Thread: where do the trans lines go ?

My Cars
    2000 740IL

where do the trans lines go ?

i bought a 1998 540 that had leaky trans lines and so story is previous owner guy started to repair em by cutting the leaky rubber sections out up by the rad and he just lost interest in the car eventually and it sat and so now i bought it cheap.
    there are 4 cut ends of pipe-- the two pictured and the two corresponding lines further down where the other end of old .leaky rubber was cut off. i've repaired two of them already using new 1/2" rubber trans cooler hose and clamps. i also flared all the ends up on both of the cut pipes with flare tool. hoping this will be good enough and prevent hose from blowing off??
    now problem is i dont know where the ends that are pictured here go. does long one with black thing go on top or bottom of the cooler connection by rad or top? can some one snap some pics maybe of there 540 trans cooler lines where they go into the cooler by the rad? i couldnt find any pics anywhere and i dont have my e38 to check. anyone with a 540 here can help me out easily.

also will this repair work for the trans cooler lines? some say yes some say no...what do the knowledgeable ppl on here think? i wouldnt want the lines blowing off later. new lines are like $350 this fix was around ten bucks. again i just flared the end of the cut tranny lines pipe and then put new tranny cooler line in with clamps.
    thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Well. My go to on this kinda situation is to hit up a local industrial/truck hose shop. With the Audis I used to run, the oem hoses were kinda special then went NLA, so we basically figured out how to spec them for shops to rebuild using factory ends. The bmw lines would be easy to rebuild I'm sure.

Where in "new england" exactly? I got a place I use but "new england" could be Northern Kingdom Vermont or could be Greenwich CT.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Well. My go to on this kinda situation is to hit up a local industrial/truck hose shop. With the Audis I used to run, the oem hoses were kinda special then went NLA, so we basically figured out how to spec them for shops to rebuild using factory ends. The bmw lines would be easy to rebuild I'm sure.

Where in "new england" exactly? I got a place I use but "new england" could be Northern Kingdom Vermont or could be Greenwich CT.
    thing is im hoping to do thisquick and easy /cheap. this car may be a part out i just wanna hook trans lines up to test condition of trans. so im hoping to get away with the clampsand flares. im right around the same area of mass as you.
    i still really need to know where these lines go if some onecould just take a peak under their hood for me

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Here you go. The longer one is on top. This is in a 2000 540i looking from above.

20170527 Tranny hoses at rad.jpg
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by mooll View Post
    thing is im hoping to do thisquick and easy /cheap. this car may be a part out i just wanna hook trans lines up to test condition of trans. so im hoping to get away with the clampsand flares. im right around the same area of mass as you.
    i still really need to know where these lines go if some onecould just take a peak under their hood for me
    Well in that case yeah sure this should work fine. And if you want to get something proper made - JPM Hose in Lowell is decent and should be pretty cheap for something like that.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    Here you go. The longer one is on top. This is in a 2000 540i looking from above.

100% sure those are the trans cooler lines and not the p/s lines? thep/s lines go right above the trans lines and i cant tell from ur pic

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Seems like you have the less-common early 'true stand alone trans cooler' up front. Most cars have the later style heat exchanger with coolant flowing through it. So most guys are going to have something that looks like this instead:

According to the REALOEM picture (sometimes trustworthy, sometimes is just an 'abstract general, not how actual parts work') yours should be...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    are slow
    The car has a HP24 right, it's supposedly a 98?

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    yeah so that pic wont help geargrinder. thx tho

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    The car has a HP24 right, it's supposedly a 98?
    btw what's ur opinion on the tranny line repair tho with the clampsand new rubber hose and the flaring... curious what u think too . last thing i want is the line(s) blowing off

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    this is what i was gonna do
    2 clamps on one cooler end 3 on the other, and then 4 clamps on each of the other ends

- - - Updated - - -

also i will be flaring the cut ends
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1999 540i
    I've done similar repairs on other vehicles, no prob.
    I wouldn't think there is a whole lot of pressure there. It should just be fluid being returned to the sump via the cooler.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    yeah so that pic wont help geargrinder. thx tho
    Uh. Wrong. Did you even read the text?

I posted 2 pix. You either have one. Or the other. Can't be neither.

You insist it's got connections at the radiator. In which case it's the parts diagram. I posted the pic to say "most are like this yours must not be". Which I actually said.

If it is the latter exchanger style then it's indeed like the picture and not like the diagram, but then you are wrong about it having any connections at the radiator.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    Uh. Wrong. Did you even read the text?

I posted 2 pix. You either have one. Or the other. Can't be neither.

You insist it's got connections at the radiator. In which case it's the parts diagram. I posted the pic to say "most are like this yours must not be". Which I actually said.

If it is the latter exchanger style then it's indeed like the picture and not like the diagram, but then you are wrong about it having any connections at the radiator.
    uh..yeah , i did. it's just that why you posted those pics went over my head for a second. i already said it was a 1998 and had the rad connections andNO exchanger so i wasnt really sure why you were still asking. also i meant that u had posted a pic of the 5hp30 and the lines going from that to the cooler are different from what i have in this 540 -- the the 5hp24 -- so that photo does nothing as far as helping me know where the lines connect up which is what im looking for now. i get now tho why you posted those pics and i appreciate the help but i DID say its a 1998 and so therefore there's no exchanger.
    Last edited by mooll; 05-27-2017 at 02:19 PM.

