Thread: 1983 BMW e21 Alternator problems

My Cars
    1983 BMW e21 320i

Question 1983 BMW e21 Alternator problems

I have been having alternator problems since I bought my bmw about a year ago. Since, I have been through 2 alternators (currently on my third) and have little to no resources on installation guides or manuals of any sort.

I recently purchased a new adjusting bar and idler (the toothed nut thing) and have no idea how to install them.

Doing all the work myself is difficult when there are no references to work with.
    If anybody has pictures or an in depth installation guide for this exact model (similar tutorials don't seem to help in my case) I would be quite grateful.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    check here https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/
    also the drawings on www.realoem.com help
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    I cannot help with the bracket..

Make certain the alternator ground strap is in good condition, clean and tight. This ground strap needs to be the same or bigger gauge than the charge wire.

Have your alternators been coming with new voltage regulators, or have you been using the same old one?

Is the alternator crooked after it's installed? If it's way crooked, you need to replace the mount bushings or go with a 'solid' mount alternator (this requires some fabrication).

welcome to the madness!
    Tbd

My Cars
    1983 BMW e21 320i
    The cables are in decent condition. They are the factory cables, though the rubber on the positive connection has since fallen off. The new alternators came with new voltage regulators. There was something wrong with the one in the second alternator. That's irrelevant now because I bought a BMW rebuilt alternator with a factory installed voltage regulator. So I'm all good in that department (hopefully). I just can't for the life of me find anything for the bracket. I've seen the picture from the BMW parts website which has the diagram and part numbers, but even that is indescript in how the bracket is supposed to be attached.

My Cars
    1983 BMW e21 320i
    I really do appreciate you finding me these, but unfortunately I have exhausted any help they could provide. They just aren't quite what I'm looking for. The photos on the repair manual are over exposed and don't show what I'm looking for and the parts website doesn't have a diagram I haven't seen yet. Again, I appreciate the help, but not quite what I'm looking for.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Maybe google
    e21 alternator bracket
    and look at the images. I noticed a couple familiar pics, maybe they will help?

I don't have an adjustable bracket on my '78, but I'm sure somebody here does, that can try to help you.
    Tbd

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

I installed alternator bracket.. Its really handy to adjust belt tension, looks and works good too.

"The diagram for e21's-US or North Amercian Version-which is what I have- dont show the carriage bolt or saucer head bolt sitting permanently in the adjustment nut by square projection fit, I seen e21 -Japan Version diagram and this bolt or screw was shown going thru it, the pieces came together putting the pictures together ,researching,lol." link below

Look here lots of info: Parts and BMW Numbers, Pictures ect.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...nator-Hardware

Questions about Alternator or Alternator Bracket ?

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 05-30-2017 at 07:45 PM.

My Cars
    1983 320I, 1986 325E
    If you keep having issues with BMW alternators, a GM CS-130 fits with some modification and has a nice increase in power output. I recently tried installing a cs-144, but it was just too big. 140a would have been nice though.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Heres a 90 amp alternator tested out at 92 amps, rebuild from standard Bosch,,no mods needed, bolt in and good to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-BOSCH-AL...i895_g&vxp=mtr

I'm running 100 Amp alternator new rebuild from standard Bosch, no mods needed, difference between 65 amp (standard) 80 amp(I have this too) and 100 Amp is significant-currently installed.

The 80 and 100 Amp alternator I have were rebuilt by father and son, the above link is the brothers shop been on ebay a long time, the father has 50 yrs of experience with Lucas Certificate in rebuilding starters and alternators....The son I got the 80 and 100AMP alternator from went out of business due to a partner screwing things up. Several here got 100 amp when it was available I paid $100 each for 80 and 100 Amp alternators. These folks are in your neck of the woods SoCal.

I upgraded the Big 6( all OFC-Oxygen Free Copper Stranded wire-the best there is) and the voltage at the battery once the 100 amp alternator kicks on is 14.6V-charging thats tops as good as it gets.

I made the big 6 ofc cables myself with copper tinned lugs( used a lug punch tool to secure lug to ofc wire) and using marine grade heat shrink with sealer(use heat gun-will see the sealer ooze out around the lug and cable-sealed), so that both ends have no exposed wires and the whole cable is sealed from air( oxidation), oil, water, and so forth--the only way to do cables-the best- for starter,battery, alternator and body grounds.

Dont buy cables that are stranded copper-these are all copper clad aluminum--look for OFC stenciled on the cable insulation--ofc is oxygen free copper wire-the best there is for $1 or so more per foot.

Your all welcome.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 05-31-2017 at 11:25 AM.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Randy- just curious, why do you recommend the copper-clad aluminum wire over stranded copper? What advantage does it have other than cost?

My Cars
    1983 320I, 1986 325E
    Quote Originally Posted by cgifool View Post
    Randy- just curious, why do you recommend the copper-clad aluminum wire over stranded copper? What advantage does it have other than cost?
    There is no advantage. CCA is not worth buying. Go full OFC (oxygen free copper) or dont get anything at all. Sky High Car Audio has very reasonable prices on OFC wire.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by cgifool View Post
    I think he meant to type "Dont buy cables that are standard copper".
    Tbd