Thread: E32 LS3 build thread

My Cars
    '90 735i

E32 LS3 build thread

Still not sure how I'm ever gonna get pics posted, but for today I just want a remote storage for parts numbers, sources, prices, info compilation.
    I have a '90 735i, I have an '01 4.8L LSx V8, known as the LR4 before Land Rover unlawfully stole the designation, I have a 700R-4 to simulate the 4L60E, and next spring I'll be getting a Chevrolet Performance E-Rod LS3 crate engine, and matching 4L75E, from the same source. I would go 4L65E, but I'm planning on the Turbonetics turbo kit for LS3 Camaros. Both the LS3 and the turbo kit are 50-state emissions-legal, not that I have any legit need to care about that.
    Externally, the LS3 / 4L75E are no different from my LR4 / 700R-4, as far as fitment / mounting / connections. And as the LS3 uses an aluminum block, it's lighter than my iron-block LR4, not that it matters for this build. I would go LSA, but I want to be sure it fits under the stock hood.
    I'm hoping to find a good-flowing stainless dual exhaust for a 750, and I'm hoping to adapt an aftermarket 750 radiator.
    I went searching for 17x10s and 17x8.5s, but the prices are unreasonable excessive, so I'm settling for 17x9.5s and 17x8s. Tires will be BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S, 275/40 and 235/45. Wheels with too much positive offset can be spaced, but if there's not enough positive offset, then there's no such easy fix. Besides, big-brake upgrades tend to increase the track anyway.
    So after hours of rEsearch, Summit Racing came through again, with ARE-VN21579561 17x9.5s with a +32 mm offset, on the Chevrolet 5 lug on 120.65 mm bolt circle ( close enough ) for $ 144 each, and VSW-141H7861GM19 17x8s with a +19 mm offset for $ 117 ea.
    C5 Corvette 12.8" rotors should be easy to adapt, they're cheap, they should fit in the wheels, and I'm familiar with them.
    I sort of hate to start without the LS3, it includes an oilpan which may work, it includes exhaust manifolds which may work, it includes catalytic converters which help make it legal, and while I have an oilpan and exhaust manifolds, mine are very different. I'd hate to buy the LS3 versions twice, I could swap mine onto the LS3, but I may find mine can't be fitted into the car. So it's all about the first test-install.
    I'm hoping to try one last thing on the BMW I6 before pulling it out, running it with an electric fan and no thermostat at all. I'm then hoping to test fit my LR4, but I need my LR4 in my step-son's '87 Mustang ASAP, with my 4L80E. I have an LS4 intake manifold, and I have the LR4 intake manifold, which I've shaved for hood clearance in my '86 Camaro. It fits in there well enough.

- - - Updated - - -

I placed a bid on a good used set of 188 mm 3.15:1 gears on E-Bay, I'm thinking I'll run those until they fail from too much HP, too much weight, and too much traction, but that may never happen. If so, a Mustang cobra 8.8" aluminum IRS will probably be what gets swapped in.

My Cars
    91 735iL
    Excited to see how this turns out!

My Cars
    '92 BMW 735i(W/383 GM)
    The 700R4 will fit with a little bit of 2lb hammer. The stock radiator will support 400 hp if you put a twin 11" electric fan setup behind it. The stock fan relay system works well to stage the fans. Why are you thinking of wheels and tires before you have a motor installed? Building the headers and modifying the oil pan may dampen your enthusiasm.

My Cars
    1988 735i
    I'm excited to see this as well.

Out of curiosity, what are you doing with the M30 you're pulling out? Anything wrong with it?

My Cars
    '90 735i
    Quote Originally Posted by htrdbmr View Post
    The 700R4 will fit with a little bit of 2lb hammer. The stock radiator will support 400 hp if you put a twin 11" electric fan setup behind it. The stock fan relay system works well to stage the fans. Why are you thinking of wheels and tires before you have a motor installed? Building the headers and modifying the oil pan may dampen your enthusiasm.
    I'm still a newb to the BMW world, but in the world of Camaros and Mustangs,it's common to just list everything we want to improve, research how others have done similar, then plan accordingly. On Fox-chassis mustangs and 2nd-generation Camaro / Firebird, you have to plan both the dual exhaust and the rear tires at the same time, because they interfere with each other, for example.
    There isn't going to be any oil pan modification, though I already did that to a cast aluminum GM pan when I LS-swapped my previous '86 Camaro. This time I fabricated my own oilpan out of mild steel, making it as close as physically possible to the dimensions of an '80s Camaro SBC oilpan. If it doesn't fit, then other things will be cut and welded as necessary.
    I'm not sure as I haven't yet looked into it, but the E32 may be rear-steer, and if so, then I absolutely will be converting it to front steer, for the very reasons that the 1970.5 Camaro changed from '69's rear-steer to front-steer. Likewise how Mazda changed the '86 RX-7 to front-steer from '85's rear-steer.
    Headers, definitely not. For an E-Rod LS3 to remain 50-state legal, you must find a way to fit the included exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters. Some guys have gotten away / sneaked through with different GM LS manifolds, but there's no mistaking headers for manifolds. There are enough guys putting headers on 2010-2015 Camaro SS that those manifolds, which are the ones that the E-Rod LS3 uses, are readily available very affordably. Besides, 430 HP should be more than enough, and if not, the Turbonetics kit still keeps those manifolds.

My Cars
    '90 735i
    Quote Originally Posted by bfam4t6 View Post
    I'm excited to see this as well.

Out of curiosity, what are you doing with the M30 you're pulling out? Anything wrong with it?
    It keeps overheating. I started with a new pump ( metal impeller ) and new belts and a new thermostat all at once. Then I burped the cooling system as soon as the gauge got to the middle of the normal reading. It still overheated, so I tried drilling 2 steam holes in the thermostat, then drive, re-burp. Still overheated. So I trashed the viscous fan in favor of an electric fan. That helped some, but not enough. It still overheated. So now I've pulled the thermostat and as soon as I get a new tube of RTV sealer / gasket-maker, I'm planning to go back up there Saturday and try running it with no thermostat. I expect and hope that this will kill it, or at least be a "free" fix.
    I was planning to scrap it, it isn't a good enough engine design to be worth trying to save. If you want a good straight 6, there's the Toyota Supra engines, or better yet, the Chevrolet Trailblazer offering, which are far more readily available, at far lower cost, with far better transmission options in the T56 Magnum or the 4L75E, or even a built 4L80E with a TCI low-ratio gearset. The 4LxxEs can be set up for paddle-shifting, too.
    Shipping an M30 to KC, MO wouldn't be cheap, either. It'd cost you more than the Trailblazer engine. But if you really want it that much, then please feel free to PM me an offer before Saturday.

My Cars
    '92 BMW 735i(W/383 GM)
    Now I'm really excited to see this happen.

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by 734i View Post
    But if you really want it that much, then please feel free to PM me an offer before Saturday.
    M30s are always in demand, people like them even if they offer little redeeming qualities compared to a JZ, an M52 or a Vortec 4200.

They sound nice, they're reliable, and they drop in.
    Last edited by XAlt; 06-06-2017 at 07:16 PM.