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post

i also just realized you had said this was A 2000. for some reason i thought i was looking at a 1998 lol

- - - Updated - - -

bump tho i really need to find out where these lines go so i dont get em hooked up wrong lmao

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    uh..yeah , i did
    Uh no you didn't.

i already said it was a 1998 and had the rad connections andNO exchanger so i wasnt really sure why you were still asking.
    Cuz if you did you'd have read:
    Seems like you have the less-common early 'true stand alone trans cooler' up front. Most cars have the later style heat exchanger with coolant flowing through it. So most guys are going to have something that looks like this instead:

Explaining very clearly why I posted that pic.

also i meant that u had posted a pic of the 5hp30 and the lines going from that to the cooler are different from what i have in this 540 --
    OK. So. First of all, I also explained exactly what I posted and that those pix indeed are generic and may or may not be useful, so again, your ragging on my pix trying to help you again demonstrates your poor reading comprehension.

According to the REALOEM picture (sometimes trustworthy, sometimes is just an 'abstract general, not how actual parts work') yours should be...

HOWEVER, Yes. Which is indeed in trying to help you, I DID look up a 1998 and that IS the pic that's provided INDEED FOR THE 5HP24 but the early 'until 9/1998' version. That is the exactly proper page and pic for the car which you are speaking of. And I suspect it's actually pretty accurate if you don't just randomly decide that somehow I'm posting up random crap. So.

Voila.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=17_0106

So. Enjoy. GG out, and you on Ignore List! Wee! Happy Mem Day.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    Uh no you didn't.

Cuz if you did you'd have read:
    Explaining very clearly why I posted that pic.

OK. So. First of all, I also explained exactly what I posted and that those pix indeed are generic and may or may not be useful, so again, your ragging on my pix trying to help you again demonstrates your poor reading comprehension.

HOWEVER, Yes. Which is indeed in trying to help you, I DID look up a 1998 and that IS the pic that's provided INDEED FOR THE 5HP24 but the early 'until 9/1998' version. That is the exactly proper page and pic for the car which you are speaking of. And I suspect it's actually pretty accurate if you don't just randomly decide that somehow I'm posting up random crap. So.

Voila.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=17_0106

So. Enjoy. GG out, and you on Ignore List! Wee! Happy Mem Day.
    sad. you/ this is pathetic for a public forum where some one is just trying to get some help. there's a correct way to help some one here and then there's your way...
    but, yeah, you've got some problems guy. it's not like i would ever message you anyway? so..yeah! you go ahead and add me to your ignore list ( if that makes you feel better) ...simply because i misunderstood your post? OK. you look like a fool here bud. you are not right all of the time. no one is...i don't understand why no one over here puts you on a leash, you are extremely rude for absolutely no reason at all to people like me just looking for some help. seen it time and time again here. anyway, i am sorry you got so hurt and offended that i read your post wrong / too fast, but i did correct my self and my points still remain the same.
    again , i corrected my self and said for one i blew threw your post the first time and later on got why you posted those photos. i was doing other things / have other things going on and just read it too fast. that in no way means i have " poor reading comprehension" because again i misunderstood your post on this ONE thread this ONE time. but thanks for the insult.
    i was just looking for some help bro on where the lines go, lol. and again i appreciate you trying but seriously .... calm your self... i dont even know why you ( or anyone...really ) would act like this / try and argue instead of HELPING me over something so insignificant on a public forum where people come for help. i also never said you posted random crap ? again i thought that pic was a 5hp30 bro and so did Xalt ( assuming ). my mistake there again, no need to get upset here pal. but again that is NOT my 5hp24 tranny or my tranny lines. looks 100% different.
    weeee MOOLL 0uT !!#@$#@!@@!!!
    lol i guess i will just wait til i get my e38 back Tuesday to see then and compare, if i can't get the help here in the meantime from some one actually willing to help...

My Cars
    are slow
    Telling whther it's a 24 or 30 based on pan size and drain plug is easy.

The early 24 (interchangeable EGS with the 30 cars, weaker valve body) has it's own style of cooler as gg linked. Most 30's have a flat bar with two holes for the lines to come in.

The fact it's a NV car limits your chances to those two, and I'm betting on the 24.
    Last edited by XAlt; 05-27-2017 at 06:02 PM.

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    sad. you/ this is pathetic for a public forum where some one is just trying to get some help. there's a correct way to help some one here and then there's your way...
    but, yeah, you've got some problems guy. it's not like i would ever message you anyway? so..yeah! you go ahead and add me to your ignore list ( if that makes you feel better) ...simply because i misunderstood your post? OK. you look like a fool here bud. you are not right all of the time. no one is...i don't understand why no one over here puts you on a leash, you are extremely rude for absolutely no reason at all to people like me just looking for some help. seen it time and time again here. anyway, i am sorry you got so hurt and offended that i read your post wrong / too fast, but i did correct my self and my points still remain the same.
    again , i corrected my self and said for one i blew threw your post the first time and later on got why you posted those photos. i was doing other things / have other things going on and just read it too fast. that in no way means i have " poor reading comprehension" because again i misunderstood your post on this ONE thread this ONE time. but thanks for the insult.
    i was just looking for some help bro on where the lines go, lol. and again i appreciate you trying but seriously .... calm your self... i dont even know why you ( or anyone...really ) would act like this / try and argue instead of HELPING me over something so insignificant on a public forum where people come for help. i also never said you posted random crap ? again i thought that pic was a 5hp30 bro and so did Xalt ( assuming ). my mistake there again, no need to get upset here pal. but again that is NOT my 5hp24 tranny or my tranny lines. looks 100% different.
    weeee MOOLL 0uT !!#@$#@!@@!!!
    lol i guess i will just wait til i get my e38 back Tuesday to see then and compare, if i can't get the help here in the meantime from some one actually willing to help...
    (I'm guessing) He's frustrated because you're not helping those who are trying to help you and it looks like you're blaming others.

Slow down and read more thoroughly. That will make lots of things better.