Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: steering wheel tilt and drivers seat dead no loose connection and new control module

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed

steering wheel tilt and drivers seat dead no loose connection and new control module

im pretty much stuck, new fuses and i picked up 3 control modules and still steering wheel tilt and drivers seat dead. i was lucky enough to have the seat stay in the position i drive normally but the steering wheel is in the upward factory location when it tilts back and its soo awkward driving. Anyone have a clue or can point me in the right direction? ive checked all threads and nothing, everything points to the module which isnt the problem......
    540i 6spd DUDMD tuned-weekend brute, sounds like an M5 throaty V8 "Vtec-ish" cam noise.

Hummer- 35inch MT's, Adventure offroad package.

check out my video gear
    https://kit.co/Lv5multimedia/mobile-videographer-set-up

Best Oil hands down for bmw
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1441c0abde2552

My Cars
    E46 E39
    Quote Originally Posted by vien View Post
    im pretty much stuck, new fuses and i picked up 3 control modules and still steering wheel tilt and drivers seat dead. i was lucky enough to have the seat stay in the position i drive normally but the steering wheel is in the upward factory location when it tilts back and its soo awkward driving. Anyone have a clue or can point me in the right direction? ive checked all threads and nothing, everything points to the module which isnt the problem......
    Did you replace the module where the seat buttons are attached to, correct? Check for any bent pins. Also, make sure the connector sinks in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1986 635csi 2001 530i
    Common problem, take off plastic cover covering seat switch and gently pry external controls off.
    Screw in front, recessed hole, same in back, also screws that are facing down. need flashlight to see what kind of screws were used
    What happens is the seat switch has a male/female connection and one of the four "walls" of the female part break losing connection.
    This connection also supplies power to the wheel control so you lose that too.
    You will see what I'm talking about when you remove the plastic cover.
    Put wall back, maybe glue it, or wrap with black tape.
    Use mechanics wire ( no room for zip ties ) to wire 2 pieces together and you'll never have this problem again.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    did you guys not read my post i tried all that already ive seen the other posts thats why i said i got 3 modules , checked the connection, and put new fuses ive already wen t through the rounds as stated. OBVIOUSLY not an easy fix......
    540i 6spd DUDMD tuned-weekend brute, sounds like an M5 throaty V8 "Vtec-ish" cam noise.

check out my video gear

My Cars
    02 525,01 X5,99 323IC
    Hey Mr Vien, you might want to turn down your attitude regarding people reading your post and trying to HELP YOU! Predict after that last response you might be on your own after this.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    Quote Originally Posted by capebmw View Post
    Hey Mr Vien, you might want to turn down your attitude regarding people reading your post and trying to HELP YOU! Predict after that last response you might be on your own after this.
    thats cool thanks for the input, but its very frustrating when people assume i didnt go through the rounds already when its stated in the OP. IF you assume there is an attitude then you're interpreting that wrong.

check out my video gear

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    heh heh I'm half with him on this one. he DID say that he'd replaced the module 3 times...

however...

re: what M5xTU said - he's just saying be sure you check the connectors closely / triple check ,not just swap parts. then also check the big yellow connectors to the seat itself very closely. the finer pins in that connector can get bent up and create a nightmare for diagnosis. axe me how I know. whats that? well thanks for asking: well I tore incredibley long list of things apart all around the car chasing a P-bus problem before finding it was simply a bent pin under the seat. I'd definitely looked at it... but not closely enough. wasted huge amounts of time.

Problems on the P-bus can cause the seat memory/controller functions to fail. Does your sunroof control work from the memory? Specifically like if you do an "all close" with the key in the drivers door, does the sunroof close? Does the center console lock button work? Those get borked up when the P-bus isn't working too.

