Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BMW really screwing up parts prices for old cars...

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW540san View Post
    It'd be nice if somebody with right tooling would make and sell V8 / I6 engine undertray in aluminum or maybe some other suitable metal / material. Enough buyers would probably be able to push the price bellow $200 which is less than current plastic piece.
    Someone in the e39 M5 FB group sells skidplates. They're decent and priced reasonably, at least way cheaper than the $500 belly pan.

My Cars
    2000 Dinan S2 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    Plastic belly pans are the work of the devil. Just run without one, like all the cars that came before ours.

Seriously though, if I went any lower I'd want a nice aluminum skid plate.
    What I've noticed on my E39 M5T after installing a new CSR aluminum radiator the oil temp is a hair cooler, never above 210 and running without the belly pans. I put back all the belly pans and pork chops, and oil temp went over 210. The timeframe was within a week. All cooling parts and fluids are new. The belly pans trap heat very effectively.

A skid plate would be a nice alternative especially if it has louvers to channel air into engine bay.

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2018 Macan Turb
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Oh what many of those German cars are actually made in the US now!? Confusing fact. Too complicated. Reject.

Uhoh. Better not continue this topic.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. I didn't go into the whole list of bumper parts but clearly it's be a $3000 project to do a full dealer M bumper project these days.
    The BMW plant here in SC pumps out a steady stream of cars for export. Course the plant is owned by the Germans. Still lots of US jobs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    PCA HPDE Instructor
    current:
    2004 M3 convert 6sp man - low mileage beauty!

past:
    1995 BMW M3 3.2
    2004 M3 convert SMG
    2003 BMW 540i6 Alpine White M sport (I want her back!)

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    BMW has also revived the "value-line" parts kits for some consumable parts (like suspension bits)...if you look up the 11 digit part number for these items and/or check your local BMW dealership's parts dept...the pricing may be comparable with aftermarket pricing in that you may get some surrounding bits/parts included in the value line kit.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    E39 535i
    You should see the dealer prices for the parts over this side of the pond.
    I can pay full retail in the USA PLUS shipping and still come out under half the local dealership price.

Absinthe makes the tart grow fonder

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Schmiedmann sells the belly splash guard for about $300.
    Last edited by gmak; 05-29-2017 at 07:40 AM.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Quote Originally Posted by StRaNgEdAyS View Post
    You should see the dealer prices for the parts over this side of the pond.
    I can pay full retail in the USA PLUS shipping and still come out under half the local dealership price.

Isn't everything in the southern hemisphere expensive? Kidding. Mostly
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    540i6 540iT 318ti
    GG, I understand the frustration. But like many have said, at least they're available. Plus they fit like they should the 1st time.
    I remember getting some caliper sliders from PepBoyz when I was in a hurry doin the ex 3er .... never again.

Also lets keep in mind the issue of overall inflation. The effects of Moore's Law do not apply to car parts, it's a pretty mature market.
    There are exceptions. A bottle of Rosemount Shiraz has been $10 for almost 2 decades. *shrugs*
    Last edited by paul p; 05-29-2017 at 02:53 AM.
    Hang up & Drive!
    Jerry .. 85 Toyo MR2 140K .. ( 20V wiring gremlins *grrrr* )
    Björn .. 03 BMW 540i///M 148K .. ( beat up allstar *oof* )
    Gerta .. 03 BMW 540iT&A 151K .. ( chain guide triage *shakes head* )
    Franz .. 96 BMW 318ti 207k .. ( the new, new daily *GRIN* )
    Wendy .. 20 Honda Refrigerator 28k .. ( for the wife and kids, has flappy paddles? *squint* )
    Resistance was Futile...

"Now, it takes me three months just to fix a door lock because .. crying babies" - rammstein

My Cars
    E39 535i
    It pretty much is.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonaudi View Post
    The BMW plant here in SC pumps out a steady stream of cars for export. Course the plant is owned by the Germans. Still lots of US jobs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    70% of BMW vehicles made in the USA are exported. 50% of Mercedes, IIRC.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    70% of BMW vehicles made in the USA are exported. 50% of Mercedes, IIRC.
    The wonders of the SUV...

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I find some of those prices listed incredulous. $400 for an under tray? really? Aftermarket is $50 all day, pretty tough part to F up too.
    If new parts runs are done BMW must have some expectation of selling them so need to be competitive, at least to a degree.
    Part of the issue is anything that can be construed as crash parts, those insurance companies are obliged to pay for. Another factor is lots of parts sit on the shelf for a long time before(if ever)being sold. Kind of like a trip to the hardware store for a single odd fastener that by all rights should cost pennies but is priced in dollars because it has sitting on the shelf waiting for a buyer. I hate paying for that stuff but am glad to have found it too.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I find some of those prices listed incredulous. $400 for an under tray? really? Aftermarket is $50 all day, pretty tough part to F up too.
    If new parts runs are done BMW must have some expectation of selling them so need to be competitive, at least to a degree.
    Part of the issue is anything that can be construed as crash parts, those insurance companies are obliged to pay for. Another factor is lots of parts sit on the shelf for a long time before(if ever)being sold. Kind of like a trip to the hardware store for a single odd fastener that by all rights should cost pennies but is priced in dollars because it has sitting on the shelf waiting for a buyer. I hate paying for that stuff but am glad to have found it too.
    Very true. Many parts are made only during the production run and when they run out, become "no longer available" (NLA). I understand that parts prices go up if they are remaking them for a limited market...we sometimes have to be happy they are even available for a car that is 14 years old for the newest E39.
    Fortunately most of the big hits are on trim pieces...most of the "consumable" items are still available at reasonable prices...or the third party manufacturers (and remanufacturers) have developed options.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by M5 Jed View Post
    What I've noticed on my E39 M5T after installing a new CSR aluminum radiator the oil temp is a hair cooler, never above 210 and running without the belly pans. I put back all the belly pans and pork chops, and oil temp went over 210. The timeframe was within a week. All cooling parts and fluids are new. The belly pans trap heat very effectively.

A skid plate would be a nice alternative especially if it has louvers to channel air into engine bay.
    I'm curious about your temps. Brian with his M5T also has temps around 210 or slightly above, with all the M5 bumpers, belly pans, transmission pan, etc (M-Sport originally), but in his M5 sedan and my converted M5 sedan with 530i bumpers, I almost never even hit 210F, even on hot days. I wonder if it's a touring thing, but seems unusual since everything from the front of the car forward is the same.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by M5 Jed View Post
    Super interesting Jed. I know other cars where the opposite happens aka the belly pan serves a positive airflow / cooling function and without it the various radiators dont work properly - or at least optimally. For a host of reasons including that I think it's I'll advised to run without one but your findings are interesting and surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by paul p View Post
    GG, I understand the frustration. But like many have said, at least they're available. Plus they fit like they should the 1st time.
    I remember getting some caliper sliders from PepBoyz when I was in a hurry doin the ex 3er .... never again.

Also lets keep in mind the issue of overall inflation. The effects of Moore's Law do not apply to car parts, it's a pretty mature market.
    There are exceptions. A bottle of Rosemount Shiraz has been $10 for almost 2 decades. *shrugs*
    With due respect - Meh... Sorry Paul, not entirely.

Neither small run economics, nor inflation account for some of these 600% gouges. Trust me I'm the last guy to bitch about a slightly higher price for the truly good proper part.. I am fine with a part going up in price for natural reasons, and within reason.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12