Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wiper chatter on just the drivers side?

My Cars
    1989 535i

Wiper chatter on just the drivers side?

So since I'm on a roll of fixing long overdue things, next up is the driver side wiper blade which has chattered ever since I bought the car. I've changed the wiper refills twice but yet it still remains and I suspect it's due to pressure. My guess would be the wiper tension motor since when turning the car on or off I can see the wiper arm press against the windshield. The problem though I suspect is that it's putting way too much pressure on it and causing it to just chatter across and do a terrible job at wiping away water.

Has anyone fixed this? I know it's a common problem but I haven't seen any solutions for when it's the motor doing it. I've considered removing the fuse for the wiper tension motor since it's separate to the wiper motors but I've no idea if that could mess something up. Anyone know what I can do?

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    You could adjust the tension with that set screw in the middle. I've done that without removing the fuse and it seems to work just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Also have you twisting the arm to make the blade perpendicular to the windshield?
    demet

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    I have resolved chattering problems by using a clay bar on the windshield. If you're not satisfied with wiper operation after making other adjustments try it.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by demetk View Post
    You could adjust the tension with that set screw in the middle. I've done that without removing the fuse and it seems to work just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Also have you twisting the arm to make the blade perpendicular to the windshield?
    Which one? There's one that's on the side and one that's on the very top. I've examined the arm and it looks fine to me and seems to be well line up.

Quote Originally Posted by GregT53 View Post
    I have resolved chattering problems by using a clay bar on the windshield. If you're not satisfied with wiper operation after making other adjustments try it.
    I'll try out that idea. I've never heard of using a clay bar on a windshield, I only knew of it for paint work. Do I use the same bar as I would for paint detailing?

For the moment I've pulled the fuse and the motor is off. I took it for a test drive and sprayed the windshield for a while and so far it's improved dramatically but there's still slight chatter. At least it shows it was probably the tension motor but since some chatter remains I'll try clay bar too. Has anyone had experience with Rain X? I've heard that can help smooth things out a little too.

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    Yes, just like for paint.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by CarterH View Post
    Which one? There's one that's on the side and one that's on the very top. I've examined the arm and it looks fine to me and seems to be well line up.

The set screw on top. Adjust the arm tension so it's similar to the pass side.
    demet

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I made a nice instruction here
    chattering windshield wipers? How to fix http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/292534/
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    This is really great information; thanks shogun.

My Cars
    BMW
    This just started happening to me too recently. Just gotta find an old protractor to cut up.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Another cause of chattering and streaking wipers is the arm not pivoting freely. Lubricating and working the pivot near the mounting hub sometimes does wonders to correct the tension on the blade.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Another cause of chattering and streaking wipers is the arm not pivoting freely. Lubricating and working the pivot near the mounting hub sometimes does wonders to correct the tension on the blade.
    Pivot binding is especially a problem on the rear glass wiper of X series vehicles. Those mechanisms get so stiff that it will cause the entire rubber element to miss the glass. No chatter, very quiet, but no water removed from the glass! Wonder if the single blade wipers seen on MB vehicles, and a few Bimmers, are less finicky. I'll say it again: an annual clay bar glass cleaning works wonders for smooth wiper operation.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    The clay bar sounds like a good idea. My method for a grungy glass has always been lacquer thinner and OOOO steel wool, followed Rain-X. Perhaps a little aggressive.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1989 535i
    As a follow up to this, I've applied two coats of Rain X and removed the fuse for the pressure control and the chatter has completely stopped. So it was without a doubt a tension issue but since it's all fine, I'll leave it be. But if I experience the chatter again then I'll look at shoguns adjustment guide.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Interesting! I had written off my chatter a while ago to loose arm connections (you know, the ones down in Mordor under everything), but my Touring has the pressure control. Which fuse? I should try pulling it. Both arms do have a lot of slop, but this may help in the interim before I tear down under the cowl to address the arm slop.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    Interesting! I had written off my chatter a while ago to loose arm connections (you know, the ones down in Mordor under everything), but my Touring has the pressure control. Which fuse? I should try pulling it. Both arms do have a lot of slop, but this may help in the interim before I tear down under the cowl to address the arm slop.
    I'm not sure if the fuses vary by model but mine was #22 called "wiper pressure control" in the fuse box under the hood. I was glad that the wiper motors themselves were a separate fuse otherwise I'd have had to figure out a different method. I highly recommend giving it a try since it worked a treat for me.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Just pull the ADM relay under rear seat ADM = Anpress Druck Motor (wiper pressure motor), color is black http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/elec.../rearseat.html

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Just pull the ADM relay under rear seat ADM = Anpress Druck Motor (wiper pressure motor), color is black http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/elec.../rearseat.html
    This doesn't sound the typical solutions you offer, sir.
    I don't have this feature on any of my cars but am curious about to correct the problem should it ever present itself to me.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    This refered to the question which fuse to pull, so if he does not know which fuse to pull, the ADM relay he will find for sure and pulling it has the same effect ;-)
    ....my Touring has the pressure control. Which fuse? I should try pulling it. Both arms do have a lot of slop, but this may help in the interim before I tear down under the cowl to address the arm slop.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    No suprises, but I'm going through wiper dramas of my own.
    I'm getting a clay bar and rainx tomorrow, but wondering about the wiper arms themselves.
    First, to double check, these cars use 22" wipers on the left and 24" wipers on the right? Everywhere I look there's only those options but mine has 22" on both sides.
    Second, blog.bavauto says:
    The E34 chassis wiper blade attachment is basically a standard “J” hook style, as shown in the DIY video mentioned above. One minor difference is that the driver side uses an upside-down (or inverted) ”J” for early production models (through 12/89). The wiper attachment clip works just as with other “J” hook applications (including the passenger side on the E34) …. it’s just oriented differently. Models produced from 01/90-on have the standard “J” hooks (not inverted).
    I don't have an 88-89 e34, but I'm not following this part though:
    * Due to the early driver’s side inverted “J” hook design, and the low-profile arm-to-blade design of the driver side wiper (for all years), the E34 chassis models can only use specific BMW wiper blades on the driver’s side. Therefore, the blades must be replaced with full BMW blades or the BMW rubber blade inserts. Attempting to use a universal blade on the driver’s side will result in binding and an improper fit.
    , which may be why I'm/we are having a problem.

Was looking at throwing some blades/heads on my next order from the US, but they'll probably be awkward/expensive to ship, so right now looking at cheap local replacements from tridon or whatever for $15ea and give them a go first.

I'll try shoguns arm twisting method though, I've got one of those adjustable square/angle things so I wouldn't even need to cut something up.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    I just tried a regular wiper arm that was supposed to fit on the Right hand side. Everything is wrong with everything.
    1. it's reverse j hook like the early models
    2. It's oem bmw and it's 22"
    3. the pivot point is below the wiper arm, due to reverse hook, so the wiper can swivel above the arm

On pelican parts they have this: http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Inf...M78&SVSVSI=324
    as the wiper for the left. I need that wiper for the right. Every wiper I look for the right is not the correct type.
    realoem say I need part number 6168217714
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Inf...SVSVSI=324.htm

But I want to have a good look at a photo, find out the length, and maybe find a cheaper equivalent is the first link for a left wiper the one I actually need for the right?
    If not, I'm confused as that wiper wouldn't work on the left (I tried swapping mine around and it doesn't work, the left just needs a regular wiper with the swivel behind, not one with an offset swivel point below the blade

For the left hand side any conventional 22" will do, but so many listings for 24". A 24" is way too long but I tried a generic 22" and it doesn't have enough pressure or curve around the screen. Realoem is only giving me the right side numbers even when I click through all the wiper blade left unless it's 61618217706 but I'm not sure of that at all

Last edited by fo3; 06-08-2017 at 03:42 AM.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    It seems it's back to chattering unfortunately so I'm getting a little frustrated since it's starting to leave scratches on the glass. I'm not sure which screw would adjust it since there's one on the very top and then one on the side. I'm a little afraid of undoing the wrong one and ending up with my wiper coming off or something else unexpected, but I can't find a picture guide anywhere for adjusting the pressure, not even in a service manual.

It's bizarre that it's just the drivers side too. The passenger side works perfectly.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Quote Originally Posted by CarterH View Post
    It seems it's back to chattering unfortunately so I'm getting a little frustrated since it's starting to leave scratches on the glass. I'm not sure which screw would adjust it since there's one on the very top and then one on the side. I'm a little afraid of undoing the wrong one and ending up with my wiper coming off or something else unexpected, but I can't find a picture guide anywhere for adjusting the pressure, not even in a service manual.

It's bizarre that it's just the drivers side too. The passenger side works perfectly.
    The drivers side is completely different though, it's a reverse hook with an extra plastic fitting so extra pivot problems someone else already mentioned. Did you try a clay bar? E: I know you mentioned trying rain-x

One thing I haven't mentioned about my car was it seemed to have attracted a parked like a d!ck council or tow sticker on the windshield sometime in it's past. It only became evident to me after cold frosty mornings when the water and frost would be different in a neat little rectangle where the sticker used to be. Scraping or using solvents would not get rid of it, every morning the same ghost from the past annoying me.
    I clay barred the windshield and applied rain-x which got rid of that and well as making the wipers work better (still haven't found the right arms to buy or any adjustments possible myself...)
    Last edited by fo3; 07-14-2017 at 04:31 AM.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    I haven't clay barred yet but Rain X seems to help to a certain point. The chatter seems to be affected by speed since the wiper chatters badly when stopped, then improves slightly at 60km and is then pretty smooth at 80km, so it seems to look like it's down to the tension more than anything else. The arm itself also doesn't look bent as far as I can tell either.

I think finding a replacement arm would be pretty expensive since I think it needs a genuine BMW arm for the drivers side.

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    Have you checked the angle of the arm relative to the windshield? It may have been mentioned already as I believe Shogun posted a nice link on how to check. I did my own and found the angle to be slightly off, causing a skipped area on the glass.

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    The wiper contact angle thing is real. Correcting it completely fixed my chattering problems - my driver's side arm was out by a few degrees. It's hard to twist the wipers without putting pressure on the mechanism, but it's doable. I didn't cut up a protractor - I just made the same template with a piece of cereal box. It only takes two minutes to check that angle...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast