Thread: Euro Headlight Set - Parts Needed Clarification

My Cars
    840Ci

Euro Headlight Set - Parts Needed Clarification

Hi all,

I recently bought a low mileage 97 840Ci and this is my first post here.

I have read more than 15 threads on here about lights and Euro Conversion and I think most of my question are already answered except this very specific one.

When buying the complete Euro Headlights as pictured here do I also need to buy two units of #2 (HEAD LIGHT VERTICAL AIM CONTROL) and two units of #3 (WIRING HEAD LIGHT)? Or does my US Spec Headlights already include them?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=63_0264
    01 HEADLIGHT LEFT 63128354523

01 HEADLIGHT RIGHT 63128354524
    02 HEAD LIGHT VERTICAL AIM CONTROL 67161392321 (x2)?
    03 WIRING HEAD LIGHT 63128354539 (x2)?

Thank you!
    Mike

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Vertical headlight control is NOT supplied with the US lights. You will also need the switch for the dashboard (the wiring for it is already there, as is the wiring at the round connectors by the headlights - plug and play for that.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Believe those parts are included but not 100% on that maybe cartoonz will clarify (hopefully without the coated bearing plug. Are you buying new euro headlight$?
    Why not buy the complete euro set used?
    Where in Cali are you at?

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    keep your coated plugs to yourself Ed!

As for the lights... only an insane person would buy "new" Euro lights from the dealer... buy a nice used set somewhere (those WILL come with motors for sure) and if you feel they need refreshing, buy new lenses... that's one of the cool features of the Euro lights, you can replace the lenses... Then, you'll need a leveling switch and maybe a reprogrammed/Euro LKM if you want to get real fancy... but at over $1k from the dealer (who will NOT actually sell them to you in the USA), you're far better off on the secondary market.

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    To actually answer your question - if you buy the Euro lights, they come with the vertical aim adjustment motors. Your us wiring can be adapted to work.

The vertical aim motors on the Euro lights require a seperate three pin connection from the motor to the headlight harness round plug. You simply add the three pins to your existing connector.

Finding the three pin connector for the motors was difficult. You may have to order from BMW if you are unable to find it on the market. I can dig up some information on it if needed.
    Last edited by toomanyparts; 05-26-2017 at 05:17 AM.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    Vertical headlight control is NOT supplied with the US lights. You will also need the switch for the dashboard (the wiring for it is already there, as is the wiring at the round connectors by the headlights - plug and play for that.
    Thank you for the heads up. Can you please tell me the part number for the dashboard switch? Also do you have any pics of the actual location of the switch on the Euro E31?

To make sure I understood you correctly so far - I should buy two units of VERTICAL AIM CONTROL (part# 67161392321) when ordering the headlights but no need for the wiring (part# 63128354539), right?

Thanks again!

My Cars
    840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon850 View Post
    Believe those parts are included but not 100% on that maybe cartoonz will clarify (hopefully without the coated bearing plug. Are you buying new euro headlight$?
    Why not buy the complete euro set used?
    Where in Cali are you at?
    I am located in Southern California, OC to be exact. And yes will be buying the new headlights. I fell in love with this car when I first saw it back in 1996 and had to wait 21 years before buying one in mint condition with less than 30k miles. Anything that goes on it I prefer to be new. The parts for this car are getting harder and harder to find; a new headlight that costs $1k today will probably be listed on eBay used for $3k in a few years by some greedy seller. The guy that is selling those E31 stock exhaust tips for $650 on eBay is just one example. And before anyone asks, no I don't have deep pockets but I intend to enjoy this car for a very very long time and and I want to keep it in mint condition.

My Cars
    840Ci
    If I was as knowledgeable and technical as many of you on this forum buying them used would makes sense but the truth is I'm not and don't dare touch anything on this car on my own. All the mods will be done by people who know their way around the car. Based on past experience, when you can't do it yourself it's best to supply the shop doing the job with new parts for a peace of mind. I rather do all the research on sourcing the parts and making sure the job is as plug and play as possible. I always envy and respect those of you who do these mods on your own

My Cars
    840Ci
    If I buy the VERTICAL AIM CONTROL (part# 67161392321) does it eliminate the need to do additional wiring adoption? As mentioned above I'm trying to make this a simple plug & play if possible. I was under the impression that getting all the required parts outlined in the ETK would make this mod an even swap. Sorry If I sound confused, that's because my technical knowledge about cars is next to nothing. I appreciate any information regarding additional parts required to do this job.

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by mtmt840 View Post
    Thank you for the heads up. Can you please tell me the part number for the dashboard switch? Also do you have any pics of the actual location of the switch on the Euro E31?

To make sure I understood you correctly so far - I should buy two units of VERTICAL AIM CONTROL (part# 67161392321) when ordering the headlights but no need for the wiring (part# 63128354539), right?

Thanks again!
    Aim switch you can find used for $10-15 on ebay.

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-e36-316i...dWszmI&vxp=mtr

No, opposite way around. You do not need to buy the two vertical aim control motors - they are a part of the complete euro headlight when you order them. You just need the wiring for the 3 connections to the aim motor. I built my own, but sourcing the connector was difficult and may not be possible in small quantities. Other option is to just buy a set from ENGL in Germany.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Only ECStuning possibly can sell you euro parts...and that's not a guarantee

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Check with Wuffer for everything.
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors