Thread: Can you help me diagnose this braking noise? [Video inside]

My Cars
    00 528/5 & 02 530i Sport

Question Can you help me diagnose this braking noise? [Video inside]

Let me know what you guys think... Pads look fine. I'm not sure how much of this can be heard from the outside.

It doesn't seem like normal screeching like when the pads are worn.
    Last edited by JPR10; 05-24-2017 at 10:43 PM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Check the dust shield.

My Cars
    00 528/5 & 02 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Check the dust shield.
    What should I be looking for specifically?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    The thin piece of metal behind the rotor:https://i.ytimg.com/vi/q9O6TjvA_vA/maxresdefault.jpg
    They can become bent, and rub against the rotor.

My Cars
    00 528/5 & 02 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    The thin piece of metal behind the rotor:https://i.ytimg.com/vi/q9O6TjvA_vA/maxresdefault.jpg
    They can become bent, and rub against the rotor.
    Will check it. How would applying the brakes cause the dust shield to rub the rotor?

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    rocks, junk, bent by road debris etc.

Tip of the day:
    Now go out there, pull the wheel off, pull the calipers off, check the pins (replace them if you did not do so before) add caliper grease to the friction/touch points on the pads to calipers. Take off the rotor and look at the face of the dust shield to see where and if it was rubbing. Remove all the rocks dirt etc from the dust shield .
    Q: Does the wheel have any marks from contacting something before reinstalling.
    Q Is the brake pads installed with the friction material facing the rotor?
    Q: Is the friction material still on the pad?
    Q: Is the friction material all over heated and glazed looking? (Yes = trash 'em) Quit using your 3.0 as a track car want to B.

Helpfull?
    Last edited by StephenVA; 05-25-2017 at 12:34 PM.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    00 528/5 & 02 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    rocks, junk, bent by road debris etc.

Tip of the day:
    Now go out there, pull the wheel off, pull the calipers off, check the pins (replace them if you did not do so before) add caliper grease to the friction/touch points on the pads to calipers. Take off the rotor and look at the face of the dust shield to see where and if it was rubbing. Remove all the rocks dirt etc from the dust shield .
    Q: Does the wheel have any marks from contacting something before reinstalling.
    Q Is the brake pads installed with the friction material facing the rotor?
    Q: Is the friction material still on the pad?
    Q: Is the friction material all over heated and glazed looking? (Yes = trash 'em) Quit using your 3.0 as a track car want to B.

Helpfull?
    Could be the guide pins... good point.

I just got the 530i and the PO said the "brakes were recently serviced"... no paperwork, of course.

Pad depth looks sufficient, and i believe the friction material is facing the right direction.

I will pull the wheel and inspect the rotors... After looking a pictures, it looks like the rotors may have been affected by glazed pads? Can take a closer look. Will report back w/ pictures.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by JPR10 View Post

Let me know what you guys think... Pads look fine. I'm not sure how much of this can be heard from the outside.

It doesn't seem like normal screeching like when the pads are worn.
    LOL...oh yeah, it CAN be heard from the outside!! It sounds like the reason I do my own brakes. Get some anti-squeal brake paste and as suggested, inspect carefully and then coat the contact areas of the brake pads with the paste. That should solve the issue...GL.

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    00 528/5 & 02 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolinARC View Post
    LOL...oh yeah, it CAN be heard from the outside!! It sounds like the reason I do my own brakes. Get some anti-squeal brake paste and as suggested, inspect carefully and then coat the contact areas of the brake pads with the paste. That should solve the issue...GL.
    I hope you're not talking about the contact areas meaning the friction material... right? Are you talking about the corners of the pads that touch the caliper/carrier?

Yeah, I just got this car a month ago so I'm sorting through a bunch of stuff... brakes, shimmy, and vacuum leaks (P0174) to be exact.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Correct. The anti-squeal goes on the back of the brake pad where it touches the caliper, and the metal piston, as well as the corners of the pads. Easier to just put it on the caliper where those pad hooks slide.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    Correct. The anti-squeal goes on the back of the brake pad where it touches the caliper, and the metal piston, as well as the corners of the pads. Easier to just put it on the caliper where those pad hooks slide.
    +1...those contact points will cause the annoying squeal that you describe and posted.

I had the same brake squeal because I trusted the marketing of "anti-squeal" backing on the pads...sheer BS from my experience. After pulling and putting the paste in the proper zones, I have silent braking on the '00 AND the '03. As a matter of fact, when I was at the dealer, there was a much newer E90 that had just had brake work done by the pros and it was squealing like a biatch as the brakes were applied. This is just another reason I am an avid believer in DIY because if it's your car and you want it fixed right, you'll DIY!!!

I was also getting the shimmy again on the '03 after replacing the TAB's with PowerFlex so I opted to replace this time with fresh thrust arms and G.A.S. Monoballs. It was WAY worth the effort because the annoying, infamous shimmy has COMPLETELY disappeared through all speed ranges and I am one very happy camper...

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Yeah. Those G.A.S. monoballs are great. I put them on the 540i last year. This year (after rod bearings are done), I'm putting them on the E60 M5.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    00 528/5 & 02 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    Yeah. Those G.A.S. monoballs are great. I put them on the 540i last year. This year (after rod bearings are done), I'm putting them on the E60 M5.
    When did you get an E60 M5? Did you post about it? I must've missed it.