2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    thank you i was waiting on you for input possibly lol, its weird i dont think any pins are damaged reason being checked most all connections and the common places, it was weird everything worked just fine nothing is bent or broken i was driving the car and parked home when i came back from being out with friends and boom next morning no worky. Thats when i saw the posts and researched the common connector/module problem went and got 3 modules that were working and all same part numbers plus i also replaced the grey plastic holding clip as well still no go. then i checked the fuses and noticed #13 was there but no #21. So at that point i added the 5amp to #21 and replced the 30amp on #13 still nothing. The memory buttons light up but i dont hear the motors or anything its just dead. im very lucky the seat is in the right position but the steeing wheel being upright sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    heh heh I'm half with him on this one. he DID say that he'd replaced the module 3 times...

however...

re: what M5xTU said - he's just saying be sure you check the connectors closely / triple check ,not just swap parts. then also check the big yellow connectors to the seat itself very closely. the finer pins in that connector can get bent up and create a nightmare for diagnosis. axe me how I know. whats that? well thanks for asking: well I tore incredibley long list of things apart all around the car chasing a P-bus problem before finding it was simply a bent pin under the seat. I'd definitely looked at it... but not closely enough. wasted huge amounts of time.

Problems on the P-bus can cause the seat memory/controller functions to fail. Does your sunroof control work from the memory? Specifically like if you do an "all close" with the key in the drivers door, does the sunroof close? Does the center console lock button work? Those get borked up when the P-bus isn't working too.

- - - Updated - - -

also my plastic side pieces or the connector and all were solid i was lucky enough to not have anything broken from the beginning.
    Last edited by vien; 05-26-2017 at 08:36 AM.

check out my video gear

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Didn't answer my question about the other P-bus functions though.

This is exactly how my failure worked. I put new seats in and drove the car for a WHILE with everything working. Suddenly one day drivers seat isn't moving - oh and mirror control wasn't working - all this funny mystery stuff... After tons of wasted time... yellow connector pin borked under the seat.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    I checked that this morning still connected but didnt see anything broken externally. Ill check during my lunch break and just pull the clip off, should i be looking for anything with it besides anything bent or ? and for safe measures when i try to unplug and replug since its never been touched should i disconnect the battery or i can leave it be?

Didn't answer my question about the other P-bus functions though.

This is exactly how my failure worked. I put new seats in and drove the car for a WHILE with everything working. Suddenly one day drivers seat isn't moving - oh and mirror control wasn't working - all this funny mystery stuff... After tons of wasted time... yellow connector pin borked under the seat.

check out my video gear

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    You can leave battery connected, but dont turn the car on with the plug out as it will trigger airbag lights as the seat stuff is disconnected.

The trick is that the tiny pins (that get bent) are in the seat-side of the connector. Therefore kinda hard to see down on the floor.

The seat-side connector however clips in and out, so you can remove the plug, then unsnap the seat connector from the plastic thing that clips onto the seat rail, and maybe move it around a bit more to see. You need good light and eyeballs.

Still haven't mentioned the P-bus related tests... center lock button work? Sunroof close with key? Mirror remotes all working OK? Those are a 2 second test.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    yes my bad all the center lock stuff works as far as the buttons on the remote and locking and unlocking the car, i dont have the car coded for the sunroof i didnt even know that existed. Ill check the side mirrors just in case as well. SO just to be clear big yellow plug under seat in front part disconnect, then disconnect side seat module connector check for pins if everything checks good connect back and connect big yellow plug back? so if there are no bent pins which ill check with my flashlight and that doesn't work?

You can leave battery connected, but dont turn the car on with the plug out as it will trigger airbag lights as the seat stuff is disconnected.

The trick is that the tiny pins (that get bent) are in the seat-side of the connector. Therefore kinda hard to see down on the floor.

The seat-side connector however clips in and out, so you can remove the plug, then unsnap the seat connector from the plastic thing that clips onto the seat rail, and maybe move it around a bit more to see. You need good light and eyeballs.

Still haven't mentioned the P-bus related tests... center lock button work? Sunroof close with key? Mirror remotes all working OK? Those are a 2 second test.

check out my video gear

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    One trick you can try is if its too hard to see the seat-side connector, taking a pic with your cell phone (flash on) and then looking at it blown up. If I have time I'll get into the basement and look at my spare connectors and if I think of any other tips will post them.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    wont be hard i took it all aprt so i can just easily unclip and see the connector if we are talking about the same one that connects to the control module?

