Thread: Need some help/advice!

My Cars
    2007 328i E90

Need some help/advice!

Hey everyone,

Been a while since I've been on here. Looking for some advice/help from all you auto body guys out there. So about a month or 2 ago, my car was hit and run, it looked like a plow side swiped my car. Woke up in the morning after a night of some snowfall to find my rear passenger door area all scratched up. I uploaded a photo. I presume it was a plow truck thatdid it. But anyway, contacted my insurance they don't want to pay anything and want me to pay my $1000 deductible to fix it but not really worth it. Now I've done some basic body work before, like sand down and respray areas that were scratched up and bruised but never his kind of work. Really want to try and do this on my own, so I am asking all you savy auto body guys and gals of any help, advice, suggestions, and if you know of any videos/DIYs that can point me in the right direction to get this fixed up without replacing the door for $500. If you guys think there is no fixing/saving this I'll just pay up the $500 and get a new door and get it painted. But I'm a pretty good DIYer done most of the work on my e90 myself.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E90, E46
    Yikes. Body shop.

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    Body work is an art, and takes a lot of practice.

Some of the scratches might clean up with acetone/nail polish remover. I'd do as little as possible, and use touch up paint only, as spraying usually just makes a mess.

Finally, if it's on the passenger side, you'll never see it!

My Cars
    95 Mercedes C220
    All the panels are saveable, but by the time you buy all the tools, you are better off to just let someone fix it. A good shop could fix that door, or to save some money, find a good quality used door the same color, this way you do not have to jam it, but will probably have to paint the outside(hard to find a used door without SOME minor damage). Then its just a matter of bumping the dog leg and rocker. But I always tell our customers, on the average, it cost about 4-600 dollars to paint a panel on a car depending on the size. I know that sounds like a lot of money, but it is the reality of collision repair and why I would not recommend anyone have a deductible over $500. As far as if you decide to DIY it, there is not much I could tell you that you couldnt find looking on youtube. The only advice I would give you is this; Its not the paintwork that will make it look good, its the prep. The process of removing the dents, using the filler properly, sanding, priming, and blocking is where the "artwork" is done. You cannot cover up bad metalworking with good paint. Remember that.

My Cars
    2007 328i E90
    What would you guys specifically call that damage? Scratches? Dented? Scrapped?

My Cars
    95 Mercedes C220
    Well, it was all caused by a scrape. But the damage to the rocker is a gouge, and the rest is dented.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk