day here. Obviously, its not as bad when I am running the engine cover, but it still occurs. The car is a s52 swap, but has a an obdi valve cover. I have searched all over, but cannot find the leak. I would assume that its coming from the area around the center wiper arm assembly, but cannot pinpoint it. The cowl and all of the seals in the engine bay are in great shape, so this is driving me bonkers at the moment. Thanks for any help and suggestions.
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    I have no idea how that's possible...
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    I think you should be more concerned with how the water is getting into your cylinders than how the water is getting past your hood...

Or is it not actually getting into your cylinders and just pooling around the coils on top of the spark plugs?

Summer Daily -- '99 E36 M3 'vert 5MT
    Current Project -- '97 E36 328is Coupe 5MT

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerELITE View Post
    I think you should be more concerned with how the water is getting into your cylinders than how the water is getting past your hood...

Or is it not actually getting into your cylinders and just pooling around the coils on top of the spark plugs?
    I'm sure that's what he means.

Also check the windshield cowl and hood seal. It's the only place where it's going to come from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ()()===[][]===()()

My Cars
    BMW M3
    How water is getting into the coils to cause a problem?
    About how it is getting into engine compartment you might want to update have you replaced the hood recently?

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    I'm trying to grasp the significance of the photo of a torque wrench on the windshield wiper stud.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    About how it is getting into engine compartment you might want to update have you replaced the hood recently?
    Huh?

()()===[][]===()()

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    i would look around the intake manifold.. i bet your gaskets are shot
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Run the cover. e36s do that ... our race car would suck in the rain, always got misfire in major downpours. Put the cover on, no issues.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJordanWhitte View Post
    I have no idea how that's possible...
    sweet. thanks for the helpful contribution.

... the water isn't in the cylinders of the block... They are filling the chambers in the head where the coilpack and sparkplug are...

Quote Originally Posted by mitch500 View Post
    I'm sure that's what he means.

Also check the windshield cowl and hood seal. It's the only place where it's going to come from.

Like I said in the OP, the hood seals and cowl are in great shape. No condensation or anything to show that the water is coming in from there. That's why I am baffled. Is it possible to leak out of the wire harness contraption in the center of the cowl that houses the wiper motor?

Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    Water in the coil/spark plug chamber causes misfires. so the cylinders don't have combustion when the chamber is filled with water. No, the hood has not been replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    I'm trying to grasp the significance of the photo of a torque wrench on the windshield wiper stud.
    It was the best photo online that I could reference the center section of the cowl.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch500 View Post
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by TH3 Shifty View Post
    i would look around the intake manifold.. i bet your gaskets are shot
    ugh,... it is leaking into the sparkplug/coil chambers., it has nothing to do with the intake manifold gaskets.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    Run the cover. e36s do that ... our race car would suck in the rain, always got misfire in major downpours. Put the cover on, no issues.
    LIke I said in the OP, the cover does HELP a lot, but even with the cover on, I get the same symptoms/problem (only to a much lesser degree) under heavy rain. Still have to remove the cover, and the coils to blow out the water, so that's why I have been running without a cover.
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    There's there's 2 screws that hold the wiring harness plastic box thing to the removable firewall piece. Take the grating off and tighten / seal those up. Water can get by them, leak around onto the cover and the. Down the mounting bolts to the VC.

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Theres a rubber seal that goes around the oil filler neck that you might be missing.

#14 on this image:
    MzI5MzlfcA==.png

PN is 11127526447

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    Now that we all understand you're not talking about your actual cylinders... I would try to re-create the problem with a bucket or a hose and try to track down how it's getting in there.

I still don't understand how it's physically possible for water to travel over the valve cover to get in that spot.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
    Theres a rubber seal that goes around the oil filler neck that you might be missing.

#14 on this image:
    MzI5MzlfcA==.png

PN is 11127526447
    Yes, and I remember that being a PITA to get back in place and seated properly when I had to replace my plugs recently. It could easily have fallen out and been forgotten when the cover was previously removed.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
    There's there's 2 screws that hold the wiring harness plastic box thing to the removable firewall piece. Take the grating off and tighten / seal those up. Water can get by them, leak around onto the cover and the. Down the mounting bolts to the VC.

Thanks. I will look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post

#14 on this image:
    MzI5MzlfcA==.png

PN is 11127526447
    thanks. Still have that rubber seal present. maybe I should buy a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJordanWhitte View Post
    Now that we all understand you're not talking about your actual cylinders... I would try to re-create the problem with a bucket or a hose and try to track down how it's getting in there.

I still don't understand how it's physically possible for water to travel over the valve cover to get in that spot.
    Dude,... if the actual cylinder was filled with water, the engine would be hydrolocked and Id have broken valves or bent rods... also, removing the coils would not remedy that situation. Use just 0.00001% common sense here. And yes, its driving me crazy. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    Yes, and I remember that being a PITA to get back in place and seated properly when I had to replace my plugs recently. It could easily have fallen out and been forgotten when the cover was previously
    removed.
    the seal is still there, but maybe its been deformed over the years. I will see if a new one helps the situation. thanks.
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by m3j0n View Post
    Dude,... if the actual cylinder was filled with water, the engine would be hydrolocked and Id have broken valves or bent rods... also, removing the coils would not remedy that situation. Use just 0.00001% common sense here.
    When you say "cylinders 5 + 6 fill up with water" I assume that means that cylinders 5 and 6 fill up with water. lol Don't blame us for the confusion.

My Cars
    99 M3

leaky engine bay on the m3... so frustrating.... need some input

Is this a Coupe? Vents along aft edge of hood? Liner on inner side of hood? Any tears or penetrations?

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    The "water in the cylinders" response is not helpful.
    The OP describes how he remedies the misfire.

Understand that water does not compress.

m

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    When you say "cylinders 5 + 6 fill up with water" I assume that means that cylinders 5 and 6 fill up with water. lol Don't blame us for the confusion.

Thanks for the continued helpful posts. so done debating this with you - spark plug tubes of cylinder 5 + 6. Obviously common sense eludes you and you choose only to quote part of my post...

Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    Is this a Coupe? Vents along aft edge of hood? Liner on inner side of hood? Any tears or penetrations?

yup, 95 e36 m3 coupe. checked the seals and liners thoroughly. No tears or penetrations. No signs of water intrusion at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mmark. View Post
    The "water in the cylinders" response is not helpful.
    The OP describes how he remedies the misfire.

Understand that water does not compress.

m
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 06-02-2017 at 01:54 PM. Reason: offensive
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    98M3/4/5 SpeedMiata
    Apparently "isturning over a new leaf" isn't accurate. I've never witnessed a post from you that doesn't degenerate into you being extremely combative. Quickly. Your for sale threads I've stumbled upon are epic, and tragic....
    Current:
    98 M3/4/5 Alpine/Magma
    05 MazdaSpeed Miata

Sold:

00 Honda VFR
    99 528iT M/T
    98 M3/4/5 Arctic/Dove
    94 R-package Miata
    89 Honda NT650

87 325is turned SpecE30

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Oddly enough jon, your old car did the same thing on 5 and 6, but it was due to the slots in the hood. Trashbag over the engine when it gets washed is the only thing that keeps the water out. I had the hardest time trying to figure out why the #5 spark plug was rusted when I pulled it out. Check the screws that were mentioned up above, also make sure that the seals up top are in place real good and not rotted somewhere. You might try pulling your wipers and that whole cowl to see if you can really see where its coming from.
    1995 M3...Screwed

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex36 View Post
    Apparently "isturning over a new leaf" isn't accurate. I've never witnessed a post from you that doesn't degenerate into you being extremely combative. Quickly. Your for sale threads I've stumbled upon are epic, and tragic....
    cool. thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jab31169 View Post
    Oddly enough jon, your old car did the same thing on 5 and 6, but it was due to the slots in the hood. Trashbag over the engine when it gets washed is the only thing that keeps the water out. I had the hardest time trying to figure out why the #5 spark plug was rusted when I pulled it out. Check the screws that were mentioned up above, also make sure that the seals up top are in place real good and not rotted somewhere. You might try pulling your wipers and that whole cowl to see if you can really see where its coming from.
    yeah, that car has a vorstiener vented hood, although, I rarely had that car in the rain, nor was it ever parked outside, so I never experienced a problem with that. yeah, I am going to do that as soon as I get a free second. Thanks. Hope all is well!
    -M3J0N