Thread: Motor randomly shut off?

My Cars
    '01 530i 5spd, '96 328i

Motor randomly shut off?

The other day I was driving home and as I came to a stop at a light, the motor all of a sudden turned off. Everything else stayed on, lights and everything. It was in neutral so it didn't stall, there were no CEL's after or before the incident and it didn't overheat. It also started up right after and I haven't had the issue come up since, but I'm curious/concerned as to why this would happen. Any info is much appreciated, thank you!
    Instagram: @boston.media

My Cars
    '98 328is, '04 330xi
    I had a similar thing happen to me, after a while it did throw a code. P1189 I think (don't quote me on that)...ended up being my ICV hose cracked and would stall the car by letting air into the system past the MAF sensor. Started slowly but got worse over a couple days. didn't get the code until about 2hours of in town driving. check the rubber connector in between the throttle body and MAF. with the car idling move the boot around a bit, if there's a crack it should stutter or stall out. that's how i found it anyway.

hope that helps.

My Cars
    '01 530i 5spd, '96 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by tice23 View Post
    I had a similar thing happen to me, after a while it did throw a code. P1189 I think (don't quote me on that)...ended up being my ICV hose cracked and would stall the car by letting air into the system past the MAF sensor. Started slowly but got worse over a couple days. didn't get the code until about 2hours of in town driving. check the rubber connector in between the throttle body and MAF. with the car idling move the boot around a bit, if there's a crack it should stutter or stall out. that's how i found it anyway.

hope that helps.
    Thanks for the info, I noticed that piece looked a little cracked when I installed my CAI but didn't think anything of it. I think I will just replace it sooner rather than later

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    If you installed CAI that could be it due any turbulence before MAF that creates shutoff condition. I had similar problem here is how you should install silicone connectors before MAF to allow no edges in the airflow as they create turbulence
    m50 mani / AA c38-81 stage 2 / 12psi / AEM progressive w/m kit / stg3 SB endurance clutch + SS / 3.38 LSD / cdv + asc delete / stromung catback + cat delete / ebay coilovers + GC RSMs / square CSL wheels / ski-pass 8" sub

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Last time that happened to me and it ended up being my maf. It's really hard to say what caused yours. I've had bad fuses cause it. Major vacuum leaks will cause it. Fuel pump can cause it. After lots of years and 7 e36s I've come to one conclusion. Vacuum leaks cause 90% of the engine issues in an e36. Especially if you don't get a check engine light.

My Cars
    '01 530i 5spd, '96 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by verobeach97 View Post
    If you installed CAI that could be it due any turbulence before MAF that creates shutoff condition. I had similar problem here is how you should install silicone connectors before MAF to allow no edges in the airflow as they create turbulence
    Good to know. As far as I know there shouldn't be any lip that could cause turbulence because the tubing and couplers were all made to match the size of the intake boot, but I'll take a look later tonight.

My Cars
    Convertible
    So.. i have a similar problem. It seems like it happens to me whenever i come to abrupt stops.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk