Thread: P0015 - After Oil Change

My Cars
    330i

P0015 - After Oil Change

EDIT: Solution in Post #11

2001 330i

I've searches but found thr majority of issues were for the VANOS seals. Not sure if that's my issue.

I hardly drive the car. About 100 miles every couple months.

Did VANOS seals last year (about 300 miles ago).

Thrwe months ago did intake manifold gasket, replaced all vacuum tubes, both coolant sensors, oil pressure sensor, and Intake Camshaft sensor (junkyard but OEM).

Did oil change about a month ago (Mobil 1 0w44). Changed oil level sensor and filter.

No rough idling or difficulty driving. Everything is fine.

Was driving around last week and the SES light came on. Drove about 50-100miles after the oil change.

Only got p0015 code. Erases it but comes on after a couple of minutes driving.

Any clues? Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by shalang; 06-09-2017 at 09:42 PM.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    It's a generic ODBII Code for "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1). Can't see how an Oil Change would generate that so I think it's unrelated.

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0015

My Cars
    330i
    Quote Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
    It's a generic ODBII Code for "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1). Can't see how an Oil Change would generate that so I think it's unrelated.

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0015
    The odd thing is that a good amount of people on this forum got this code after their oil change too. For several a VANOS seal changr fixed it but I already did it.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by shalang View Post
    The odd thing is that a good amount of people on this forum got this code after their oil change too. For several a VANOS seal changr fixed it but I already did it.
    Well, it is odd for this code to follow an Oil Change. I mean, you drain the oil, remove and replace a filter, add oil. How would the VANOS seal know this?

My Cars
    330i
    Found the issue. If it's just P0015 and NOT paired with P0014 then it's the VANOS Exhaust Solenoid.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Since you're mentioning that you just changed the oil, did you make sure to replace the center insert of the oil filter cap? The VANOS system requires proper oil pressure to work correctly and failing to re-install the insert plays hell with the oil pressure. Another forum member just had this problem and didn't mention that he had just changed the oil, but another member (slacktube) caught it.

Pull the oil filter cap and make sure the insert is there. If it is there, pull the solenoids and try cleaning them out.
    Last edited by TonyAngel; 05-26-2017 at 05:22 PM.

My Cars
    330i
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    Since you're mentioning that you just changed the oil, did you make sure to replace the center insert of the oil filter cap? The VANOS system requires proper oil pressure to work correctly and failing to re-install the insert plays hell with the oil pressure. Another forum member just had this problem and didn't mention that he had just changed the oil, but another member (slacktube) caught it.

Pull the oil filter cap and make sure the insert is there. If it is there, pull the solenoids and try cleaning them out.
    Center insert? Do you mean the gasket? If so, yes I did.

Exhaust solenoid is the same as the intake. correct? Just asking since I have a spare intake solenoid lying around.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Honestly, I have an E46 and an E90, so I often can't remember exactly what is what with each car until I get back into it. All I'm saying is that the VANOS system relies on proper oil pressure to work properly. Since you mentioned that you just changed the oil, I'm merely suggesting that you open up the oil filter cap and make sure that all gaskets, attachments or o-rings are present and accounted for. It seems really coincidental that the problem manifested after the oil change.

If you've done an oil change on an E46 a bunch of times and know what's supposed to be in there, fine. If this was your first time changing the oil, you might want to look into making sure that you put everything back the way it's supposed to be. If you know that you got it right, then I'd look to the solenoids.

It's too bad that the "P" codes are all that you have to work with. A BMW specific scan tool would probably give more specific info.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    And I kept saying solenoidS. I think it's just one.

My Cars
    330i
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    And I kept saying solenoidS. I think it's just one.
    There's two, one under the VANOs (exhaust) and one on the side by thr oil filter (intake). I guess I'll start with the exhaust and swap it with a spare I have lying around. If it persists then I'll switch the Intake with the Exhaust.

Wasn't sure what you meant by center insert so I was asking if it was the gasket that goes on the cap.

Thanks again TonyAngel.

My Cars
    330i

SES light came back on.

I have a spare solenoid and tested if it worked with a AA battery. Little pin pushed out when power was applied.

Ordered a special 32mm socket on eBay for the VANOS solenoid so I wouldn't need to take off the VCG and VANOS.

Just replaced it and Cleared Faults.

Will test old solenoid in awhile and post if it pushes out with power.

*Fingers crossed

EDIT: Replaced the VANOS solenoid and it seemed to work. However a day later it came back. Lasted longer than the previous solenoid but the problem is still here.

Here is the response from Raja:

The problem is likely a sticking vanos exhaust solenoid valve.
    Replacing the solenoid will not address this.

Here's how to check and resolve a sticking vanos exhaust solenoid valve.
    With the vanos mounted on the engine, remove the vanos exhaust solenoid with a 32mm deep socket.
    Most 32mm deep sockets aren't deep enough for the vanos solenoid. The Advance Auto AutoCraft 32mm deep socket works. Also a showerhead socket works.
    Place paper towels on the radiator lower hose to catch dripping oil. Also have a paper towel under the solenoid junction when removing the solenoid.
    Where the solenoid screws into the vanos is a cylinder with red spring loaded piston. Press in the piston and release. It should press in with resistance and spring back when released. The piston movement should be smooth. If it's not then this is likely the problem.
    Pull out the piston while holding a paper towel under it to catch oil.
    Spray clean the piston and it's cylinder with brake cleaner. Dry the piston and cylinder.
    Oil the piston and cylinder and reinstall the piston.
    Check the piston movement. Press in and release the piston multiple times. Its movement should be very smooth.
    Reinstall the solenoid.

Another possible cause could be an aftermarket exhaust camshaft position sensor. Aftermarket CPS sensors don't work. You need a BMW or Siemens (OEM manufacturer) sensor.

Rajaie Qubain (Raj), President
    Beisan Systems, LLC (bee-saan), www.beisansystems.com
    2109 Longwood Drive, Raleigh, NC 27612
    rajaie@beisansystems.com, W (919) 676-1939, M (919) 345-2000
    Last edited by shalang; 06-15-2017 at 05:01 PM.