One trick you can try is if its too hard to see the seat-side connector, taking a pic with your cell phone (flash on) and then looking at it blown up. If I have time I'll get into the basement and look at my spare connectors and if I think of any other tips will post them.

check out my video gear

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Huh? Look at the whole big yellow plug under the seat. Simple as that. Here's an innerwebz pic.

The floor side connector you can slide that black cover off too and see if anything under it is wanked up. It's almost impossible to eyeball the 'socket side' from outside, you have to wiggle connections and see if something is intermittent and then pull the socket-pins out to really confirm there's a problem on that side. For the 'pin side' you can more visually see problem.

2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    got it yeah thas the one i saw ill check it. I know for sure ive never messed with that or disconnected it ever so i just dont see how that one would be messed up but better safe than sorry and check it anyway.

Huh? Look at the whole big yellow plug under the seat. Simple as that. Here's an innerwebz pic.

The floor side connector you can slide that black cover off too and see if anything under it is wanked up. It's almost impossible to eyeball the 'socket side' from outside, you have to wiggle connections and see if something is intermittent and then pull the socket-pins out to really confirm there's a problem on that side. For the 'pin side' you can more visually see problem.

Last edited by vien; 05-26-2017 at 12:37 PM.

check out my video gear

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    welp checked everything and no go still no bent anything wiggled everything.

20170526_130842.jpg 20170526_130902.jpg 20170526_131001.jpg 20170526_131005.jpg 20170526_131123.jpg

check out my video gear

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    OK - was worth a try. Can check some other things that might short out the P-bus.. Also basic is to check the power supply to the seat (the 2 really big pins in the connector you unplugged - those should be hot all the time...)
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    OK - was worth a try. Can check some other things that might short out the P-bus.. Also basic is to check the power supply to the seat (the 2 really big pins in the connector you unplugged - those should be hot all the time...)
    yeah ill have to check with a volt meter im just stumped at what it could be ive tried everything else lol

check out my video gear

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Well - look into the P-bus wiring diagram too. If any component or wire shorts it out , it can cause weird symptoms.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    Well - look into the P-bus wiring diagram too. If any component or wire shorts it out , it can cause weird symptoms.
    yeah looking at that as well, just for safe measure im going t my buddys house who has an m5 and check all the modules just in case all 3 are bad which i hardly doubt but you never know.

check out my video gear

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    switches are good no idea at this point, no wires from what i saw are shorted at all, could seat motor affect this also from doing same symptoms for control module? i do know before my drivers seat was making noises from motor before......

check out my video gear

My Cars
    E39 M5, 525..e34 525 x3
    Searched for weeks trying to figure out why my buddies seat and wheel didn't work...finally took the carpet up under the passenger seat and found this. Reconnected/repaired the wiring and all is well. Hope this helps?[ DSC01905.jpgATTACH=CONFIG]601397[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ( e34)
    '91 525i calypso/parchment (Big Red)
    '92 525i calypso/parchment ( parts)
    '95 525i alpenweiss/parchment, 5spd( parts)
    ( e39)
    '01 530i Msport susp. anthracite/gray
    '02 525i Msport susp. jet black/sand
    '02 M5 jet black/blk-silverstone
    (e53)
    '06 X5 alpenweiss/truffle brown

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    whoa, that is in a e39 under the passenger seat?

Quote Originally Posted by will308 View Post
    Searched for weeks trying to figure out why my buddies seat and wheel didn't work...finally took the carpet up under the passenger seat and found this. Reconnected/repaired the wiring and all is well. Hope this helps?[ DSC01905.jpgATTACH=CONFIG]601397[/ATTACH]

check out my video gear

My Cars
    E39 M5, 525..e34 525 x3
    Yes, it's under the carpet and sound barrier...seems his car had taken on some water and corroded the connections...
    Quote Originally Posted by vien View Post
    whoa, that is in a e39 under the passenger seat?
    ( e34)
    '91 525i calypso/parchment (Big Red)
    '92 525i calypso/parchment ( parts)
    '95 525i alpenweiss/parchment, 5spd( parts)
    ( e39)
    '01 530i Msport susp. anthracite/gray
    '02 525i Msport susp. jet black/sand
    '02 M5 jet black/blk-silverstone
    (e53)
    '06 X5 alpenweiss/truffle brown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast