Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: 04 X5 3.0i radio shuts off after 20 mins.

My Cars
    2004 BMW X5 3.0i

04 X5 3.0i radio shuts off after 20 mins.

I've searched for this problem thinking it was a more common problem. Had pixel strip replaced although this shut off on it's own every 20 min before the replacement. Learned that BMW intentionally wires radio so it will stay on after the ignition is shut off (you can listen while you unload). It does not react to the ignition switch being on or off. After radio dies, I turn it on and it will go for another 20 mins then die. Like it has a timer. Someone suggested maybe the ignition switch isn't telling the radio that the engine is running. Don't want to indiscriminantly replace parts. Have changed 7 amp fuse in right back several times. Keeps blowing as soon as I put a new one in. Where could the short be? BMW is an electronic night mare.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

When the audio/amplifier shuts off after 20 mins, it means the 'signal' to tell the amplifier to remain on is absent. You could have faulty modules or a single module causing the issue, so you need to do what you mention you don't wish to, and thats to swap with known working units until you know which one is causing the issue, and/or you need to check for continuity seeing as your fuses break immediately. If you are sure you don't wish to test like that, then I'd say remove the entire oem audio system and fit with high quality brand aftermarket car audio items.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2004 BMW X5 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi,

When the audio/amplifier shuts off after 20 mins, it means the 'signal' to tell the amplifier to remain on is absent. You could have faulty modules or a single module causing the issue, so you need to do what you mention you don't wish to, and thats to swap with known working units until you know which one is causing the issue, and/or you need to check for continuity seeing as your fuses break immediately. If you are sure you don't wish to test like that, then I'd say remove the entire oem audio system and fit with high quality brand aftermarket car audio items.

Cheers, Dennis!
    Thanks Dennis for the reply. Willing buy a new radio but how can I be assured that the new one will not shut off after 20 mins? So am I understanding that the amplifier is separate from the control head? What 'modules' would I check and where are they? There is a 7a fuse in the back right that burns out as soon as I replace it. Wife wanting a new car but a new radio is cheaper. LOL.
    Steve

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    What exactly is powered by that ever-blowing 7amp fuse?